Hurricane Ian

Dang, that’s a bit more than I expected.

Lives are more important, but it’s also going to be a struggle fixing or replacing those flooded cars in the current market for parts and vehicles. Ouch.

Just a reminder for anyone who’s hunkered down and still has power: If you lose power and are using a portable generator - KEEP THE GENERATOR OUTDOORS. Also, not a bad idea to keep it away from any open windows.

You’d be amazed at the number of people who die from carbon monoxide poisoning in the days after a storm. Folks get worried that someone may steal their genny and move it into the garage, not realizing how dangerous that is.

Yes. Very much this. OTOH I regret not getting a generator. That will be fixed soonest.

I’m just curious, no problem working in the rain? I have no experience with generators.

My mother is in Ft. Myers with a friend, having shrimps and liquor at the moment. Seems okay as the worst should end soon, but they ended up taking the brunt of it.

For anyone buying a car over the next year or two; spend the money on a Carfax, as a vehicle declared a total loss to a flood will be deemed basically worthless to an insurance company even after it gets all nicely cleaned out

Also, “take me back to Mold City, where the mold is black and sickly”

The way most modern generators are built means they don’t have an issue with running in inclement weather, although it’s always a good idea to keep them out of the rain if you can. That’s the reason for keeping them away from an open window, because a lot of folks put them right next to the house so they’re partially covered by the eaves.

Thanks.

Explained to the wife that if the power is out for any length of time that we have MREs, if she wants a hot meal. She said what about the charcoal grill? I explained (mansplained?) that using a barbecue grill in the garage was not a good idea.

I got two boxes of those Mountain Home dehydrated meals (you can usually find them at Costco).

If the big one hits Cascadia and we lose electricity and gas, I’ll use a camp stove to heat water for coffee and hot meals.

By the Prophets, those are brave motherfuckers flying into a hurricane like that.

That one guy smiling and laughing the whole time slays me.

He’s the Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Twister of the crew.

You would have to completely sedate me to get me on that plane.

Damn. Sorry about your coffee Nick. Imagine being in the hurricane instead of above it.

I’ve had similar turbulence flying to Denver, but it can’t compare to the long career of a 30-year old storm chaser I guess.

I’ve not seen it so I’ll take your word for it.

WE HAVE DEBRIS! 🐄