Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

Paused. Possibly the weakest Monthly ever.

I played what I think was an early version as a festival judge. Honestly, our group (a bunch of game devs, which might make a difference) had a lot of fun with it, but mostly in that way that struggling to understand and manage an unwieldy thing with friends can be fun. I assume it got some polish since then and maybe a better tutorial. If you really like Overcooked, you’ll probably like this.

I played it but only briefly, I didn’t advance enough to judge, although the first impression is that is was a somewhat annoying game, because some of the mechanics and interface. It was coop only game, mind you.

This marks 3 months in a row pausing. Declined $4 off coupon again. Very disappointing when they can’t come up with 12 games worth a total of eight dollars for three months running!

I’ve bought 2 bundles out of the past 6. I haven’t played a single game from either. So I think it’s fair to say I should raise my threshold for purchase. Part of that is just me having less game time, with a kid and a job that’s requiring more of my time.

This one’s a pause for me. That’s three in a row.

If I think I might want to play one game out of the 12, eight bucks is an extremely low threshold. They haven’t passed that threshold since May. So I mean… yeah. I’m staying subscribed, because I’m F’in Iron Man with pausing every month and maybe it’ll pick up. But I’m not enthused about it.

Pausing is for people that don’t realize that the real game is padding your Steam game owned numbers. It is like Progress Quest with real money!

I need to fool myself into thinking I might play at least one of the games to cough up any money.

Did Humble change the way the subscriber discounts work recently? My monthly subscription was unpaused today, but the site still lists “Subscriber Perks” as Inactive, and I’m seeing no subscriber discounts in the Humble Store.

I’m wondering if we now need to commit to the current month of Choice in order to get the discount now. Previously the discount was in effect unless I paused for the month.

Then you were the beneficiary of a glitch, because that’s not how it was supposed to be working. You have to pay for the month to get the discounts. That’s been true for many years now.

I’m surprised so many are still subscribed. I feel like 80% of the engagement in this topic each month is people screeching “PAUSED”. Like, why not just cancel at that point? You’d save yourself the angina of not seeing three AAA headers every month. You can always sign back up for a month if there’s a good one.

Just let go!

Ah thanks, it must be because I paused last month then. I’ve rarely paused much until recently so that’s probably why I didn’t notice this before.

Yeah, I think it will work for up to two months after you subscribe, until the time comes to pay again.

Like I said earlier, I’m extremely good at pausing, and you know, it’s something to do.

I have gaming ADHD, so I want ALL THE GAMES, so for the most part the bundles are a great deal for me. I think I’ve only paused once.

Personally, I buy a couple of bundles a year. It’s worth keeping subscribed to maintain the lower rate for more games when those occasions pop up.

That is a very strange assumption about why people are pausing that, to my eye, is not supported by the data. Personally I’m not looking for “AAA headers” and I’m not perceiving a lot of stress or anger about the topic either. I’ve got games I’m looking for and games I’m not interested in. When a couple of the former show up, I happily hit “purchase.” I look forward every month to seeing what the slot machine will come up with. Hitting pause (six times) isn’t a big deal.

Come to think of it, this matches my experience too.

Isn’t it 20 bucks to get the full bundle as a new member vs the 12 for grandfathered Classic plans? I can click a few times to get it for about half price (I haven’t paused, but I totally could if I wanted to. Yep.).

Less, since if you pause a lot you’re virtually guaranteed a $4 discount the next time you buy.

Now where is that like button?

And I buy as many as 3 or 4, even!

For those of us grandfathered in on the classic plan, which we’d otherwise lose, it doesn’t make sense to cancel unless we’re absolutely, 100% certain we’ll never buy another bundle. You can pause as often as you like with no danger of dropping out of the plan.