How Much of a Bottlneck is your PC experiencing?

Mine is at zero. My laptop was made to run VR.

I have a 58% bottleneck, I don’t think this is very accurate.

Intel i5-4690k @ 4 GHz and a RTX2080.

Nah, it’s not - this is more for fun. Most games are more GPU-dependent, after all.

While the bolded is truth, this isn’t as inaccurate as you may believe. GPU itself also needs a cpu to execute any and direct3d graphical command.

Metro Exodus? It can vary by 30fps with the same gpu

In AC Odyseey you can have mins with 25fps of difference with the same gpu, depending of what cpu you have

etc etc. That’s only just two I searched.

edit: or look the most popular game right now, Fortnite, a very well optimized game. 60 fps of difference:

So the basic point of this tool is true: you can have a bottleneck between your gpu and cpu, if you ‘overbuy’ the gpu.

This remains by a massive margin my most clicked on link. :)

Finally swapped my scores… the new 1660ti gets slightly choked up on an i7 4790k. Success!

Changing from i5 4670k to Ryzen 7 2700 reduced bottleneck from 58% to 8% on that stupid test.

… and also improved your AC: Odyssey frame rate, so maybe the test is not that bad after all.

Actually, setting the storage to two NVMe M.2 SSDs to go along with my 1080 Ti have reduced it further to 2.54%.

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/A8-5600K_APU/GeForce_GTX_750_Ti/0nn0Jp8A/

Average bottleneck percentage: 0.21%

First time I have tried this. I have 100% of bottleneck, lmao! Hmm, maybe I really should upgrade my GPU.

Now that I think about it, I may have mixed up remembering what GPU I have in there… I will have to check!

Mine is a GTX980 and Intel 8700. So only 2% bottleneck!

Interesting, my 8700k and 970 with 32gb RAM produced a 52% bottleneck rating. Must be a hell of a jump from a 970 to a 980. Subbing in a 2060 or 2070 got it down to 2% or so.

Intel Core i5-4440 (Clock speed at 100%) with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (Clock speed at 100%) x1 will produce 60.75% of bottleneck. Everything over 10% is considered as bottleneck.

Might be time for an upgrade soon…

You should doublecheck that you got it right. If you did, your 100% will finally beat my 94%, which was winning this thread so far.

I have 100% bottle neck with my gtx 1060 and i9-9900k.
Still not going to upgrade until I see the prices for the next generation cards, and even then I may not upgrade. My frame rate is fine for the games I am currently playing.

Does the 8700K have the same cpu clock speed as the 8700?

The 8700 has a base clock of 3.2, the 8700k has a base clock of 3.7, but I have mine running at 4.88 GHz.

So my bottleneck is probably even worse than reported by the calculator, now that I think about it.

Did the benchmark change? It used to report my i5-4670 / GTX 970 combo as ~5%, now it reports 13.81%.

In any case, that was my old combo. Now it’s the i5-4670 matched with a GTX 1070 Ti for a 43.49% bottleneck. Which was expected. Have been planning for a while to upgrade the CPU whenever Intel made the jump to their 10nm process. Now it looks like I’ll be upgrading to an AMD Zen 2 CPU instead.

Hah! I know I was being an idiot after… I mixed up an old video card with one I had. I got lucky to get a 1070 card before the big price jump and thought I still had a 770 lmao. It now says:

Average bottleneck percentage: 0.34%

That is better! I felt dumb getting one of the first Haswell E processors when I probably could have spent more efficient money on a faster clock, but seems to be still doing okay for what I use it for still today (i7-5820K).