In search of a mouse

I am looking for a cheap mouse for my old netbook. I use it to stream Dominions 5 from my desktop, and the last 4 dollar mouse… Broke. No surprise, it was 4 dollars and you get what you pay for. But the price points on mice varies so much, what is the best basic mouse on the market. No frills, wired, and can stand to be dropped a few times?

Twenty bucks.

Thanks, but I’m really looking for a wired mouse. I’m also trying to spend much less than 20 dollars on a mouse. That’s probably more than the computer is worth.

Well, if you can get past the fugly, this one is well-reviewed.

That is very flugly, but it does fit my needs. I’ll take a look.

Thank you for the links!

You can turn the lighting off, at which point it should be just like a light grey pattern on the surface.

He said wired, not weird

Did I come across that way? If so, I am sorry about that.

Nothing wrong with the Havit brand, fwiw. Been using one of theirs for several months and I like it a lot.

I just learned something astonishing: not all gaming mice have on-board memory. The only way to disable the RGB lighting on this Razer Deathadder Elite is to keep their software running in the background.

Back into the box you go.

Any recommendations for this? I add a Mionix Naos 7000 that was fine except the scroll wheel broke. I kind of miss the little side areas to rest my thumb and pinky finger. But I’m not really sure.

I only need it for desktop work and shooters. I’m willing to pay $100 if it’s really worth it, but I don’t need bells and whistles aside from a couple thumb buttons and on-board memory to store DPI settings. I seem to appreciate a good scroll wheel too.

I use a G602 which amazon carries for a very reasonable $37.

Wireless, 2 AA batteries. I just swap eneloops in every once in a while. 3 DPI settings. You do need the software to do the settings. Last time I did that I ran W7. I don’t even have the software in W10, I use microsoft drivers.

Don’t let the side buttons overwhelm you, I only use the forward and back buttons.

$25 for the next 16 hours.

I’m pretty happy with my Razer Naga Trinity, but that’s so cheap it’s worth trying out!

Edit - huh, why was this thread bumped? Well, that mouse is $25 right now, too.

it got bumped when i edited the price change for today. I happened to be browsing gold box. The m502 is $14 or something too, that’s a decent productivity mouse.

Finally put the G602 aside and went back to the Naga Trinity. I found those thumb buttons (G5 and G6) to be really sharp and uncomfortable. It got so bad that even while playing a game that didn’t use them, with the corner of my thumb just barely resting against them, it would chafe.

I’m probably just getting too old. Right now my Naga Trinity with the two-button setup feels like a cloud.

I use the 602 and don’t have the thumb issues you mention. However, I find those buttons difficult to differentiate with my thumb so whenever I program them in a game I’m always hitting the wrong button. Unfortunately, my favorite mouse right now is a wired one, so I’m not willing to use it with the laptop (which is my living-room setup). So the 602 will have to suffice!

I’ve had more luck with non-gamer logitech mice than anything else.

I bought the first Microsoft gamer mouse with weights and all. That one broke in a few weeks. Tracking went wack.

I bought for my operators at work Razer Naga and Razer Deathadder. Every single one broke in a year of production. Click issues mostly.

I like the Logitech 602 so bought two of them for myself. The first broke after dropping it, and the second is dying now. Tracking issues.

WTACTUALFUCK. These gaming mice are expensive as all hell, but it seems the quality is 10x worse than a simple logitech $10 mouse!!!

I want to check this one out;

But for $135… I just bet it’s a giant piece of crap quality wise. Logitech must think gamer = gullible.

Pisses me off, because the concept is great. All those extra buttons for macros on the Naga… operators were flying through work.

So now I’m evaluating the Logitech M510, M705 Marathon and the M325. All have serious compromises, but I expect they will be reliable.

One thing I don’t get. Folks say that wireless mice have lag compared to wired. I tried to make that happen. Maybe this brain is too slow to tell, but sure does seem that the same millisecond I move the mouse, the cursor also moves. What am I missing here?

I have a multi-button mouse somewhere. I can never remember so many bindings/macros so I never use it. My current Logitech M510 has two extra buttons too, but I forget they’re there. I mostly play turn-based RPGs, so I don’t find them very useful.

More and more I’m thinking the benefits of gaming mice such as less lag time are a myth on par with buying expensive HDMI cables.

Or 144Hz monitors. But they seem to make a difference for some people, so okay.

I have never bought an expensive Logitech mouse, gaming or otherwise, and been disappointed by the quality. There may have been things I didn’t like, but quality has always been top notch. Now, the software on the other hand…