In Which North Carolina Strives to Create an American Christian Caliphate

To be honest I hate the NCAA with a passion and it would be nice if the NCAA did things with some kind logic. The NCAA will punish one group while patting another on the shoulder.

The basketball fanbases aren’t the problem- they usually vote Dem.

It’s the football fans you gotta worry about.

NBA maybe. But not college basketball, where the league isn’t filled with gloryboys™ and rap music listeners.

I know the State fanbase is condemning the State government hard for this- and they’re the most conservative of the fanbases in general.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/19/494573314/north-carolina-governor-drops-bathroom-bill-lawsuit-against-u-s

Just note, however, that currently, McCrory’s saying he’ll only repeal the actual law if-and-when Charlotte drops the LGBT provisions from the city law that kicked off this whole mess.

AKA, “We’ll stop actively discriminating against minorities as soon as people stop trying to protect them!”

God damn this state.

Charlotte pretty much told him hell no already.

Elon poll today was weird. Had McCrory leading but Ross also leading. Usually McCrory underperforms Trump, and Burr overperforms, so I’m guessing that’s an outlier. Looking at it I suspect the poll skews Republican, but I also worry about a hidden Trump vote- but I don’t think that vote would go downballot- most anti-Hillary young voters don’t like McCrory at all.

Charlotte area representative to our fine Congress:

When asked what protesters’ grievances were on a BBC TV news program, Pittenger said: “The grievance in their minds – the animus, the anger – they hate white people because white people are successful and they’re not. It is a welfare state,” he said. “We have spent trillions of dollars on welfare, and we’ve put people in bondage, so they can’t be all they’re capable of being.”

Later apology included bonus victim-blaming…

He also tweeted a response, saying “My answer to BBC doesn’t reflect who I am.” Pittenger said again that he was quoting statements made by protesters on TV.

Lookie here, them darkies are just inferior to whites, we all know this, they can help it… I mean, they told me themselves!

Seriously, fuck the South. Just when you think maybe it’s not complete shit they’re only too happy to show you that they’re just as bad or worse than you suspected in the first place.

Remember kids, the Libertarian Party is a serious, thoughtful organization filled with serious, thoughtful people:

And yet, I like him more than Burr.

Well, yes. Mr. Haugh, at least, is not a Trump-endorsing Monster! :)

North Carolina is very likely ground zero in what could blow up as the biggest political story since the Trump election.

Governor Pat McCrory lost his reelection bid by about 7,000 vote as of the current count in the state. That’s a small margin, and likely triggers an automatic recount, once McCrory calls for it.

But…McCrory and his people are under no illusions that a recount could net them the 7,000 votes needed to make up his deficit.

What they’ve been doing instead is sowing across state media outlets the seeds of something more sinister. McCrory and his surrogates have been raising election fraud allegations against dark blue Carolina counties, especially Durham. The goal is to get to the North Carolina legislature–where Republicans have a supermajority–and to have that body declare that a “contest” exists related to the conduct of the voting itself in the state. The North Carolina Constitution allows the legislature to step in if such occurrence is deemed to have happened, and declare Governor McCrory the winner, overturning the election result.

That would result in an ugly fight at the Federal level on grounds of equal protection and due process.

Nevermind the persistent swirl of rumors about the legislature performing an emergency expansion of the State Supreme Court, which was recently switched to a slight liberal majority (after Republican efforts to prevent the Democratic challenger to a contested seat from even running were swatted down by higher authorities), which would enable (possibly)-exiting Governor McCrory to pack the court with enough new conservative appointees to maintain their majority. Some state legislators are on record denying the plan, but a couple of papers found anonymous sources who’d say the legal questions involved are at least being asked in the run up to an emergency legislative session meant to deal with hurricane relief. I’m REALLY hoping nothing comes of that rumor.

Just when you thought NC couldn’t be even more comically terrible/embarrassing, our Republicans come through!

I have a lot of respect for William Barber. Looks like we need Moral Monday protests nationwide now

The meeting today seems to have gone as well as could be expected, and McCrory has officially requested a recount, which may be his final option now.

A ray of hope?? I seriously hope this doesn’t get blocked or overturned.

God, that video at the top of the page? Makes me sick to my stomach. Fuck these people eternally. The sooner they’re all voted out and cast down from on high, the better for everyone.