I love Lego

I like Lego and I like Mario but I don’t get the appeal of this… But whatever, kids.

Can’t be as bad as the Minecraft sets. Right?

…ugh.

But there’s a lot of Lego I don’t get. For instance, Ninjago. I’m sure the Japanese really appreciate this stuff.

It’s actually a pretty neat concept and execution. There is a lot of interactivity and cool physics elements. The bullet bills are geared and spin around the platform as you move it, very cool!

The piranha plant is on a seesaw that you can ‘jump’ on, that launches it into the pipe, which pushes down a lever and pushes up the reward block. The POW block is on a latch, that when you push it down, releases the castle door and swings it down.

It is a really ingenious set of LEGO designs. Definitely some of the more creative uses of moving parts.

He also got some Hogwarts Castle parts, the Whomping Willow, Great Hall, and Quidditch match sets.

We had to get a floating shelf to put the new LEGO sets. And that’s not even getting into the Disney Princess and LEGO Friends sets my daughter got.

Ugh Lego friends. I loathe that shit. Not because it’s pink and very much gender affirming propaganda. So is Lego City Police.

But that girls get different mini figs, with thin arms and legs that really fucking angers me.

Lego used to be such an enlightened brand, so progressive. This feels like a betrayal of part of my youth.

I don’t know about that, the submarine explorer with sunken pirate ship begs to differ. As does the amusement park. My son was all too eager to help his younger sister put them together :)

Yeah the mini figs being different than traditional sucks (less mix and match), but overall my biggest gripe is the price difference. Friends sets are just generally more expensive per piece, often as much as twice as er pensive as a comparable ‘regular’ set.

I miss the old Technic figures. Those were actually pretty cool, IMO. (In terms of how bendable they were, and their scale. The heads were ugly.)

Ninjago is awesome. Some great models. And some terrible ones, obviously, like all themes. The show’s not bad either; have watched the entire thing with the kiddo. Still need to see the movie from which comes the Destiny’s Bounty that got for Christmas 2019 and finally got around to building.

Theyr’e also an excellent way to stock up on the pastel parts.

So over the past year or 2 I’ve gained an obsession with Lego, especially Technic, but also some of their “Creator” kits. It started with the Saturn V model a few years ago, which just looks like a great Saturn V model and not Lego as others discussed earlier in this thread.

My obsession picked up a while ago when I got this:

Then this:

And there have been others. An embarrassing number of others. Like this:

I’ve gotten trucks, loaders, other cranes, etc. These things are great. I don’t like how they’ve steered to phone apps to control them vs. dedicated controllers, or even just switches on the devices, but they’re still great.

I’m now crawling through Rebricable at https://rebrickable.com/home/ for mods, and seeking out pieces for custom kits. Especially a launch tower for the Saturn V at :
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-60088/Janotechnic/launch-tower-mk-i-for-saturn-v-2130992176-with-crawler/#details

My latest are

and

On my birthday wishlist I have:

I DID make my wife a Lego flower and candy box from miscellaneous pieces for Valentine’s, and that was a hit, so now she’s more cool with me taking up the kitchen table on weekends :)

Huh, seems like that’s a “proper” Lego launch tower, unlike the one that was doing the rounds earlier:

+1 for the Ninjago sets, notably the three Ninjao city sets that build together like the Lego Modular ones. It is an odd aesthetic, but something I hope Lego keeps going with. And given how popular the modular series is, particularly as someone who has started collecting each set from the Cinema, I’m happy with the direction Lego has gone in a sense. One suggestion for anyone eyeing off the Modular Series is to look at lighting. Unfortunately it wasn’t a consideration at the time that those multi-level buildings will be too dark to see anything inside. So I’ve since spent a small fortune on lighting for them, and lighting them up sucks because it means pulling apart sections of the build to run wires through, which can detract from the aesthetic. But it has to be done, and boy does it make the buildings come alive.

Just ordered myself:

That’s pretty cool. I don’t collect the Lego cars, but I like the minifigs and was reading a few of the car reviews from the minifig scale line. Apparently the newer cars in that line underwent a design change from six studs wide to eight, and so now you can fit two figs in side by side, which is not only more realistic but most people think it makes the cars look better. Neat stuff.

Have any of you Lego enthusiasts found good shelving for displaying your completed models? Been looking at stuff for the wall - some of the big star wars stuff (Death Star for example) won’t fit on these though.

Very jealous of the excavator.

We just got floating shelves from IKEA

We are currently at 3 such shelves

I got my son the Lego Master Builder Academy membership when he was younger…and of course I had to get a copy for myself too! I loved the books that came with each one; they were really great lessons on how the sets were designed and built.

My one regret is that I never spent more time on the Lego MBA website before it closed down. There were a bunch of extras you could unlock there, like instructions for dozens of new things you could build with the existing kits. Now that the website is gone, I guess those are lost forever too.

Yeah, it does.
Problem it has is that it requires 3 other sets for the pieces. I have 1 of the 3, but the others are discontinued and are selling for $600 to $1000 now. Obviously I don’t mind paying for Lego kits but even that’s too much for me. Plus, it would require pulling apart the kits I do have to build this.

I priced out the parts separately and it came to about $1,000. Ain’t going to happen unfortunately.

I’m still early in my “Lego enthusiast” career, so far they’re on scattered furniture hither and yon. Thinking of turning my adult daughter’s old room into my “office” and I like @CraigM 's IKEA idea…

I’ll be in my bunk.