Immortals Fenyx Rising - Assassin's Cartoon of The Wild

I only played the first island so far but I will probably like this feature. I’m always reluctant to use fast travel in games as it always feels like cheating to me for some reason. So I’m down with a compromise where fast travel exists but doesn’t feel like I’m just zapping around the map to hoover up icons.

I also like the approach to map icons where you have to discover each one individually. That way each waypoint feels earned rather than short-cutty.

I feel like this game has loads of elegant compromises where they didn’t have to jettison too much of the Ubi formula but just iterated to minimize the common complaints. And a new series/tone/game-world is quite welcome and honestly overdue. Thumbs up.

The game still works for me even though I’m not using farsight to scan for icons. The main quests are on there, but I’ve been able to just discover things by heading towards anything that looks interesting. It’s never works so well in an Ubi game before. I’m lovin’ this game.

In case you didn’t realize this, when you do a vault, it becomes a fast travel point. So do moar vaults. :)

-Tom

I did not, thanks for the tip! That’s mighty useful.

Also, you can get someone to help you travel faster overland!

Yea got that. I am just at the beginning where there are some islands out, I wager a bit deeper in with more “land mass” it will sort itself out. Just got to the base thing.

https://twitter.com/Qt3/status/1334426171283423238

-Tom

Tom it looks like you are having: f…u…n… ;)

The fun factor in this game is easily a 9 on the 7-9 scale!

-Tom

Never played Breath of the Wild, so I’m really enjoying this game. Such a great combination of exploration, puzzles and combat. Paid for a 2nd month of Ubisoft’s subscription after thinking I’d only do one month for Valhalla, but grew bored of that game after a few weeks with it and then YT threw a Fenyx Rising video my way and I decided to give it a try.

This game wasn’t on my radar at all, but since I got Ubi+ for AC:V, I will give this a try.

Wow, the phoenix is super powerful with its ability to build up stun on an enemy. Give it the upgrade to produce stamina replenishing balls when it attacks and it’s pretty much a constant use weapon. It made my first shade or whatever the major enemies are a walk in the park.

I agree, little Phospho is awesome! It loves that nickname, too, have I told you that? ;)

At least it isn’t named Grow-goo.

-Tom

:-)

How far in are you? I spent a bit of time early on just finding stuff to do and ignored the main quests for a while. I finally got back on track and freed Aphrodite. If you’re farther along, does the game hold up? It has definitely exceeded my expectations so far.

We’re at about the same place, then. I just collected the three tears of Aphrodite.

On that note, don’t overthink it. Just enjoy the game. Who cares if it holds up or not? The important part is how it feels for you as you are playing now. Enjoy it for what it is, at the moment it is. Maybe it will peter out. Or maybe it will hold up to the very end. Let the game surprise you if that’s the case, and even if it doesn’t, you’ll enjoy it more that way. ;)

Upgrading weapons does make quite a difference in your dmg output. I was surprised. You look at the upgrade interface and the #s look like 30-40% on the surface upfront, but the combat #s seem multiplicative.

Two questions:

• Just how easy is the easy mode? Can a 6-year-old who gets frustrated easily and is still building up manual dexterity button mash through at least a decent amount of the early areas?
  • How sanitized is the take on Greek mythology? The visuals seem appropriately cartoony, but a couple of reviews have mentioned some off color jokes from Zeus, but I’m not sure how pervasive or explicit they are.

Thanks! Trying to decide between getting the Xbox version so the whole family can play or just doing a month of Uplay+ for myself to play it on PC.

I bought this based off all the good word. I played a little and decided to refund. I’ll buy this again after I upgrade my console to a Series X next year. The Xbox One X runs sluggish and the distance fogging (which I’m guessing exists for a performance boost) looks terrible. The good news is that as an Ubisoft game this will probably be $5 by then.