Immortals Fenyx Rising - Assassin's Cartoon of The Wild

I watched a couple of previews (ACG, Skill Up) and now I want this game more than Valhalla. It helps that it reminds me of BotW, Darksiders, and (to a much lesser degree) Kingdoms of Amalur.

I just tried the demo for a bit. Hard difficulty.

Wow, this game is weird. First of all, you attack using RB, and use X to dodge! How wacky is that? I’m not sure if it’s because of those controls or not, but the combat is very unsatisfying. The game has a cartoony look I don’t like much. There’s supposed to be these beautiful vistas (according to the annoying dueling narrators) that don’t look beautiful at all to me. Like a waterfall is really ugly because it’s got limited hand-drawn animated frames that make it look nothing like water.

Anyway, obviously this is all very YMMV, and a matter of extremely subjective taste, but I’m so glad I got to try this demo. I think this is one game I won’t bother with whenever I get Uplay+.

I hope Breath of the Wild is nothing like this game.

Straight out of AC Odyssey.

Oh my God. I played the free Stadia demo and I hated this. The gameplay and melding of AC Odyssey and BotW stuff was fine, but I detested the Zeus and Prometheus narration. It’s so bad. The humor is awful. The voices are grating. And they just didn’t shut up!

I know, right?!? I couldn’t stand it. I might have gotten used to the combat enough and the artistic look if the narration wasn’t so constantly grating.

It’s a shame that I have no interest in this game anymore, thanks to the demo. Because otherwise, this sounds very interesting: DLC will be a new land based on Chinese Mythology.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-17-immortals-fenyx-risings-season-pass-adds-new-world-based-on-chinese-mythology

That is interesting. I think just about every AC fan has been clamoring for a main game set in Japan or China over the years.

There is already an AC set in China—one of the 2D platformers.

Right. That’s why I wrote “main game” above.

This looks even worse than the name, and i don’t really know why it exists now. I was hoping for AC Breath of the Wild. It’s really AC Odyssey with BotW-like graphics… although, worse. But so, so talky. Ubi-speak just everywhere.

It feels like, and maybe i’m projecting, that Joney’s computer running home to mama in The Hunt for Red October, they started trying to make BotW, failed, and quickly ran back home to the model of gameplay and narrative being used in every other Ubi open world game. I expect this to be a pretty big whiff. Part of the appeal of BotW was the taciturn nature of the game, part of the process of discovery. Immortals literally has a narrative telling the player how the player’s character feels on top of said character pontificating for minutes.

Hey now, some of us wish Link would just say something, dammit. It’s getting weird standing there mute as people foretell the end of the world! (I’ve been playing like 6 or so hours, pls to not spoil me)

I preordered this (Gold Edition, even) and I fully intend to play it on release. I’ll post my impressions. ;)

I’m very much looking forward to this. I’ve just seen like 90 seconds of someone playing it, and I clicked out of the stream for fear of spoilers. But man does it look fun. Especially for this gamer who has never quite understood the appeal of Nintendo, or Zelda games. (It’s not them, it’s me.)

Breath of the Wild is my all-time favourite, and I like the modern Assassin’s Creed games too.

The only thing I don’t like is the jokey tone, these are always way less funny than they think they are.

So this is a definite ‘wait for reviews’, but I am cautiously optimistic!

I think I’m OK with the jokey Gods, he said knowing that saying that could come back to haunt…;)

It was a shock in high school to be reading the Iliad, and all of a sudden, Homer unveils a bunch of Olympian Gods who behave like they’re in a Hellenic sitcom.

Here are some reviews.

Pretty positive so far

That’s a lot of 7s on the 7 to 9 scale though.

Here is Eurogamer:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-30-immortals-fenyx-rising-enjoyable-but-over-familiar

I think @Telefrog needs to hate-play this, and review it. :)

As someone that didn’t find BotW especially compelling, interested to see if I like this better

I’ll probably see a lot of it being played. My wife is super down for this.

I’m skipping unless I see something that changes the impression I got from the awful demo.