I Played This Indie Game and You Should Too!

@Misguided

Yes, you can interact with things in the game. Each scene is a pre-rendered video, with some scenes having invisible buttons placed on top of things in video. When you click on the button it switches to a different video. I made a quick video to show you an example of what I mean:

Nifty, thanks.

So I keep watching the video for this and I for some reason am really tempted to get it.

First time I’ve ever seen a barnacle-removing mini-game, I’ll give you that.

Yes and it has fishing also!

Caribbean Sail looks like it could be great!

Dicey Dungeons is available for a pre-order or sort (it is still the browser based version).
Intriguingly, there is allusion that the art is only temporary, which would be a first for Cavanagh game, wouldn’t it?

I will grab it out of enthusiasm for the author, although I found the game too forgiving when I played it a couple of months ago. Maybe it changed since then though!

Any idea what platforms that is destined for?

The artist on the game actually helps run indie events locally and I’ve met them!

If you like:

• Cutsey Anime animals
  • Absurd Chinglish storylines presented via skippable text
  • Puzzle platformers with floating jumping
  • Puzzle games that hurt your brain due to the puzzles
  • Platformers that hurt your brain due to the control scheme
  • Only getting 4 stars out of 5 even thought you’re doing it as fast as your poor brain can muster

then Dreamimals is for you!

Negatives:
You have to restart the level multiple times before you can finish it to figure out where everything is, but restarting a level requires you to press start -> down -> a. It would be more helpful if it was bound to a shoulder button or something.

edit: Actually, I was playing:

Dreamals might be slightly easier as it’s the first game in the series. Or it might be just as difficult.

You guys…this game…so funny…omg…

I don’t think we have a topiic for the original one so… yes, I pre-purchased and played for about 1.5 hours tonight, online with friends.

It’s a lot like the first one but online. Yes, you can play Story Mode coop, online or local. For the online piece, small hint, we couldn’t get 1-1, Tutorial, to register the other player trying to pick stuff up or something… I finished 1-1 solo, then brought them on for the rest, and so far so good.

Dicey Dungeons has been (silently?) updated to v0.12, with all fifth classes available for play. I just played a run with the robot, which was very different and fun to toy with. Enemy variety has also been greatly improved. There is finally a sound volume slider. Everything’s improving!

Still browser only. Still crashes on the iPad.

So this weekend I took a moment to kick up Walden: a game and I was absolutely hooked by it.

This game was made by the USC Game Innovation Lab, with funding from the National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities. It basically puts you in the shoes of Henry David Thoreau when he starts his “experiment” at Walden Pond. There’s a lot of exploration, collecting, and some light survival—just the perfect amount of it, for my tastes.

This could have been an intriguing but ultimately stodgy edutainment title, but it certainly didn’t feel that way to me. Scattered around the world (a recreation of the forest surrounding the pond) are arrowheads, some of which only appear in a particular season, that trigger a reading of a passage from Thoreau’s book. But other text is collected by just looking closely (with the push of a button) at any object in the world. And I mean ANY. Every type of tree has unique descriptions—one for the sapling version, one for the fully grown one (and maybe different ones in certain seasons). Tadpoles in the water, the ruined foundation of an old root cellar, squirrels and mice, hawks flying past, berry bushes, etc etc etc, all feel like things you want to look at at least once. You can plant beans, mend clothes, chop wood, read book, catch fish, boat across the lake (or skate across it in winter!). You can earn money, travel to Concord, and purchase little upgrades. Or decide to pay off your back taxes, so you don’t spend a day (the equivalent of about a month) in jail. You mail manuscripts to Horace Greeley, find lost books for Ralph Waldo Emerson, and read letters from your family asking when this crazy experiment will be done.

Again, this could easily have been a failed attempt to make you eat your vegetables, but it’s carefully designed, looks consistently beautiful, and really does get you in a Thoreauvian mindset.

I’m sure the game is not everyone’s cup of tea, but I really loved it and recommend it. You can buy Walden on PS4 or on PC, only from itch.io. Unfortunately, it is not priced cheaply ($19).

That sounds incredibly appealing. I hope I’ll remember it when I get the mean to play it.

Synthetik got a update recently!

The devs also did an AMA:

So I can officially promote Return of the Obra Dinn from Little Indie Game that Might Be Worth Playing to Little Indie Game (I think is) Worth Playing!

Here’s what the game is: You are the insurance investigator for the East India Trading Company in the 17th Century. The Obra Dinn is a ship that was recovered with all 60 of its crew and passengers dead or disappeared. You’re supposed to figure out what happened to EVERYONE.

But what you really are is a kind of time traveler. You jump back into the history of the ship to see snapshot moments of its tragic voyage. From these moments, you record facts you learn in a book–a log of what happened and when. You deduce these facts from sound snippets you hear, the crew’s roles, a map of the ship, etc.

I won’t spoil any more. There’re some extraordinary moments. For a game where you are basically the only active living character, and where the rest of the story is told through still 3D scenes and audio snippets, it’s very dramatic, I feel.

Dang, now I have to crosscheck all my posts to see if I messed up there :O

I am dying to play it. I feel like it might be something special, like Quadrilateral Cowboy was to me, last year. Sadly, I technically cannot play it: I feel like a Megadrive owner in the Super Nintendo days!

Can you name your character? Because I want to be Phoenix Wright.