Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age - Crytek, co-op monster hunting

Could be very cool, will probably be

Ehh we will see how it turns out. Hopefully good!

I am totally hooked on Hunt Showdown now. Really great game that rewards tactics and movement instead of just twitch shooting which at my age, not the best.

What?! They really will do anything but a PvE mode!

(Trials dont count)

Yeah, I’ve been struggling to peel myself away from it too this year. Unexpectedly I’ve had a very reliable group to play with so it’s been brilliant. It became my most played game on Steam months ago and I don’t see that slowing down any time soon…!

(I’d love to know how much time I sunk into Sea of Thieves but the Xbox client app thing apparently doesn’t log that stuff, or at least it’s not easy to access.)

I have been playing with randoms for the most part and been impressed with how cool the community is. For the most part, I have had very good experiences which is great. Some folks I do join in with have over 2k hours played compared to my sub 150 hours played so when I join them, the opponents are much tougher and savvy but hey, I get the experience and wisdom! Or that’s what I tell myself at least! I did get my 4th star now and prestiged twice so getting there.

Oh I’m so glad to hear that. I only did a few games with randoms with mixed results but that was quite a while back so maybe the community has changed a bit since then.

Yeah, a few of the folks my brother and I play with are in the thousands of hours too. It’s a wonderful and unique mix of elements: slow, tactical but brutal and intense play; lots of interactions with the environment that overlap in all kinds of interesting ways; players duking it out amongst horrors of the bayou and plenty of sound traps to give your position away. It’s not very often you play a game where sound is so damn important.

My favorite is when you go for like 25 minutes with nothing and swear you’ve matched into an empty server and then off in the distance hear a single gunshot.

Yeah when I first played Hunt, my experiences with playing with randoms wasn’t great I didn’t stick with it back then but dove back in and am now hooked! Sound is so critical indeed!

Kolbex, totally been there…many times!

Just bought this, downloading now. Anyone got any “I wish I knew that when I started” kind of tips?

• use the knife to kill zombies, don’t use heavy knife or dusters until you’re confident
  • fuses can kill armored and hives pretty easily
  • running stamina shots is really really good, i have been bringing in two and popping them right at the start of the raid for 20 minutes of free stamina.
  • it’s not a bad idea to retire hunters immediately at 25 to increase your rank to unlock more things
  • you can burn other hunters bodies with a firebomb to encourage their teammate to fight and push you, and you can put out a fire on your teammates body by using a choke bomb on it
  • any gun can be effective in this game so dont worry too much about which guns you use or wanna get good at

Thanks guys. Those make a bit more sense now that I’ve played a bit, heh.

Hard to match with anyone on the European server this evening, sadly. The couple of Russians I’ve played with were decent people though, but I felt bad they had to speak English for my benefit.

Noob question: why wouldn’t bounty carriers make all speed to extraction? In the game I just played one team did that, but the other team - after picking up bounties - hung around the target area for absolutely ages before finally running to extraction.

Trying to see if anyone is lying in wait to bushwhack them, maybe?

Make other hunters come to them, while they are in a defensible position after setting up traps. Hope the other hunters whittle each other down so they have less to contend with when they finally move out.

A lot of people are only there for the PVP. Getting the bounty and sitting on it is an invitation to fight.

Yep, exactly that. If they use their bounty darksight and see hunters within… I think it’s 150m, then depending on their weapons and personality, they’ll wait it out. Sometimes hunters will wait just outside the compound and darksight range to lure out the bounty team. Some bounty teams will wait for other hunters to start duking it out before making a move. Sieging well defended compounds can be difficult without close quarter weapons though.

My general tips for staying alive:

• Noise is super important. Listening to cues like enemies being aggro’d, twigs snapping, footsteps, hunter sounds (vaulting or jumping), chickens/kennels/horses/crows (and which way they’re flying–they always fly away from the thing that scared them). Stopping to listen is often enough to allow you to get the jump on people. That said…
  • Sneaking is useful, but you’re incredibly vulnerable when moving slowly or staying still so watch your sightlines and try to keep in cover where possible. Sneaking isn’t silent either so hunters that are listening might hear the very delicate crackle of slow footsteps…
  • If you’re being shot at, move unpredictably so you’re harder to hit. It’s often only two hits to kill you.
  • Try to get a feel for effective weapon ranges: without that you’ll waste valuable shots and opportunities.
  • Take your shots when you can get them unless you’re trying to synchronise attacks with a teammate. Nobody landed a shot they didn’t take.
  • If someone is watching an angle (like a window you’re in or a corner you’re around), try not to re-peek: rotate to another spot and keep them guessing as to where you are!
  • Don’t get too close to interior walls. There are sometimes enough gaps in the wood and metal sheeting (and the odd bit of clipping) to make ‘wallbangs’ (shooting you through walls) a lot easier.
  • Don’t underestimate close quarter rushing with a knife/axe/sabre/bayonet when someone whiffs a shot. It can be faster and more deadly than reloading!
  • Quick Play is a fantastic place to practice. It’s zero stakes, zero dependency on teammates and a great way to get into fights quickly and get a feel for different weapons and traits, as well as the maps themselves. And if you win you get a Soul Survivor to carry into Bounty Hunt with all their gear and traits.

Thanks again. I’ve been slowly having more success. I teamed up with a Canadian guy this evening and I thought we did OK for a pair of total noobs. We took out some hunters but ultimately got taken out by their teammates. Gotta learn to be more cautious I think.

Melee is definitely underrated. I killed a hunter who was taking pot shots at me with his pistol by running up and knifing him while he was reloading.

Am I correct in thinking vets will always know roughly where the bounty targets are? I ask because we get banishing notifications as soon as we’ve only found the first clue.

no, they’re random every time. its just, sometimes you get randomly lucky and your first compound is where the boss is and they kill it right away

OK, I guessed luck had something to do with it. However I got a couple of kills this evening simply by lying in wait between the bounty and the nearest extraction point.