Insomniac's Marvel's Spider-Man

Aaaargh.

That sucks, hopefully a replacement is on its way soon.

I played a bit last night and am definitely glad I picked it up. Web-slinging around is fun and the city is…I don’t know, guess you could call it visually stunning. Combat is a little more hectic than I expected but I just need to get a bit more used to the flow. I like that the collect-a-thon backpacks each have a little memento of some kind in it. Adds a bit of a personal touch to the hunt.

Supposedly a replacement’s coming tomorrow. We’ll see. They gave me a full refund, though, so I think I can handle waiting. Not like I don’t have plenty else on my backlog.

My copy is out for delivery. Best Buy is usually pretty good about release day deliveries.

Just finished up God of War (excellent btw) so I’m all set to start a new game.

Walked into Best Buy last night to pre-order at like 7:30pm. They told me they were letting people with pre-orders pick them up at 9pm, which if I’d known before hand I might have planned around but I didn’t want to kill 90 minutes. So, I’m going in after work to pick it up with my son (who is also going in for his first tattoo - well, we’re meeting with the artists to get a sense of price and set up an appointment). Going to be an interesting day.

I think I’m more interested in the tattoo story, but I guess that’s a topic for another thread.

And I wouldn’t mind talking about it a bit, so I put it here:

Hey, so if anyone besides me ordered this from GreenManGaming, the voucher they email ONLY has the codes for the pre-order bonuses. I spent 2 hours trying to figure out why Sony wanted to charge me a second time after I put my code in. To get the game unlock code you actually need to go to GMG and pull up your keys. DERP.

I have to wait until Tuesday. Remember when Amazon delivered games on release day? Those were fun times.

Irony, if they’d used their normal Prime shipping method, (I mean, I do have Prime), instead of UPS Sure Post (which is one of the worst things ever invented)…I would have had the game in hand today.

Fucking Amazon.

That’s odd, I had the opposite. The key I was mailed was for the game, but no preorder stuff.

Lotta fun so far. Nothing shockingly original about it, but it borrows the better parts from many other games (including Spider-man 2) and executes them well. And it perfectly captures the spirit of Pete/Spidey. Such a pleasure to play a AAA superhero game where the main characters isn’t a sourpuss!

One tiny nit: none of the people in New York have New York accents.

I got the game code right when I placed my order around lunchtime Thursday 9/6, didn’t get my preorder stuff key until mid-morning Friday 9/7.

I’d forgotten how ridiculous PS4 install times are. Gah.

This is a lot of fun. Not perfect, but really solid. 8/10, would purchase again.

Oh, damn.

tl;dr
Guy asks Insomniac to hide his wedding proposal in the game.
The studio does it.
His intended leaves him for his own brother a couple of weeks before the game launched.

So, on the one hand: yay, finally open world buildings have windows you can see through!

On the other hand: they’ve made no effort to make it work properly, so the view from adjacent windows is inconsistent.

Baby steps…

Yeah but come on, it’s amazing that kind of detail exists around the city and in HDR it looks amazing!

Maddie you done wrong

I honestly think it’s kind of brilliant how they handled it. Procedural “portals” into generic office spaces but those spaces don’t actually exist in the game space! I saw the effect demoed in Digital Foundry’s analysis and it’s hilarious and a great innovation IMO.