Impulse Purchase

This is awesome. Seriously. Next time I think I’m buying too many games I’m going to remember this.

I was being mildly sarcastic because I thought you were trying to rag on FF7, but I mean all of that stuff I wrote. Did you ever go back and play the previous games? I remember that I loved the first one back in the day, but I can’t imagine an 8-bit RPG holding up well enough that I’d play all the way through it today. I got Origins a couple of weeks ago but still haven’t played it yet.

Anyway, I don’t think it’s all that bad that you got FF7 first. It was the first FF game for a lot of people. Besides, four, six, eight, and nine are all still awesome in their own ways.

Which is to say, if you want another stamp on your intellectual elitist card, feel free to stop at FF6.

Which is to say, FF7 is a great game, as are FF8 and 9. Don’t listen to the backlashers.

I impulse-purchased a GP32. That was a fine waste of money.

Worst thing I ever impulse bought: my 1998 Mazda Protege. What a piece of shit that thing was.

Which is to say, if you want another stamp on your intellectual elitist card, feel free to stop at FF6.

Which is to say, FF7 is a great game, as are FF8 and 9. Don’t listen to the backlashers.[/quote]

Actually, I would recommend stopping before that. At 2, maybe. Or at 5, if you skip 3.

Methedrine: Tachyon Rocks. It’s not the best game in the world, but Bruce Cambell doing the voice work makes it all worth it. Fun Fun Fun.

Which is to say, FF7 is a great game, as are FF8 and 9. Don’t listen to the backlashers.[/quote]

Actually, I would recommend stopping before that. At 2, maybe. Or at 5, if you skip 3.[/quote]

I hate to ask, but why stop or skip? Shouldn’t there be something good in each FF installment that makes it worth playing through?

My worst impulse buy lately was Soul Calibur II for Xbox. Not because it’s a bad game, but because I figured that people would want to play it with me. I thought wrong.

Never played 3… I don’t think the States ever saw it.

For console RPGs, all the Final Fantasies are great fun.

Actually, I would recommend stopping before that. At 2, maybe. Or at 5, if you skip 3.[/quote]

I hate to ask, but why stop or skip? Shouldn’t there be something good in each FF installment that makes it worth playing through?[/quote]

There should, I guess. That doesn’t mean there is. FF is the most trite and overrated series in the world of RPGs, and FF3… my god, have you ever played FF3? It’s absolutely godawful. There’s nothing that makes it worth playing, not even for a little bit. Avoid at all costs. The other ones aren’t all worth playing through, but they tend to at least have one or two redeeming qualitied. But 3… Jesus.

I paid full retail price for Black & White.

Never again, Molyneux.

You do know that Kitsune is going to show up and kick your ass, right?

You do know that Kitsune is going to show up and kick your ass, right?[/quote]

We’ll see. I just don’t know how boring gameplay mechanics mixed with cookie-cutter characters mixed with storylines that were played out and overdone before humanity as a whole had even invented a way to write them down turns out to be a great series.

The AI in SC2 is actually pretty good, and warrants some single play, but i’ve heard stories of people fighting the hardest AI and just parrying back and forth until someone fell off the ring. Smart AI?

Best Fighter for single player is either guilty gear XX or Virtua Fighter 4 Evo.

And I think Molyneaux was the one that killed Mendoza - the DAY BEFORE HE WAS GOING TO RETIRE!! MENDOOOZZAAAAAA!!!

Sweet Merciful Crap! I’d be pissed too. Luckily, I was able to impulse-buy that Creatures clone for $4.98 at Wal-Mart. I’d be pissed if I paid full price.
That’d be almost as bad as having paid full retail for Max Payne 2: The Expansion Pack That Was Hyped, Priced, And Accepted By The Game Review Industry As A Full Sequel.

Oh wait a second, I did pay full price for that! D’OH!

yeah, i need to take a year off my job to catch up on all those games…

Gotta agree with ya there Pace; Tachyon was a gas and in some ways, much better than Freelancer.

Excellent Keyboard/mouse controlled space flight (no f’in joystick needed), some real dizzying fights around space stations and, well, about the best (and funniest) voice acting job Bruce Cambell has ever done for a game…and you can probably pick it up in the bargain bin for about 2 bucks.

As Pace so eloquently put it…Tachyon is Fun Fun Fun.

Cheers,
Con@Atari

My impulse buys are not all “bad” games, just bad for me:
Warcraft3 / Age of empires - I hate RTS games.
Sacrifice - Great game but I’m too slow to play it.
realMyst - I guess I’m also not as smart as I think :cry:
Black & White - Actually that is a bad game.
Recent impulse - Worms3D - The jury is still out for this one :wink:

Starlancer is in the same vein, really, though I prefer Tachyon for it’s psuedo-free-roaming-ness. The ship design is pretty cool, and the AI is scalable and good. Fighting the blood pirates was an amazing battle, and incredibly hard. Tachyon was the first time in a space Sim where I decided to run away from the reinforcements.