How should we arrange the "Game of the Decade" QT3 poll?

Why are we allowed to pick multiple options? Seems that the third choice is inclusive of the first two. I guess if someone objects to allowing people to have it both ways. But then, isn’t that also covered by selecting one of the first options and not the third?

Whatever we choose some people aren’t gonna be happy, just pick one and get on with it.

I thought it would kind of be like, “hey, if we’re going to settle on a single scoring method I’ll take this one, but if other people want to vote their own way that’s fine, so I’ll pick that too.” So the alternative to me (only picking one of the top two) looks like “this is the way we should score it and everyone should do it this way no exceptions”. I’m probably reading some people’s intentions wrong.

Everyone vote for Skyrim and just call it a day.

Hm, so what you’re saying is that maybe it’s time for another poll about how people are reading that poll?

I’m joking in case that’s not obvious

What I can read right now are 9 people are jerks with jerk faces who should go jerk off.

No wait, that last part sounds wrong.

I am kinda curious about how to handle series best. It seems like they might self-select themselves out of the running if separate entries re tabulated separately, and yet, in some series, differences between them are quite significant. e.g., the NBA Live games AFTER they went full bore pay to win, versus before, and that’s still within the mostly-static sports genre. I have to imagine innovations are occasionally introduced into the CODBLOPSes of the world

Probably agree on a series name with your peers, everyone votes on the series name, and you can add caveats in your description/explanation of the vote.

How about a mechanic where we vote against someone’s choice, with a D20 modifier?

I agree on agreeing.

I for one would like to put my vote in for the Bros series

Broforce
Bros - A Tale of Two Sons
Bros in Arms 3: Sons of War
New Super Mario Bros U

Which makes me wonder: is this poll limited to video games, or all games?

If the latter, wondering how many votes Mage Knight will get.

Games released in the last decade are candidates for the vote.

Oh no. Are you saying we’re including… board games too, physical games?

Yep45

You know I was going to include at least one. X-wing is a dead set tie with EU IV. It was always going to be named if board games were official or not.

Well now I have reconsider my whole list! I have to put some board game / card games on there.

We’re strictly enforcing release dates on a games of the decade list? That seems wildly ridiculous to me. Particularly the decade under discussion where the concept of a specific release date has become often quite a nebulous idea. But we’re allowing board games?

This is your list of games of the decade. What games people should allow themselves to consider for their list is between them and their games. Any crazy votes will be self corrected in the final tally by the fact that no one else will vote for Civilization 2 or whatever.

As for games series, I think you need to apply some kind of distinctiveness test. If something is clearly just an iteration, then the whole series should be the vote. If the games differ a lot, say with the three Dawn of War games, then each should be voted for individually. I think this is important (where as release dates are not) because it affects arrendek’s ability to tabulate the results.

Sports games should probably be a “series” but anything else is not. There’s plenty of differentiation between all the Call of Duty games, Grand Theft Auto, Super Mario 3D World, Land and Odyssey, etc. for those to be individually listed.

Released in the decade or I’m out. I won’t even vote if we’re letting people vote for games before the beginning of the decade. That’s totally worthless. That’s your best games of all time. It’s a different discussion.

What is the definition for ‘released’? Dwarf Fortress’ first alpha came out during the previous decade, but the game still hasn’t hit 1.0 and will probably still be in continued development for decades to come.