How many laws can Michael Cohen break? (all of them)

Mostly the NY FBI office, which is basically all Rudy Giuliani’s old pals.

Most of the actual inhabitants of NYC loathe Trump and overwhelmingly voted against him: Trump only got 19% of the vote there.

But the fact that Trump and his company are so brazenly criminal, and so bad at doing the crimes, does raise the suspicion that Trump has had the fix in for decades - not just with the FBI, but with other NYC authorities and media as well.

The NYC media, who knows perfectly well who Trump hangs out with, was oddly quiet about Trump’s shady pals during the campaign. I recall reading one story around election time where one NY reporter was quoted as saying that Trump’s mob connections were old news that nobody cared about. But that seems ridiculous in light of what we know now: if any other major candidate had a personal lawyer who was raised with and hung out with gangsters like Cohen, or who hired convicted criminals like Felix Sater, the press would have made it front page news for months. In the case of Trump, though - crickets.

But the fix only works when you’re on top: once you start to plummet, that protection you paid for melts away. So now NY state is investigating Trump’s “charitable” foundation (and, everyone assumes, his taxes) and the media have started dishing on things like how Cohen’s uncle ran the main Russian mob nightclub in NYC, or that Sater was in prison for a year for stabbing a guy in the face with a broken glass.

The best people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/michael-cohen-federal-custody/2020/07/09/c30d7bce-c213-11ea-b178-bb7b05b94af1_story.html

Hah! I think going out to eat at a fancy French restaurant would be one of those grounds.

Also, note that Coronavirus is so serious that Cohen had to be released, but it’s also benign enough that the nation’s children are going to be forced back to school.

I wonder if Roger can bunk with him next week?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-09/stone-should-go-to-prison-during-pandemic-u-s-says-in-reversal

Waaaay back in 2016 Josh Marshall said that Trump and co. were the sort of people who would cut every corner and push every boundary so much laws had to be invented and enforced instead of relying on norms and trust. Case in point.

Quel dommage.

“We’ll let you stay home, as long as you don’t do these things, which you will also not be able to do if you are sent to prison.”

Who refuses that kind of offer?

A moron. See Exhibit A, above.

Especially considering that no pardon from Trump is forthcoming.

Someone should start a poll/betting pool, “Who is Trump going to pardon?”

Well keep in mind he’s dealing with the federal BOP here, which has shown itself very willing to do Trump’s dirty work. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he was asked to sign something outrageous. Perhaps something permanently forfeiting his rights to ever speak or write about the president?

I’m just speculating, of course, but the story doesn’t add up with the scanty information we have. I’ll be curious to see how this one develops as more information becomes available.

I believe that something like this was the sticking point.

Judge orders release of former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen by Friday, saying book publication restriction was ‘retaliatory’

Ya, I admit I was wrong when I criticized Cohen not abiding by their rules. The DOJ apparently tried to make him agree not to publish a book about Trump, and he refused, and that’s why he got thrown back in prison.

Which seems overtly corrupt on the part of the DOJ.

Seriously, if you can’t throw a guy into prison for not doing what you want, what exactly is the point of being President?!