Imagine Earth

So this is just under a month from the official 1.0 release (been in early access since 2014), and I messed with the demo a bit this morning and really enjoyed it. I know it’s been mentioned in the space games thread and the city builder/colony manager thread, let’s give it a proper home here. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf_ApUXgMtU

https://www.imagineearth.info/faq/

Demo is really well made and worth a try!

But I wasn’t done imagining dragons!

Looks cool. What’s the nature of the “compete against rivals” part, do you know?

No idea, wasn’t part of the demo.

Playing with the demo now. There’s a lot of cool things here. It REALLY reminds me of an obscure indie strategy game called Light of Altair. I actually thought it was impossible to find these days, but it’s apparently on Steam:

I’m finding some aspects of this a little confusing. I’m sure scientist guy told me early on park districts were now available to make the citizens happier, but I can’t find them. It seems too easy to place an improvement on the wrong tile due to the piece of pie shape of them.

Tooltips seem a bit all over the place, very all or nothing. The Cities tab (on the right) is a good example; what do the arrows mean? Why do my districts show a 2 or 3 (I assume the level) on the tab but on the map they are all 1 except one? What’s with the adding up the numbers on the roof to be able to upgrade? Then clicking on the upgrade button & getting told it’s already been done.

There never seems to be enough goods to satisfy people. Why, having set a reserve of 100 machinery on the Goods tab is there no machinery parts stored even though the workshop is producing at 100%? And apparently 10% of production is supposed to be automatically stored but that’s not happening either.

That said I’m quite enjoying it, but would be happier of I could figure out some of my niggles.

Parks should be under the city districts tab, did you unlock them? I didn’t see them mentioned in the demo.

Maybe they need a license to unlock?

They’re not there but I specifically remember science guy mentioning them - otherwise I wouldn’t have known.

The things you can unlock with a license are there once you have researched them, just not selectable until you use the license. At least that’s how it’s been so far for me.

I wonder how this is going to play with multiple opponents; there’s a lot happening. Could be Offworld TC levels of stress!

They are unlocked in the technology panel. I saw it in this video from 2019, I saved it at the timestamp:

Cool thanks.

This happened to me, too. Spent awhile looking for how to place parks.

I enjoyed the peek into the game. There’s a lot of info available that’s not terribly well explained yet, but I didn’t really try to dig too deep (and I only played the first planet–maybe a lot more is explained in the second). They need a better way to show you where the good and bad locations for buildings are, and to tell you if they’re working efficiently or not. As with any game like this in early access, UI is going to be their biggest challenge.

I love the scale of the planets. I assume they get a lot bigger than the tutorial world, but there’s still something fun and manageable about the chunkiness of the triangular building spaces and how you really fill up continents with your colonies.

I am not usually bothered by this, but, boy, are the characters in the game unappealing looking!

Holy hell I thought I was the only person who’d ever heard of Light of Altair. Never got around to playing it though. Is it good?

I sunk a lot of hours into it years ago when I first started getting into the indie scene. There was a point where it started to get unwieldy–I think it was when combat became a major part of the game. But until then, I think it was a really good and very clever logistics game. I’d say it’s definitely worth checking out.

Well if it ever goes on sale again I’ll pick it up. :)

Ooooooh, I played that one! Obscure yes, but I had some fun with it.

New trailer from last week. Game is part of the lunar sale going on ($13), and version 1.0 release has been moved to the end of March. Price will increase to $30 at that time according to the devs.

While I enjoyed the demo mostly other than a few teething annoyances, watching that trailer reinforces to me that there is a LOT going on in this game…maybe too much?

This is exactly my fear.

One thing that bothers me about games that take place from a high-tech standpoint, is that you do not have basic techs like you need to research solar panels, windpower, etc… This never made any sense.

I bought it, I enjoyed the demo enough to want to support the devs.

I’m tempted, but I didn’t get to spend much time with the demo. That and I’m in the middle of an anno 1800 playthrough with all the dlc, and have several other builder games in the backlog. The Dyson Project and Per Aspera may be higher on the wishlist too

I have seen some streaming of Dyson Sphere Program, and that game looks like a full time job, lol. ;)