I Played This Indie Game and You Should Too!

Haha, no. But interesting thing about the player character I learned when I restarted the game: Sometimes you are male and sometimes you are female (revealed solely by some voiced lines at the start of the game).

You have a system that can run Quadrilateral Cowboy but not Obra Dinn? Are you sure?

It’s a silly OS requirement on the Mac side (I think it is tied to that “Metal” thing Apple’s been promoting for 3D graphics). I have been runing into a couple of games I can’t run because I have to stick to an earlier version.
My “best games of 2018” list was crowded already, anyway!

So sad! Makes sense, since the game definitely has some unique shader stuff going on.

I definitely think Obra Dinn is something special.

I don’t think a game has ever made me want to setup some elaborate post it board with strings but this comes close! It definitely requires your attention. I can see it being a little frustrating by getting “stuck”. It harkens back to old adventure games where you’re hunting over the same areas over and over to find what you haven’t clicked yet to advance.

The style is fantastic, voice acting is very well done and used just right… the music is great. Overall I’m extremely impressed.

Yeah, it’s getting pretty difficult for me now, and I’m starting to lose track of what guesses are solid guesses or partial guesses, etc. Kinda wish it had a way to set an answer and also mark it as a “maybe.” Just highlight it blue or something, so I know it’s something worth reconsidering if, you know, new shit comes to light.

Oh! The audio! It’s really well done, and totally critical to how the game works. I’ve used accents to help identify people, which is attention-to-detail paying off. And it’s remarkable how a combination of music and audio makes completely still 3D scenes come off as so dramatic.

Another recommendation!

39 Days to Mars is a short but delightful two-player co-op game about going to Mars on a rickety ship. With two extremely British chaps who will refuse to fix the gravity stabilizer until they’ve made a spot of tea and a scone.

You really should only play it with two players. You can play solo, but I can’t imagine it being much fun. Most of the game is a series of physics-based minigames where you and your friend have to awkwardly coordinate what you’re doing. Many of the games are NOT easy, but by the end I appreciated that they weren’t trivial.

The art and audio are both great, I felt, and perfectly fitting to the game.

For what it is, you might find it overpriced at $15, unfortunately. Maybe wishlist it and wait for a sale. But snag it if you and someone you love would enjoy giggling at droll humo(u)r and puzzling your way through some silly activities.

I remember Tom advising against trying that, on one of his streams back when I could watch them.

Bomber Crew is on sale this week on Steam, and it seems they released two expansion packs for it since its launch.
I have played neither, and I am curious if somebody else did give them a try?

My daughter has become a fan of this game, and she said it is currently plagued with bots which will join your game and tell everyone their role - hence ruining the game. I checked the Steam discussions and this definitely seems to be the case.

Evidently the dev put out a patch to stop this, but now instead of the bots revealing their role in chat which you can block, they now “whisper” it to all players.

This is rumored to be some sort of revenge attack for certain cheating bans that took place a couple of months back. Does anyone know more about this?

I stopped playing awhile ago because of bots and generally toxic players. The devs seem too busy pushing stuff to sell than really trying to deal with th ease problems. It’s too bad too because I think this kind of game works really well online pc or mobile.

I finished The Norwood Suite over the weekend and loved it! The trailer:

Rather than rehash my Steam review, here it is:

Phew. Wow. Well this is one of a kind. I’d heard positive things about The Norwood Suite in various places and the trailer and screenshots intrigued me enough to try the demo. Moments later I was adding to cart and checking out.

The Norwood Suite has a very particular garish aesthetic that some may find offputting but, somehow, with the help of some fantastic music, sound and bright graphic design, Cosmo D manages to make it all work . Like, it’s just got this atmosphere, energy and vibe that’s hard to get across. The Hotel Norwood itself feels like Constantine’s mansion squeezed into the yellow submarine. Throw some Blendo in there perhaps. It’s nuts and perfect for it.

But while the game may seem surreal for the sake of being surreal, it actually ruminates on some fascinating themes, exploring them throughout the halls and habitants of the hotel. There’s humour here and unexpected friction at times. It sparks.

And, you know, everyone talks about ‘walking simulators’ but The Norwood Suite feels like a listening simulator. You’ll walk, sure, you’ll look and explore, but listening is one of the game’s key verbs, from the diegetic music pumping through speakers dotted around the environments (and it’s music you’ll want to pick up with the game) to simply talking to people and eavesdropping on their private conversations. It’s all about your ears. I must say too, that the dialogue sound effects are wonderful and only add to the musicality and distinctive sonic quality of the game.

Try the demo and, if you like it, get the game + soundtrack ‘Deluxe Edition’. I’m a year late to the party, but, what a party.

Ha, you used one of my favorite words…

diegetic

Haha, I only realised what it means in the last year or so but it’s a very useful word!

Infinite Adventures on Steam- it’s a dungeon crawler more in the style of Etrian than Wizardry. Good amount of choices and a plotline though the plotline is pretty simple- the game is about the gameplay more than the story.

Fun game so far (looks like about 20-25 hrs to beat)

I don’t quite get the Etrian Odyssey references: almost all the opinions on the Steam store page mention that game, but all I see is Wizardry with animu art, and none of the main concept of Etrian Odyssey: the drawing of a map without having to hold a piece of paper!

The art doesn’t seem to me like it deserves a comparison to Etrian.

Are the Steam reviewers old enough to reference Wizardry?

Was going through my humble bundle monthly halls and decided to give Stories: Path of Destinies a shot and I am glad I did. It was quite enjoyable, and I recommend it to anyone that has it sitting in their backlog. Won’t take long to finish and it was worth it.

Anyone tried Age of Civilizations II?

Single developer, very inexpensive, getting good reviews on Steam. Seems to be a much more accessible iteration of Europa Universalis. Which appeals to me as my time for gaming is limited and learning complex game mechanics and rules, while attractive, is not practical for me.

James Allen recommends it, though he warns that he has to often “hammer” the end turn key while he is waiting for things to build, stuff to happen, which does not appeal.