Identity Politics

That sound silly, but there’s actually some truth to it and I bet it’s a legit issue impacting quality of care for some people. I went through my 20’s with no regard for health and plenty of pizza budget so I was a big big boy. Whenever I’d go to see the doctor, regardless of the reason, a lecture on weight loss would be the first thing I’d get. Even if it was something obviously not directly diet/weight related like bronchitis.

That’s fine and all, the advice to lose weight is good advice, but it was overall unhelpful for a few reasons.

1. It was the same rote advice delivered the same way every time. It wasn’t delivered in an effective or helpful way.
  2. It was delivered to an audience that wasn’t there to hear that. Hardly anybody goes to the doctor to see what the doctor recommends about being fat. People go to the doctor because they want help with an illness or injury. So interrupting that with a lecture on the very real dangers of being fat accomplish just about zero in that cicumstance.

I’m certainly not going to argue that doctors shouldn’t tell overweight people to lose weight, but in my experience the way that it’s approached is ineffective and obnoxious.

You’re the cuck!

You mean:

Being slightly fat is associated with lower mortality than being slightly skinny in patients with coronary heart disease, though no-one is sure why

One possible explanation is that overweight patients can make lifestyle changes to alleviate coronary heart disease, changes that people who are normal weight/underweight cannot. Another possible explanation is that patients with low BMI have low BMI because of their disease.

Well, there is this as well. I had read a snippet somewhere about how being overweight, when controlling for diet and exercise, had a longer life expectancy than those under weight or the correct weight, but since I can’t for the life of me find it, the above article will have to do.

I don’t even know what thread to post this in. We’re so fucked, this country is headed for civil war

So sad that young POC are STILL being targeted by Chicago PD. Hopefully #BLM and the ACLU get these young people back to their families :(

Looks like his special needs didn’t negate his white privilege. Fucking white males eh. Life is just easy mode for him.

From Reddit:

TL;DW they bound and gag him, stream it on Facebook live where they threaten to “throw him in a trunk and brick the gas pedal,” repeatedly cut him and use his wound as an ash tray, all while screaming “fuck white people, fuck Donald Trump”

This is fucking horrific.

Edit: link to video YouTube

VidMe link to circumvent age-restriction https://vid.me/jgEa

Edit 2: the victim was forced to drink toilet water https://youtu.be/fDajmXg-wpg

Other sources also note that the victim suffers from a mental disability. The suspects stole a van and kidnapped him from a suburb.

YouTube decided to take the initial video down, but the VidMe link is still up.

Edit 3: periscope feed of official CPD statement Chicago Police: "CPD press conference regarding disturbing live social media video depicting a battery ; victim was tied up"

Chicago Commander Kevin Duffin referred to the crime as a "stupid mistake, while Chicago Superintendent Eddie Johnson said “if you looked at the video, it was just stupidity.”

Just “stupidity”? Not a hate crime?

Come on dude you know the Red Hats are going to pounce on this, that cop is trying somehow to diffuse the situation.

At least he tried. Total failure, but a gold star for effort!

You could charge libs $100000 to check their white privilege by having #BLM activists scalp them and ash blunts out on their exposed skulls and you’d sell out years in advance.

Since this is local news to me, let me assure you that all the local reports are about investigating if hate crime gets applied here.

Well he achieved the complete opposite. There are many things he could have said, investigation is underway, this is a serious assault, we want to do the right thing, we cant reach a conclusion yet etc but all he manages to do is excuse the perpetrators as “just stupidity”. He basically lit the race war touchpaper and stood back.

Whereas when you lie by taking inaccurate quotes out of context you’re not making the situation worse at all.

[quote=“Aceris, post:2675, topic:76625, full:true”]
Whereas when you lie by taking inaccurate quotes out of context you’re not making the situation worse at all.[/quote]

This is how it works now. This is what the alt right and trad right have been feeding off all day. They don’t give a flying monkeys fuck for the detail, they just see the video and read a 140 chars summary, see those few soundbites from the cops, see a bunch of RTs containing socjus nonsense from regressive white media like Shaun King and start triggering.

Anyway, It’s a hate crime now. They’ve been charged.

I think you overestimate the global impact of my words to the few dozen people reading this thread. My words are merely a squirt of piss in the ocean of piss that is the internet.

If you read his piece, it’s because they’ve already been arrested and charged, and his confident justice will be served. His role is fighting for people to get justice when it’s been denied. It makes sense.

But his schtick is getting clicks with provocative tweets, and all anyone is ever going to see is his tweet, because everyone is stupid.

Does the Google Image for MLK day feel a bit insensitive? Or is it just me? It’s one of those “is it the messenger or the message?” and who gets to decide this.

IE it feels like contemporary commentary about current political concerns than a celebration of his accomplishments.

Isn’t that kind of the point of his accomplishments?

I mean, arguably, though his message is universal, it was specific to African American disenfranchisement.

To use a somewhat extreme exaggeration it feels a bit like combining pictures of Syrian refugees with a memorial for Nelson Mandela.

I’d argue that his message was all racism, he just focused on the black experience because it was so blatant and personal to him. If I’m looking at the same thing you are it seems appropriate and not very contemporary imo.

Not that it matters, we’re apparently nearly back in 60’s anyway and MLK is as hated and reviled as he ever was then.

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
― Martin Luther King Jr.

MLK did not speak to black people. He spoke to all people. That’s why he had the impact that he did.