Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

There’s a difference between a reseller, who lets whoever sell any keys they have to hand there, and something like Greenmangaming or even CDkeys, who as far as I can tell are the sole vendor on their site and just maybe take advantage of regional pricing or the like. I am not ashamed of buying keys from stores like the latter, even CDkeys (who seem shadier than GMG, certainly). I don’t trust resellers. Part of why I even buy games (it’s so easy to pirate them if I were so inclined) is to make sure the creators get paid. And I can’t guarantee that with an unknown key source. Nor can I guarantee it won’t get disabled or me in some sort of trouble. As stusser says, if you’re okay with those possibilities in exchange for a cheap key, go in with your eyes open. I’m just saying I’m not, and letting folks know so they can make their own call.

Hm I guess it might be a bit safer if it’s a game that was recently included in a bundle. Otherwise, unless it’s some low priced off-region activation workaround, a really cheap price is probably too good to be true (and legit).

I ran the numbers on 3 games I am buying this month on Humble vs Eneba/CD Keys. The games are Dying Light 2, Elden Ring and Disciples: Liberation. Humble Choice costs $12 for the monthly, but you get a $12 discount each in DL2 and ER and $6 in Disciples. Plus $6 in wallet credits. That’s $24 off which puts the prices almost the same as the key sellers. (pretty sure my math checked out)

While I have used both Eneba and CDkeys with no issues, I think Humble with Choice may still be the way to go for making multiple big ticket purchases. Plus they aren’t sketchy key sellers.

Of course, starting with the February Monthly, if you Pause a month your discount will drop to 10% when you come back. Don’t know if you factored that in.

Not sure what you mean? I haven’t used the Monthly since 2018. I plan to sign up for the monthly in Feb, purchase my games and then cancel the month. Will that not work?

When you first sign up, you’ve already spent the money for that current month and are stuck with those games willy-nilly. If you’re down with that no matter what they are (and if they give you the 20% discount for that same month as a new subscriber) then I suppose it works. So your plan would be to cancel Humble Monthly entirely right after buying ER and DL2 etc.?

Seems like if they give new subscribers the 20% right off a lot of people would do that if they like the current month’s games. Easy to game the system that way, but I suspect Humble will catch on eventually and not give 20% off right away.

You need to sign up before February 1st to be grandfathered in at 20%. If you ever skip a month you reset back down to 10%. The discount amount won’t reach 20% again until 12 consecutive months of membership.

Ah, as I suspected, they won’t give new subscribers (starting Feb. 1st) the full 20% off. And having to sign up before that date means that you have to buy January’s games (Mafia Definitive Edition, Iron Harvest etc.), since they don’t reveal February’s bundle till February 1st, right?

Now on the bright side that means that if February’s games are hot garbage (which I doubt since they want to reel more people in), then you wouldn’t have to buy them if you cancel before the last Tuesday of February, and could enjoy the 20% discount in the meantime.

I honestly don’t care about the Bundle games. I just want the discount. So I will still get the 20% if I buy Choice in January?

This is what the Elden Ring page looks like. I just assumed I would get the $12 discount.

Untitled

Sure, but you’ll have spent 12 bucks on January’s Bundle of games, unless I’m very much mistaken (if you like the January games, more power to you, if not, what’s the point).

The point is to get 20% off on other games which makes paying the $12 worthwhile.

If you’re planning to buy a couple more games besides Elden Ring as you indicated, that’s a good plan.

For myself, I generally find that other stores have better deals most of the time, so I don’t pay much attention to the discount. That said I am currently tempted to get Valheim with the sale price+discount (the discount does stack, or has) for 12 bucks just to see what all the fuss is about.

Is “wallet credit” (which I assume the “$3 back” thing mentioned in the image) something they only give for purchases on more expensive or newer games, BTW?

Valheim is a good game with friends; currently waiting on the next update with my gaming group.

Oh nice. That’s a good price. Is that game expected to be a 2022 release, or is it 2023? Does anyone know?

How is it as a single-player game? Only buy if you’re into survival games?

Unfortunately these days my very extended adolescence (I’m 60 but in some ways live like I’m still in college-- being single helps) is no more, since I’m my mother’s caretaker (memory issues, can’t really live by herself).

Definitely only if you like survival/crafting games. It’s a fairly relaxed game as the genre goes. It’s not spoiling anything by saying you’re already dead, so “survival” is more about overcoming obstacles, retaining inventory (although there’s still corpse runs you can do) and maintaining skill levels than any dramatic risks. Although it should be noted the game is far from completely chill; AI assaults happen as rare events, boss battles to unlock next tiers, certain biomes being exceptionally challenging, etc…

However, there’s only the skimpiest barebones of a story and a limited variety of enemies; Valheim is primarily for lovers of sandbox games. Because of that lack of story content, I’d suggest playing with friends on a closed server, but it’s not like you need to arrange raids or worry about PvP events.

You and I seem to have similar taste in games based on purchase habits and other threads. I went into Valheim thinking it would be a fun little Minecraft-like diversion for a few hours while I was between games.

I’ve spent 150 hours in it so far.

I can’t explain the appeal other than “it just grabs you”. There is always another task you want to accomplish, always another area to explore just over that next hill, always something new to find or build…and while it is quite hard at first, overcoming those initial challenges and slowly learning the limits of what you can do as you advance through the biomes and discover more and more is a big part of the fun.

If you dig survival/exploration/crafting games at all, you will enjoy Valheim. $12 is a steal for it.

Did Valheim ever tweak the drop rate and/or wildlife density? It wasn’t a bad game but, playing it a year ago, it was just miserably grindy, especially if you died and had to replace your gear. It took eons to get a few scraps of leather because there were too few boars and the ones that were present often dropped nothing when killed.

There was clearly the germ of a great game there, but it was a total chore to play at that point.

You can get a similar price at greenmangaming without all this humble choice nonsense.

Boars can be tamed and farmed.