How much do you spend on gaming in a year?

From Xbox Live itself. I kept looking for cheap deals all year, but never really found a good one. There was one I tried from a shady website, but the code didn’t work, and they were nice enough to refund me.

And then, a month before my Live was set to expire, Xbox Live itself (XB1 dashboard) offered me another year for $39. So I took it.

I spend far less than I use to. I have the lingering habit of buying things on Steam and GoG because I want to play them, but don’t have all the time. Maybe I should give up sleep.

Thousands

Are we counting the twenty grand I spent on Star Citizen jpegs?

The title clearly says “gaming”.

I would propose that dropping money in any quantity on Star Citizen at this point is some pretty high stakes gaming.

You Twitch millionaires live a different life than the rest of us.

Not as much is I spend on running (shoes, entry fees, medical…) so I guess I have my priorities right.

I usually spend 200-300 a year. Much like others have mentioned, 100 or so on Steam sales of year old games and 100 or so on brand new releases. What is left over at the end of the year goes to my “new computer fund” as I will probably need one in 2018.

Considering up until 2 years ago I was a pack a day smoker (about $320 a month) my gaming habit is a very cheap addiction. It would be fun to check my $/hr on certain games.

I bet my best ratio would be with ARK: 200 hours and I bought the game on sale for $20.

My worst: Destiny 2. $60 retail and about 20 hours before I went and played Warframe.

I bought a new PC, a PS4 Pro, and a Switch this year… and managed to keep it under $200/mo. A lot of that is down to Humble Monthlies curbing my impulse buys of random Steam games and bundles.

Non digital (board games etc) about a $1000
Computer games, console & dlc etc probably about $2500?
Hardware / gaming equipment usually around $1000 although that can spike a few grand every couple of years when I get a new PC or my kinds need one or there are several consoles out.

My son spends about $1000 a year my daughter about $500

Considering gaming is my primary form of entertainment I feel I get great value for money.

There are enough games out there to spend 50 bucks a week on? Goodness :)

I know you are kidding around but sadly the answer is “no” :(

My spending tends to come in clumps around sales or the big console release season.

I wish there were enough games I like released each week for me to buy. Its part of the reason I disagree with the current thesis that pc gaming is saturated. On the contrary I want more games that appeal to my tastes. Unfortunately the flow is still way too slow imho. You compare it to something like electronic music where for a very narrow music audience there are an almost daily cool new releases.

I hope games will get there one day. Right now there are just not enough games imho.

But do you play them?

Most, within a few months of purchase. Although I admit the amount of “boot er up, yeah this is gonna take a lot more work than I want” purchases also account for a good %. Also there is a second larger tier of games I play for an evening or maybe two and then they are gone for a while. Deserts of Karnak, Steel Division for example are in this category. Not bad games at all just may not be played a lot going forward.

And again its all fine. Its not like this is a lot of money compared to many hobbies. Like making electronic music for eample. I can blow a LOT of money on that, or telescopes.

You?

At least it isn’t booze, women, and movies!

I probably spend around 300-350 on games, this includes gaming gifts, another 100-200 on hardware replacement and then the year I actually do a build is easily just over 2k. Now that I am getting into console, I expect it to go up.

I buy whatever movies or games i want and am limited by time. I do not, however pay for cable so Hulu, games and movies are my in the home entertaintments…

throw in board games and it’s probably 600 a year easy on games.

Now that I’m home and can give more than a smartass quip, I did a quick tally to see where my money was spent this year:

$165 to Humble Bundle
$75 to GoG
$55 to Steam
$30 to CDKeys

so $325 in total on games. That’s about average, though Humble Bundle grabbed a much larger share this year than previously.

Also spent about $600 in gaming-related hardware, mostly peripherals.

Does Patreon pledge to support Tom count?

It’s saturated for creators trying to make any money. Electronic music can be thrown together as a side project by a single person. I wish I had more AAA character action games to play every month, but I don’t think the market would support them. We need more players.

I cringe for the consumers a bit too since most of them haven’t narrowed down to a niche so they try to play everything or just fill up their backlog.