How many tables will you eventually own for Pinball FX3?

Nice, that change to the cross ramp in Excalibur should fix my biggest issue with that table. And making the obsidian reset in sorcerer’s lair will disallow the ludicrous 1B+ scores we were trading for a while.

Sweet, cabinet mode (3 monitor support, basically) works perfectly on day zero as well. I used my old cabinet code they emailed me and it’s up and running.

Old tables don’t look a whole lot better in the new engine, but the improved dynamic lighting is somewhat noticeable. I need to play more of the 3 new tables, which I assume were built from the ground up to be on the FX3 engine…

"Doom Pinball

• Fixed a bug where the mini playfield gave too high score."

Shit I loved the 37.5 million score in Nightmare :(

Yup, it’s just a problem with the Steam store showing ownership of packages. All the tables show up correctly when you launch the game. Yay!

Well, I beat Wumpus and Tom’s high score in Jaws on my 1st try. Now if I never play or look at the leader boards again, I’ll always be number 1!

Don’t worry, Wumpus’s pinball setup runs on Qualcomm, there is too much lag for him to get those high scores.

I kinda like the cheesiness of it.

Jumped in and put up a respectable 249M on my old standby Sorcerer’s Lair. @wumpus, did they add notifications for when a friend beats your score?

Amazing that they did this, but still don’t have it working correctly at 3440x1440. The top and bottom portions of all the UI and menus get cut off. And unlike FX2, you can’t even play 2560x1440 with black bars on the sides, since it automatically stretches to fill the screen. Also seeing some annoying stutter, especially when there are popups.

Besides that, though, it looks promising. Lots more explicit structure and goals to go for when you don’t feel like putting in the time to try and improve on already high scores.

I started a tournament on Mars. Password is ‘quarterto3’

Er what? My cabinet main monitor is 2560 x 1440 rotated and it works fine.

Right. But my monitor is 3440x1440.

Oh I see, so it is ultra-ultra-widescreen and that causes an aspect ratio issue. Shouldn’t some weirdness be expected with an oddball resolution like that?

Eh ultrawide is definitely a niche (around 1% on the latest Steam hardware survey), but the majority of games from the last couple of years have supported it just fine. In fact, this plays fine on it once you’re in the actual table, it’s just the menus that are borked.

This is pretty bad even as lazy, cursory support goes. The hierarchy of options for a developer supporting non-standard resolutions would go something like this:

1. Use the extra space productively to expand your field of view and display more information. Takes extra development effort, so I have no hard feelings if a developer doesn’t go to this level.
  2. Show the normal 16:9 view in the middle, and slap a static border or black pillars on the sides. This is 100% fine with me, and takes basically 0 development effort.
  3. Take the normal 16:9 view and stretch it horizontally. Not ideal aesthetically, but it’s also no development effort, and at least everything’s on the screen, so it’s acceptable, especially for menus.
  4. Render a 16:9 view in 3440x1935, then just don’t display a few hundred pixel rows on the top and bottom. Huh??? I’ve never seen another game take this approach because it makes no sense whatsoever.

And again, I played FX2 in 2560x1440 with black bars on the sides and was totally fine with it. They removed that option.

They are pretty responsive so I suggest opening a topic on their forum! Especially if it worked in FX2.

I challenge you all to try and beat my score on Castle Storm

This was my first attempt.

Last night I played one round on all the original tables that I own (9 I think). For some reason the Classic Pack Pinball FX tables from the first games didn’t transfer over, but they were the worst ones anyway, so I don’t care.

Tonight I’ll try to set a score on all the Marvel Tables I own (12? 13 maybe), and all the Star Wars tables I own (3). That way other people on my friends list can have a score to aim for and easily beat.

I’m playing the Win10/Xbox PlayAnywhere version.

Will these scores still show up against your steam friends?

I don’t know. It did ask me if I wanted to link my Gamertag account with my Zen Account, and I said yes, and then it said “Connecting…” for a long time.

But now I probably need to connect my Zen Account (whatever that is) with my Steam account somewhere. Maybe I should fire up the Steam version tonight, just so I can do that.

I don’t think there’s any Steam leaderboard integration at all in this version. I only have the Steam version and I get nothing without a Zen account.

It’s great to be playing pinball again! It’s crazy how much I’ve forgotten about some of the tables since I last played Pinball FX2.

Really enjoying this new version so far.

I really enjoyed it too. I can’t put my finger on why, but most of the tables now feel better to me. There seems to be a slight change in physics which is making a big difference for me.