If you could have a game based on a book

Right on, you avid (or not-so-avid) readers of books. If you could have a game based on a book, what would you like to see, and why?

I want to name a few, so I’ll go first.

• A tactical turn-based RPG set in the setting of Steven Erikson’s Malazan series. Simply put, you’d be in control of a squad of Bridgeburners, Crimson Guards, or similar military unit. Having someone like Icarium or Karsa Orlong in the party would probably be overpowered, though. I’d imagine it’d make the game as easy as FFT once you get Cid the Thundergod.

• A tactical turn-based RPG that’s in the setting of George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire. There’d be very little magic to go around (given the setting), with a primary focus on weapon skills, alchemy, traps, and tactics.

• An RPG/3rd Person Shooter set in the world of Richard Morgan’s Takeshi Kovacs novels. I’d imagine that it would be somewhat similar to Deus Ex, at least in terms of its RPG mechanics. The action would definitely have to be along the lines of Max Payne. I’d want to see a lot of the butt-kicking action that happens throughout the game.

I think a minimalistic game in the vein of Ico based on The Road would be neat.

You have to protect your son as you travel to a destination. Cannibals, thieves, insane people, and what few supplies are left are randomly generated in the world. You only have a few bullets in your gun. Ambient music, a gray/white color palette. You cough much from the ash in your lungs. Would be neat.

A sandboxy RPG set in the New Orleans of A Confederacy of Dunces.

The Sims, set in Edgar Allen Poe’s The Fall of the House of Usher.

Amit it, if you saw that sitting on a shelf with screaming, delusional sims on the cover you’d pick up a copy.

Or a Total War type game with a juiced up diplomacy and events system. For a more actiony campaign, you could take the Night’s Watch faction and defend the wall against the hordes.

I wouldn’t mind an RPG set in Stephen King’s Dark Tower setting.

Space Trading / War Sim set in Alastair Reynolds’ Revelation Space setting.

Also, the Takeshi game should be an action/spy game. As much existing in the game world as anything else.

I want an RPG based on Garth Nix’s Abhorsen series.

Do comic books count? If so, something like Rune Factory/Animal Crossing based in the world of The Walking Dead. You gotta keep up your various foodstuffs and implements for gathering them, weapons and armor, and various personalities in your camp. Occasionally you go out and forage for more supplies and maybe a better place to live - this part would be actiony and FPSy at first, but as you got more people it could go turn-based tactical.

Edit: come to think of it, that’s Dwarf Fortress with zombies. And action bits.

Shogun by James Clavell

-or-

Ilium/Olympos by Dan Simmons. It’d have to be adventure games.

I lost a nut giggling at this.

Jim Butcher’s Codex Alera (the “Fury” Series). Either RPG or Strategy. Both actually, separate games :).

Love In The Time Of Cholera. Basically ProgressQuest with a picture of a pretty Spanish girl in the background.

Cold War spy RPG based on any of the Mitrokhin or Krivitsky or other Cheka/NKVD/KGB defector biography/tell-all I have.

Elite like, open ended space game in Peter F. Hamiltons Confederation space from the Nights Dawn trilogy.

The Bible - the ultimate God game.

They tried.

Sim Pillars Of The Earth.

RPG based on Stross’s The Atrocity Archives. Alternatively, RPG based on Tim Power’s Declare. Oh, what the hell: pretty much any modern RPG that includes Lovecraftian elements, based on a book or not. I’m not picky.

[B]The Brothers Karamazov

[/B]It would be epic, and probably have to be like 12 different games.

or

The Divine Comedy

Like an RPG or an adventure game