Humble Bundle key redemption is awesome again (mostly) but the games are kinda meh

Kingdom new lands is very good. Effectively a side on tower defense game.

Looks like I will be getting my first…

Skipped last month as I have little interest in puzzle games.

Skipping this month too, but only because I already have Dirt Rally. It’s an awesome rally sim.

Kingdoms: New Lands was my #1 game of last year! Here’s way:

• Super elegant: Ride left, ride right, stick coins in things to do stuff
  • A totally unique kind of discovery: What does that shrine-y thing do? Gotta build it!
  • Beautiful art: Dynamic atmosphere, water reflections, fire and things. Yes, painted in pixels.

Try it!

Well, you many not like The Witness if you are not into puzzle games, but it’s considered one of the best releases of past year. I already had it.
Also, Kingdom and Event [0] had good reviews by critics, though clearly they aren’t the most mainstream games and not everyone will like it.

I said ‘fuck it’ and bought the annual package of monthly bundle (pay 11, get 12 months). I haven’t been buying games in the last months except bundles so I shouldn’t get a lot of ‘repeated’ games.

Definitely glad I paused this month as I already had the only 2 things in it that I would be interested in. Next one though is a no brainer assuming Steam refund me my purchase of Inside from a couple of days ago…

Kingdoms is great. But beyond that, that is one woof of a bundle.

Kingdoms was on my wishlist, and it’s priced at $14.99. I already had Witness so I got the $5 credit. Basically, it’s Kingdoms for half off ($7) plus a handful of games I may or may not like. Seems like a good deal from that perspective, but I admit there have been plenty other bundles that looked better from the outset.

Dirt Rally definitely has me interested. The videos and streams I’ve watched remind me a lot of the old game Rally Trophy by Bugbear, which I loved. Nothing like driving a virtual Morris Mini down dirt roads at 100+ km/h at the edge of control.

Well, then you are a much better man than I, because I couldn’t go 30 in Rally Trophy without flying off the road.

It probably helped that I was using a wheel/pedal combo with force feedback (the ACTLabs Force RS) Trying to play it without analog steering and acceleration/braking would have been impossible.
I assume that Dirt Rally supports Xbox controllers (including the wired 360 one, I hope).

Yeah, and I had a Logi Momo befor the cat ate the cable…

Seriously, I couldn’t drive in a straight line in Rally Trophy at grandma speeds. You still have the RS? I remember thinking about that one before I got the Momo.

Yup, still have it, and amazingly someone cobbled together (unofficial) Windows 7 drivers for it. Now I haven’t actually used it in a few years at least. Also have no idea if there are Windows 10 drivers.

I reviewed Rally Trophy for Computer Games Magazine! That was good stuff.

I still have my Force RS and I even bought the Dreamcast cart for it. :)

It was good stuff! I also loved the 1960’s/early -70’s cars modeled. The only other driving sim so far that gave you that kind of realistic driving model (just going by the sights and sounds of course, and the way it responded to the controls) is maybe Richard Burns Rally. So can anyone comment if Dirt Rally is anything like that?

BTW, @Misguided I could only drive at anything approaching 100 clicks down long straightaways. Otherwise it was all about powerslides and finessing the throttle, and doing about 50 at best.

I loved RBR, but it’s been a long time since I played (I know there are fan patches and stuff, but like I said before, haven’t done much racing in a long time). I haven’t played enough to make that comparison, but my initial instinct is that Dirt Rally is likely a little bit more approachable. I want to say it reminds me a lot of CMR 2, which is an unexpected surprise (though it shouldn’t be). This feels like Codemasters has gone back to their roots. Again, I’m going from memory here, and nostalgia may be blinding me. Also, I’ve played one rally in one car, so ymmv.

I would say that while Dirt Rally is (marginally) more forgiving than RBR, it’s still firmly at the sim end of the realism spectrum.

Certainly if you’re looking for a driving experience that’s challenging, occasionally frustrating, but makes you feel like a rally driver (weight transfer, throttle control, etc) then you can’t really go wrong for $12.

Just a reminder to anyone who is thinking of subscribing to the Humble Monthly for the first time…hit up a friend or QT3 member who already subscribes for a referral link. They will thank you for it, as it nets them $5 in Humble Store cash.

You still get the 10% off (so $10.80 instead of $12.00) price on the bundle as a new subscriber even if you use a referral link.

Now you tell me

Anyone who wants to send me a referral link for the Monthly Bundle please do so via PM. I’ll use the first one that comes my way. Thanks!

And thanks to @lordkosc for the quick response!