I'm bored of TF2

I 100% agree with the sentiments regarding medics.

Fucking. Boring. As. Shit.

The same could be said for Engineers, but I love playing the Engineer class. It’s my style. Set up defenses, set up stuff to help the team, etc. I’m not a great offensive player so I do what I can to back the team up.

Medic is the same except it’s more front line oriented since you need to be where the fighting is.

Medic can be very interesting to play. You just need to do more than follow someone with the fire button depressed.

Communicate with your team. When you’re using the healing gun, you’re the one with the most awareness of your surroundings. If there’s a pyro coming up behind your group, it’s you who’s going to spot him first, and it’s you who should be shouting the warning. You’re going to be more aware of your patient’s health than they are, so if your heavy’s taking a pounding, tell him to get back into cover for a moment. If there’s sentries up ahead, and your uber is nearly ready, tell people to wait.

The medic is basically TF2’s commander class.

Use your needle gun. The needle gun is very powerful. As long as you can get used to the arc of your needles, you can take on all but the most combat focused classes (soldier, heavy, etc). You could be taking down that ambushing pyro yourself with a bit of backpedalling. An observant medic is also arguably a spy’s worst nightmare. And taking down anyone with the needle gun is a thrill, as most people don’t expect a medic to fight back.

I am not playing a lot of TF2 these days. I just played but only for 40mins, seems like my limit for this game. The medic is a bit boring, the engineer is boring (yay, i am crouched in front of the supply station and behind my turret hitting it with the wrench!), the pyro is only fun for a few minutes, the ‘spy gameplay’ is more diverse but i am not a fan of that class, etc. The maps are not very different between themselves, the number of rounds in a map is too big, i want to change the map more often. Playing the same map always only speed up my boredom.

If they’d kept the grenades in then the boring classes would be less so…

Medics becoming viable attacking units, Engineers able to blow up stuff with EMP grenades, and so on.

No grenades. I hate grenades in any multiplayer game. Especially HL2 because I hate the gravity gun grenade toss.

I usually play medic and it really is a commander class. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve said “There’s a pyro following us” or “Heavy, there’s a spy behind you. SPY BEHIND YOU.” I do wish the melee attack were more powerful, though.

I have one single request of every player on my team, ever:

If you hear the medic healing you say “I am fully charged!” and you suddenly start glowing during heavy fighting, please, for the love of god, stop retreating. I don’t care if you’re at 1/4 health. You’re wasting all the time spent walking sideways through the whole damn map and your nice little panic is going to get us rushed in about ten seconds.

I would also like to send a shout out to the medic that stuck with me and the Engineer that built a equipment deploy right around the corner behind the control point last week. I was the heavy that was shielding you both with my body and, thanks to your combined healing and constant supply of ammo, nearly unstoppable. We were able to hold off blue for over 15 minutes. In the end, it took the combined attack of two soldiers, two heavies, and three medics to take us out.

I love this game.

I love playing the medic. A good timed uber charge can really turn the battle to break through a stalemated game or push an initial rush to victory, especially on a good team that actually knows how to work together. That is pretty much the crux of the issue, if you are playing on a server with little teamwork, playing a support class is teh suk. But with a good team playing the medic is a blast. My favorite server list is filtering down to where i know good team players play on a regular basis.

And the Cat Master and roBurky are absolutely right on:

As a medic you are the spy hunter. Basically you cover the rear 180’ arc looking for trouble and hope your Heavy is smart enough to:
-Not walk too far around corners in order to not drag you out into the open.
-If there is no cover stand in places where you can crouch behind him to allow him to soak the damage.
-Turn and cover the rear 180’ arc if called to.
-and rush the cap point on a uber.

Medic 101: If anyone calls for a “medic” quick switch to the needler or bonesaw and blast them in the face a bit before healing. I see a bunch of new medics just start healing on a “medic” call and end up with a knife in the back.

and don’t be afraid to stop healing for a sec and needle the spy coming in for the kill.

and yea a server with anything over 24 is just a frag-fest mess.

-Jet

bye bye

Jeez. Did you quit playing Starcraft when you realized you didn’t enjoy using all of the units equally?

When I play a medic, I’m running all over healing as many people as possible to build an uber as quickly as possible. While doing this I’m doing rear guard and anti-spy duty as well, covering the back of someone I’m healing and putting the needlegun or bonesaw to anyone who looks suspicious. Then after some of that I’m using the uber I just built up to be the decisive force to win the battle. That’s not boring. Sure, you can just sit there and heal one guy and make it boring, but you really don’t have to do it that way.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I see medics who just spawn and then latch onto another player like a lamprey and follow them around until they have uber. That’s not only dull, but also not a particularly smart way to play. You do your team more good if you are healing as many players as you can (and keeping an eye out for spies while you do it), and you earn uber charge faster that way, too. If playing a medic means following someone around with the fire button held down for the whole round to you, then you aren’t doing it right.

That reminds me, I asked a question on a server earlier but didn’t get an answer. Do Medics get points for a certain amount of life healed, and if so, what is it? I’m trying to work out how effective it is, points-wise, to heal everyone as opposed to sticking to one person.

For my part I tend to do the former when there are enough people around to heal, but it depends on the map. If a Heavy’s assaulting on 2Fort I’ll stick with him as best I can, but if we’re defending on Gravelpit or something then I run around healing everyone.

I discovered today that the medic has a custom bark for a successful solo capture point defense. That was pretty fun.

I love what they’ve done with the character vocals in this game.

What does he say?

I’m slightly disappointed with how few different auto-responses the Spy seems to have - all I ever really hear him say of his own accord is “You got blood on my suit,” which is what he says when he’s taunting with the pistol anyway. I wish he would do what all good Spies do after killing someone: pun. Class specific, preferably. It’s absolutely criminal that, after blowing up a Sentry with an electro-sapper, he doesn’t at least say “Shocking.” That’s, like, the first pun they teach you in Spy school.

Yesterday I did, after 26 hours of Spying, finally hear a new line. After dominating two people in quick succession:

“Heh. Heheheh. Mwahahaaha! Ahahahaaahaaahaaaa!”

The Heavy seems to have the most monologue, but the Scout’s is always my favourite.
“I broke your stupid crap, moron!”
“Your head’s a freaking bat-magnet!”
“Say goodbye to your secret crap, assholes!”

One cool touch is that the Sniper seems to have a whispered version of every line he says, so that if it comes up when he’s alone in a hiding place, he can say it quietly enough to not give himself away to nearby enemies. He seems to run out of insults, though. “You bloody fruit-shop owners” is a bit of a reach.

<quote>the pyro is only fun for a few minutes,</quote>

Wow. I don’t think computer games are for you then.

No grenades. I hate grenades in any multiplayer game. Especially HL2 because I hate the gravity gun grenade toss.

Wow, I didn’t realise how much the Revenant looks like a certain BioShock enemy.

I’ve got this thread in the bag:

pwnd

I’ll wait for confirmation from someone else before I make fun of your image that appears broken on my end.

Seems fine for me. Is it not animating for you or something?