In this thread we're going to cancel (or renew!) your favorite show

ABC did their announce, and there were three surprises.

Agent Carter got picked up, which was more iffy than certain on cancellation. The two surprises were American Crime and Galavant. Both had weeks and weeks of fractional ratings, but both got a nod.

NBC and FOX should go tomorrow. I guess there’s a smidge of hope now for Constantine fans. The Agent Carter pickup makes it seem like the networks are willing to give comic-related shows more of a shot.

Glad to see Peggy made the cut. IZombie made it, too.

Seems like Hulu/Netflix/Amazon Prime have thrown a wrench into the metrics. Shows don’t have to stay on network TV to get episodes aired anymore, for syndication.

Speaking of, this thread seems like as good a place as any to ask what the deal is with the magic number of episodes for syndication. In the UK, there’s no real correlation between the number of episodes a show has and the chances of it being picked up for repeats on another channel. Arguably the opposite - the longest running shows are soaps or soap-equivalent dramas (think ER, but British) and basically only get repeated on a “network”'s own dedicated repeats channel, if at all. Other than the convenience of being able to air lots of episodes of the same show, rather than multiple shows, why is a moderately popular 100 episode show more likely to be syndicated than a more popular 48 episode show?

In the US when the shows are picked up for syndication, the expectation is that they’ll run at least 5 episodes per week. If there are fewer than 80 episodes (or 88, which is usually the standard 22-episode US TV season run times four seasons), the series churns too quickly and the network that airs it worries about boring its audience by cycling through every 4 months or so.

If there are fewer than 80 episodes (or 88, which is usually the standard 22-episode US TV season run times four seasons), the series churns too quickly and the network that airs it worries about boring its audience by cycling through every 4 months or so.

What I mean is, why is one show with 80 episodes better than two shows of 40 each (on a per episode basis)? Other than convenience. Obviously, a long, very popular show beats out a shorter show of equivalent popularity, because you’re at least in theory locking in those viewers for more episodes, but it seems from the outside that long shows are favoured over shorter shows of higher popularity. Or, more obviously, that marginal syndication shows get stretched out longer than they should be just to get over the hurdle number, reducing the average quality (and hence in an ideal world the average viewership).

And now it’s officially over: NBC has cancelled Constantine, along with State Of Affairs.

FOX cancels The Following after three seasons as well.

I’m stoked that Galavant made the cut.

And the big news is leaking: CSI is indeed done-ski. They’ll get a 2-hour movie to wrap the show, will air next year.

Battle Creek, The McCarthys, and Stalker all cancelled on CBS.

Backstrom was also cancelled by FOX

Shame, Battle Creek was starting to be a guilty pleasure…

BTW, and this is kinda nuts at this point, we STILL don’t have an answer on the three-way battle for the final two 1-hour drama holdover spots for CBS. Bluebloods, Good Wife, and Hawaii Five-Oh still fighting for two available spots on the 2015 fall schedule. One of them is bearchow.

No word from CBS yet.

Oh, and NBC ALMOST did something that hadn’t happened on network TV in 40 years: they almost had zero rookie show renewals for 2015. At the last minute to stave off that PR disaster, they renewed The Mysteries Of Laura.

Shame, I watch all of them.

They need to get rid of the new CSI and NCIS instead, what the heck do they add other than SOS?

I heard on the radio today that The Good Wife was renewed.

Yep, sorry I’ve been remiss. CBS actually renewed all 3, leaving one slot for a new drama on the fall schedule…

But then we found out that Person Of Interest is getting only a 13 episode order next year. Sounds like it’ll get a half season and be done for good and a new drama will replace it.

When I saw my Mom on Mother’s day, she actually told me this, lol. Good to hear.

Sorry to hear about POI.

I guess actually being successful lets CBS cancel good shows that are far better than some of the crap on the other networks.

Was Castle on the bubble? Since last night had no cliffhanger and seemed like it could have been used as a wrap up.Then they announced during the credits Castle would be back in the fall…

This was sort of shocking to me, but it did get a significant ratings drop off this season. It’s still getting pretty good ratings, but not great (or really good, or however we define these things, I’m not sure).

It’s interesting. PoI’s falls (into early winter) have tended to be stronger (excepting, maybe, Season 1) overall in terms of episodes. I think a reason is that we typically get the first 12-14 eps with only a couple of breaks, and those are typically Holliday driven and understandable. But CBS - like all the big networks often do - has continued to act as if it’s 1985 and the sprind schedule is such a train wreck. Clusters of eps here and there with many more breaks between them (and often breaks longer than a single skipped airing week).

While it is a procedural it’s the most meta-arcy procedural in the history of TV. It’s basically where X-files was, except the mythology stuff (so to speak) is excellent and has stayed excellent. At no point has anyone thought “what the fuck they’re just making this shit up as they go along”. It would have probably been an even better show with a 13-episode run each season anyway. We would have lost a couple of fun numbers here and there but the lack of filler (and PoI’s is sometimes good, and sometimes not) would probably be worth it. A 13 episode season should allow them to release the Kraken and give the show a pretty great send off.

I am shocked they won’t be letting it hang around, though. Like Lloyd said, I guess CBS is in a position where they can do shit like this.

Looks like Mindy Project got rescued by Hulu! Yay! That’s where I watched all the episodes of the show anyway, so nothing has changed for me, and it seems very fitting.

The season premiere of Mindy Project was amazing. Heck, that would have made a great series finale too.

I liked it.