How many games will you lose when your iPad updates to iOS 11?

The next big Apple iOS update is a doozy that threatens to render hundreds of games inoperative. It’s the meteor coming to strike down the dinosaurs of legacy apps.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/04/11/many-games-will-lose-ipad-updates-ios-11/

Lately the question isn’t “will this break my stuff”, it’s “will this break my iPad”. I spent hours yesterday trying to get it to boot after installing 10.3.1, and the app store has been squirrely as fuck since 10.

And you have hit upon one of the many reasons why I will never buy an Apple product, and why I hate them so much. I went through the wringer with Apple with a macbook pro, as well as my music studio that cost me 700$ per 2 g proprietary ram stick.

I actively hate that company.

The only one I really care about is Dungeonraid.

Thanks for the warning on this. Have lots of old apps I want to still use/complete before losing them forever.

Hmm, I’m unable to click on Applications to see what may not work after this update.

I can’t either. The idea of losing the Golem Arcana app (needed to play the board game) has me terrified much more than any random $2 game that I don’t play anymore.

If you have the latest iOS version, the other method is to open an app and see if you get a popup saying the app needs to be updated.

Sadly, I’ve been dismissing those messages when they began to popup a few updates back, I think. I don’t remember which apps had those or not. I know the one we use as a baby camera monitor popped up though, so for that reason I’m hesitant to upgrade now. :(

Oh yeah they are killing off 32-bit apps, right? In iOS 11?

Yep and new file system. Sucks if you use no longer supported apps, but it’s a big step forward for the OS.

Settings -> General -> About -> Applications will list the apps on your iOS device that won’t work with iOS 11.

The new filesystem is in iOS 10.3, actually.

And it’s unclear why they would actually stop 32bit apps from running entirely. I guess they could save a bit of disk space for the libraries and such, but that’s about it.

What I think will happen is that 32bit devices will be desupported. So your iphone 5/5c and ipad4 won’t get iOS11.

Thanks for that. 5 out of 114 for me. Only one I care about, which I think I paid $10 for (How to Cook Everything).

Well, I have not been prompted for an update, but I have…an iPad 3 I think. The first Retina one. If they don’t want me to upgrade I’m good with that. I don’t want to lose apps.

I can’t click on Applications to give me the list.

If you can’t click on it, you don’t have any.

Ugh, this category includes all the Cave shooters, POWDER, and the DK Simulations wargames. Not a huge number of games, but definitely some that I would really miss. I’m on the fence about my next phone, and this definitely pushes me away.

I can’t click “applications” either and I know for a fact that I have “slow” apps, especially anything from Matrix games. Weird.

You might need 10.3.1, that just came out within the last week.

App makers still have 5-6 months to upgrade their apps as well. 11’s beta isn’t even out yet. I would send them an email if you care. Of course we all have apps that haven’t been updated in several years and probably never will.