Immortals Fenyx Rising - Assassin's Cartoon of The Wild

That just reminded me of this:

Just finished this. Probably about 35 hours to finish, completing (I think) most of the challenges along the way, but not all of them. Once you master the combat, it is just a matter of exploration and puzzles, the monsters do not get particularly harder along the way. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the story and the ties to mythology and did not tire of the Zeus/Prometheus banter.

This went on early Boxing Day sale here. I managed to pick up the PS4 disc version for $40 CAD (roughly $31 USD) so a pretty great deal for this new a game. Especially since I intend to put the disc into my PS5 and use it to immediately download the PS5 version to play with my kids over the extended holiday break.

Very much looking forward to this as an open world game that a) I can play with the kids (unlike The Witcher 3 or RDR2) and b) shows off my brand new PS5.

I just finished this morning too. Total about 38 hours of play. There were still a few side-quests I didn’t get and I never got my armor and helmets up to level 4 to unlock the second ability of each. Maxed out most of my god powers and felt suitably powerful by the end. I enjoyed the game quite a bit; would’ve liked a bit more exploration vice icon hunting. And I wouldn’t have minded if it was 10 hours shorter, but overall worth paying AAA prices for.

Runs and looks beautiful on my non-Pro PS4 too.

Finally played a few hours yesterday. Best HDR of any game so far. If you aren’t playing on an OLED you are missing out!

I’m loving the game. I posted this on another thread:

I think I’d appreciate the Greek mythology in Hades a lot more if I didn’t play Immortals Fenyx Rising, which for me works so much better. It is funny, respectful and often insightful in a way Hades could only dream to be. Seeing the way Greek mythology is handled in Immortals does make Hades feel… pretentious, among other things. It’s kind of weird, really.

I was worried about the narration and the snarky tone of the game, but they did a fantastic job here. Making the whole thing humorous and personable really helps connecting with Greek mythology in a way no other game can. It’s a bold move that for me paid off brilliantly.

Well, still got a ways to go. Just finished the Hephaestus story bits and moving now to Athena. Fantastic game so far.

This is currently $29.99 for Xbox at Best Buy. Think I’ll pick it up based on the positive feedback here.

So there’s a free demo on Stadia for this. It’s the first time that I know of for a way to test out a game streaming service free with no strings attached.

What about GeForce Now? They have a free tier you can use to stream your own Steam library.

How does this play with mouse and keyboard? I love BoTW but found myself struggling with the controls on some of the puzzles.

No idea. Controller only here.

It’s kind of made for a controller. I think M+K would be annoying.

The mouse is much better for archery that requires speed and finesse though.

Has anyone tried moving from PC to PS5? I have this on Ubisoft+ so this would definitely be double dipping. This subscription thing makes it confusing if I will have access to the DLC as well.

I usually just avoid @tomchick rec games after that year 2000 debacle. (But I do mind them)

I also need to tip toe around the Ubi-game land mines all over the shop. Fuck those things. I already stepped on a couple since 2007!
I have long since already wrote off all of Assinass Creed games just to be safe. (I have several free in my library but I will never ever play them.)

There is one thing that drives me bonkers about this game… when you press to collect resources, there’s a lag and unnecessarily long sound effect before the resource is collected. I ALWAYS end up thinking I didn’t press the button properly and mash it a few more times.

The thing that drives me bonkers is the cutscene every time you do an upgrade. Sure you can button mash to skip it sort of, but annoying that you can’t just turn them off after you’ve seen them all a few times.

Are the coin rewards just kind of random? Based on how many in a row you’ve done? or what? I ask because I solve what I think is a long and somewhat convoluted puzzle to get 2 coins. Do something trivial and quick and the game drops 10 coins on me.

I started playing this at my girlfriend’s urging and I have to say, taken as a Switch game I think this looks and plays (framerate-wise) just fine. Maybe it looks rough compared to itself on other platforms, but I think it compares very favorably with, say, BotW in the visuals department.

This was such a delightful game. If you haven’t played it yet, do yourself a favor and begin 2021 right be trying it out. Unless you hate puzzles, then you may want to run the other way.