I hated discourse at first and now I hate sites that don't use it - LOL

The scrolling and save function in threads has spoiled me beyond belief. Good job on the transition and training some of us dummies to use it :)

It is my dream that one day even @JeffL becomes a Discourse fan!

Well, OK, a man can dream. šŸ’­

I am still frustrated that you cannot ā€˜likeā€™ a post or otherwise give it a thumbs up. An internal like, not a facebook like.

We should just all respond to Tomā€™s post with ā€œLIKEā€ until he acquiesces and enabled actual-likes.

Downvoted.

Unfortunately, Discourse doesnā€™t allow a reply of just ā€œLIKEā€.

Also, Iā€™m here to say LIKE.

/like

sjklfhlk

Edit: Apparently Discourse will allow you to respond with ā€œLIKEā€ provided you mash your keyboard first with your fist like some sort of animal.

And you cant quote a like either, has to be your own.
IKE.

I think that this system is pretty great now, excellent job with the transition everyone.

And I absolutely positively love that we donā€™t have ā€œlikesā€.

I really like the QT3 incarnation of Discourse. The many tweaks that @clay et al made to the default look ā€˜nā€™ feel make a massive, massive difference. I unabashedly like it much better than even XenForo now.

I mean itā€™s aight

I enjoyed your post, good sir. You could even say, I ā€œlikedā€ it.

Here, @arrendek, have some

Donā€™t you bring up that demon site, sir!

So I have some thoughts on likes and Discourse.

I do not like infinite scroll and I think itā€™s a bad design. It makes it incredibly difficult to come back to a thread youā€™re reading on a mobile device after you switch tabs or apps when that device insist on reloading the page when you return thereby losing your place in the thread.

Having recently returned from a place that has likes I can honestly say that I want them to die in a fire. My perspective on likes is that they become a form of bullying that encourages people to like-brigade.

If someone agrees with something I consider it better to join the conversation. The like button ends up allowing a small number of very vocal posters to create an orthodox echo chamber by doing the speaking for everybody else. Instead of getting a variety of shades of opinions, people just click like and move on.

In my opinion it becomes a way to bully and silence the people who are posting and very conspicuously NOT receiving the likes.

So infinite scroll can DIAF but likes deserve to be shot and then burned. :D

No such thing happens in Discourse in either case. Try it yourself. Position is retained.*

Also w/r/t likes is this because youā€™re a christian fundamentalist, possibly even a Trump voter, on Broken Forum? That would be ā€¦ difficult. Not judging you, just an observation about culture. Thereā€™s a lot less politics here, and I think the site is better for it.

* caveat: you must be logged in, of course!

I dislike likes, but I like this thread.

DOES NOT COMPUTE ERROR ERROR ERROR

Yes, position is retained. As you scroll through a thread in Discourse the URL actually changes dynamically. So when it reloads, you end up right where you were.

Well I would not describe myself as a Christian fundamentalist because that particular label has certain connotations about doctrine and belief that I am opposed to.

I am however a bible believing confessional/conservative Lutheran and I think most non-religious people would find my religious beliefs to be almost indistinguishable from American Evangelicals or Fundamentalists though I would never call myself either of those terms and I think that in general the communities that do use those terms to describe themselves are getting a lot of subtle but critical things very badly wrong.

But other than one or two people on one or two occasions, I never got any bigotry from people ate BF over religion.

As for being a Trump voter, I would never ever have voted for Trump in a million years for a variety of reasons, the most important of which is that I think he simply is totally unqualified for the job. I do not personally hold any animosity to the average Trump voter and I think the tendency to absolutely tar all Trump voters as irredeemably racist is wrong and counter-productive to boot. But I had very few real political disagreements with people at BF.

Ironically, the thing that made me quit BF was that it almost didnā€™t matter what people posted over there, there was always a chance that the uber-mind would descend on you and berate you until you just gave up. Basically how you were treated when you showed up and apologized for some remarks youā€™d made a year earlier. (P.S. If I said anything unkind to you in that thread I heartily apologize though I mostly remember trying to calmly explain that people were still frustrated with you and that it was cool if you wanted to be part of the community but not as cool if you were just there to gather research on Discourse.)

The thread that made me leave BF was actually a thread in which I suggested that because of the insane degree of partisan stratification in the US that we might be on a way way road toward a future dissolution of the country due to a total inability to work together across the partisan divide, and I suggested that people might look back on the Trump candidacy (he hadnā€™t won yet and I considered it almost an impossibility) and agree that it was the beginning of the end of the United States. This was perhaps an overblown suggestion but several folks took it upon themselves to call me names and tear me a new one.

The nastiness in the No Manā€™s Sky discussion over there was another example.

In my opinion, the founding principle of BF was the idea that a standard of conversation should be enforced by the owners and moderators of a site that prevents trolls and jerks from dominating the conversation. In reality however it turned out that in Animal Farm style, some animals are more equal than others and the rules and norms I thought applied werenā€™t real (or perhaps degraded.)

So Iā€™m back here after a three year hiatus because I didnā€™t know where else to go to post my random thoughts :D

As for infinite scroll, I donā€™t think itā€™s working 100% like you guys are suggesting because I have lost my place in a thread. Not sure what to sayā€¦I literally had to give up reading a thread because of it. I donā€™t know what happened but I donā€™t think itā€™s as fool proof as you guys think :)