Imperator: Rome

Yep, in every game that has a menu scalar, it makes stuff fuzzier when you move up from 1.0x. My eyesight is bad so little changes make a big difference. You lose that fantastic, distinct sharpness. Uh-oh - you might notice it now too if you use it. Sorry.

It is a ‘paint the map’ game, but there are alot of features in the game that may (if implemented well) lead to a really interesting game. It isn’t just EU IV in Rome clothing.

Imperator releases this Thursday and some enterprising soul took the dev diaries and put them in a manual forma (about 280 pages).

I really want to get excited about this game but I can’t help but feel that I’ve played it 7 or 8 times already.

Despite them dropping “Europa Universalis” from this one (as opposed to it’s predecessor, EU:Rome), I still feel like this is a distant sequel to that game and as such still an EU game at it’s core. I’m okay with that, because I love EU4, but I’m looking forward to how this game drops to a lower level in terms of detail. Pops, characters, etc. I think it has the potential to add to the formula in interesting ways.

My big worry with this one is what they did with the map. They have a ridiculous number of provinces and it’s not clear to me what they gain from going to that level of detail with them.

Johan had this to say about the map in Dev Diary #2.

I remember reading that dev diary and being nervous. They haven’t spent any time(that I can recall) going back and actually showing me any of that will actually be true and not just annoying. We’ll see soon enough!

I was wondering about that, but after watching an hour or two of Imperator Let’s Plays I’m cautiously optimistic that the game will be different enough from their other games.

This is one of the few games i’ll buy this year, being a big fan of EU:Rome (having tried to swear off buying games, talking about games and maybe playing games since the new year). I’d be cautious about the Let’s Plays mainly because it’s all fun when you’re playing with like 15 other people having a great time over chat, and the reality is you sitting alone in your room staring at a map of Sicily.

The only thing that looks… boring is the way you have “seige” each province, like every Paradox game ever.

Even though I’ve been after this game for years, I might have to pass for a while. HOI4 was already too much for my aging PC, and this will probably be even more strenuous. :’(

I dunno, this will have much fewer moving parts that HOI IV, despite the bigger map. It’s a smaller geographical area and the operating unit will be army, not division level.

Come Thursday, I will certainly be playing this game. I have been following it closely.

But I tend to be disappointed by Paradox games, and looking at the dev diaries and Lets Plays, I am uneasy.

I’m a little bit disappointed that this seems to be more EU and less CK, and that the specifics of Roman politics won’t be modeled until DLC 3 or so (one imagines).

But if this gets the kind of support CK2 got, it has the potential to be my favorite game ever.

After watching a couple of thehistoricgamer’s preview videos I went back and reinstalled EU IV. It still strikes me as a re-skinned version of that game, with a dash of CK II thrown in.

Knowing me, I’ll end up getting it anyway because I’m pathetic.

I’ll wait until it’s 50% off, at which point there will be enough bug and feature improvement that it will be worth the time.

I consider Stellaris only just now starting to be a durably fun and engaging (rather than frustrating but also addictive) game only since 2.2.7. Glad it got there, but I was very disappointed in coming to the negative conclusion after a dozen or so hours per earlier patches. Lesson learned.

Waiting is never a bad approach, really, if one has the willpower (I do not) :).

Yeah, I watched historicalgamers vids and was not impressed with the game ‘flow’…paradox has a paradox on their hands…when they keep making the SAME game, its very easy to compare it to the prior games…and thats the problem…the prior games are ‘done’ and its instantly noticeable where rome is not even close and all I can think of is ‘oh that feature is gonna be dlc…oh and that one too, OH and that one too’

I"m with Icebear, gonna leave this one to cook longer and see what happens…its not like we’re getting a preorder discount to sweeten the pot

There are a lot of systems under the hood but they kind of don’t matter. The EU Rome -> Senguko -> March of the Eagles -> Imperator games have always had a “nifty trick” and a bunch of systems that kind of don’t matter if you run around and crush everyone.

In Rome it’s a real and scary civil war mechanic and the way that troops become loyal to generals and not nations; half your provinces and armies might defect at one time, pretty much ruining your progress…

Except that past a point you can kind of ignore even that once you get big enough.

I liked Rome because the systems were simple and the scale of the game was less implausible than EU4. There is definitely a way to win Rome where in EU4 only the 1000 hour catassers can hope to actually conquer the world.

Well, I’m going to be playing this alot from day 1. Only a jaded potato farmer could look at this game and think of it as an EU4 reskin/mod. Sure, the game will grow over time, but I never regretted for one minute the time I spent with EU4 or CK2 in its first six months.