If you could have a game based on a book

MMO Neuromancer - game play that exists in both the physical world and in cyberspace - raids that require a physical and virtual attack - player groups as corps/organized crime/governments, stuff like that.

Brilliant sir! It’s been so long since I read A Fire Upon the Deep, I’d forgotten about it. That would make a great setting for a game. As would the larger universe outside the Tines world too, but that would be too big a scope for one game perhaps.

Good call. Something akin to Jade Empire, but with a better setting, more varied combat, and more branches to the plot.

Better yet, ditch the whole Journey West part, and just have it be Monkey’s shenanigans, ideally set in a Fallout sort of environment, where you have an ultimate goal, but aren’t led around by the short hairs through a plot on rails.

Some kind of RPG based on the Marîd Audran books (“When Gravity Fails”, et cetera).

It’s less an RPG than an adventure, but it’s still pretty awesome:

Myself…hmm. I’m kind of unaccountably tempted by the idea of a GTA-esque game based on Sergei Lukyanenko’s Night Watch books. I guess there are maybe more suitable formats for them (especially since, unlike the movies, there’s really very little direct action), but being able to pick either a Day or Night Watch operative and go around a realistically rendered Moscow interfering with people’s lives and troubleshooting actions by the other faction… I’d like that.

Thanks for the link. 20 years old now…

“The Catcher In The Rye” would have made a good text adventure.

32nd Street

Manhattan stretches ahead of you. Forty-one gorgeous blocks to your goddam hotel.

>N

33rd Street. Forty gorgeous blocks to your goddam hotel.

There is a goddam taxicab here.

>enter cab

Inside Cab

The cab is kind of crummy, if you want to know the truth. The driver turns around and asks, “Where to, pal?”

>ask driver about fish in pond

The driver says, “You think mother nature doesn’t take care of the goddam fish in the goddam pond when it freezes over? They get food in the ice right through their goddam pores.”

>ask driver to go N

The cab takes off like a bat out of hell.

They could do some really cool stuff there with changing sleeves as well as integrating an interesting death mechanic where “real” death is almost impossible but having your sleeve destroyed would lead to a loss of it’s abilities as well as integrating some kind of wold time passage.

A RPG about Moorcoocks Elric Zyclus… magical weapons that suck your soul, summons that kill you sanitiy and insane lords of chaos…

Another vote for A Fire Upon the Deep. Hell, any of Vinge’s books. How about a civ-style game where you have to lead your race of spiders into successful hiberation? Or you are a recovered ziphead waking up on a haunted spaceship :)

A Lovecraftian point and click adventure set in Jefferey Thomas’s Punktown would rock my world.

A brawler/rpg set in Joe Abercrombie’s First Law series of books would kick ass as well.

The Dragonlance Series - something a little newer than the Gold Box games (although I loved those at the time).

Redwall

Some sort of action/rpg that would be awesome.

The Dresden Files series. Something open-world, like a GTA with less car theft and more magic.

The Brin game and the Farmer game sound awesome.

Just so you know:

I like the A Fire Upon the Deep idea, too! My vote, though, would be for an A Song of Ice and Fire game, but along the lines of Romance of the Three Kingdoms X rather than Total War. Start as a maester and work my way up to Hand of the King. Be a wandering mercenary captain, changing sides whenever the price is right. Or play a great lord, but spend as much time juggling personnel assignments (can I really trust Roose Bolton there?) as battle formations.

I’d really dig some sort of adventure game based on Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

Do pen-and-paper rulebooks count? 'cos I’d like to see a good, proper, CRPG adaptation of Shadowrun one of these days…

If it’s novels we’re talking about, I suppose Neuromancer would do. And I’ve often thought Raymond Chandler’s The Big Sleep would make a fine adventure game in the old style.

I’d love an RPG set in Zelazny’s Chronicles of Amber.

An MMO set in any kind of well realized dark fantasy/science fantasy/steampunk city. Mieville’s New Crobuzon, KJ Bishop’s Ashamoil, Gaiman’s London Below, etc.

Or alternatively an MMO set on one or more GSVs, in the Culture Universe.