Insomniac's Marvel's Spider-Man

And yes, almost every time you’re not controlling Spider-Man directly, it’s frustrating. There was one mission late in the game where you’re playing someone else and working with Spider-Man, and that was almost fun, but just almost.

I agree. Hated the non-Spidey interludes except for that one. Mainly because there were times when you would see Spidey doing his thing from an outside perspective, and it was super cool.

I’ve finished the main mission, and unlocked most of the suits. The last remaining few I’m missing are contingent on doing Taskmaster challenges and I’m just not finding those enjoyable. Except for the combat ones, of course!

If you have the DLC and continue its version of challenge activities, you will look back fondly on the simpler, easier times dealing with Taskmaster.

Are any regulars here interested in trading God of War or Spiderman for Red Dead Redemption 2 (Me giving RDR2) on the PS4? If so PM me. Sorry for the duplicate post in the God of War thread.

FYI the DLC Season Pass is on sale this week on PSN.

What do people think about this deal? Having read here that the challenge missions in the DLC are frustrating, I have to wonder if any of the missions are worth it.

Oh I liked the DLC overall. If you’re a completionist who hated the Taskmaster challenges, get ready for a more frustrating version of that. But you can just as easily ignore them, or not worry about the highest rank.

I also really like pretty much all of the game’s zillion costumes, and the DLC has some great ones. Purely cosmetic, but that’s fine by me.

Hey all, I just picked this up, and am playing the tutorial bits. I’m having a hard time remembering all the combat moves they’re trying to teach me because they’re coming at me so rapid fire. I hope there’s a “spid-o-pedia” in the menus or something with little animations that you can consult…

There are.

Also, that first tutorial boss encounter with Kingpin is probably the hardest in the game.

Whew.
Thanks, good to know. I’m playing on normal and already gotten Spidey killed a couple of times.

Can someone give me any tips on catching up with fleeing cars? Is it a matter of getting better at swinging through the canyons between tall buildings?

Keep your swings low, use the ‘zoom’ thing (is that the X button?)…you move really fast when you stay low with short swings.

That said, was one chase that I found highly annoying, and you don’t have much room for error. I had to try that one several times because I kept losing the car quickly, and it was frustrating.

Yeah the, uh, “zip” ability. You can upgrade it to use it twice before you have to swing again. Highly recommended.

That said, chases suck. Wait until they start shooting at you with olympic+ level snipers and you have to dodge the shots and keep up the chase.

There are things I love about this game for sure (only about 60% or so through the main narrative, which I think is very well done), but I can’t say I much enjoy the chases, and there are too many of them.

Thanks for the replies on chasing cars. I guess I have to get better at swinging. I never got very far into Spiderman 2 on the OG Xbox because I could never get a handle on it (good thing I bought it used).

Speaking of swinging, what does the whooshing air visual effect around Spidey mean when you’re doing it? Is that telling you to let go of the R2 button?

Heh, I found Shadow of War combat easier somehow, probably because i can use an Xbox 360/One controller with it and the counter is the Y button up top. :-) I’m not used to having to zip around so much like Spidey has to (but I’m learning).

Pretty sure that effect just intensifies as you move faster to increase the sense of speed, unless you’re describing some specific thing I forgot.

I’m at level 12 now, and having a heck of a time trying to take out the Fisk bases. Any particular tips on winning strategies, which suit powers to use etc.? Also, I seem to recall that the first “tutorial” base was set up such that it had a checkpoint if you died where you didn’t have to start before the first wave, but the other night I died and boom I was back at the beginning. Finally, how do you regenerate “health power” or whatever to recharge the reserve you draw on when hitting down on the D-pad? Is it from taking out baddies? And do the bases level up with you?

Playing on normal difficulty if it makes a difference.

I generally focused on stealth for the bases. If you played the Batman Arkham games, it’s similar to those. Zip around the elevated areas, try to lure guys away from a group, hit the takedown button, repeat.

I think I used the Web Blossom suit power pretty much the whole game, but in this case, Battle Focus would be better. You can pop it if you get in trouble, and your meter will continuously regenerate for a short time. Outside of that, regenerating meter is done by stringing together combos. I think air combos (start by holding square to punch a dude into the air) refill it faster, but I may be mistaken on that.

When you do get into a donnybrook, make sure you use the dodge and jump buttons liberally. As we know, Spidey pulls his punches against mooks, so your only advantage is your quickness and agility. Keep moving until you get some time and space, unleash a combo or two, then repeat. As you internalize all the different aspects of the system, you’ll eventually get to the point where Kingpin thugs will barely lay a hand on you.

Stealth only gets you through the first round on bases, so some attack strategy is useful for the next rounds.

• Battle Focus is the most useful suit power if maintaining health is an issue (and it usually is).
  • Launch opponents into the air to isolate and attack them without taking hits from the crowd.
  • Swing Kick into walls + standard webshooter attack to stick to the wall is an easy takedown.
  • Use the environment to make the enemies come to you from only one direction if possible.
  • Yanking weapons & shields and throwing them back to enemies is a great way to eliminate ranged attacks.
  • There’s a good chance you aren’t dodging enough, the fighting style is all about avoiding hits rather than taking them, especially against the tank enemies. Don’t go toe to toe. Learn to dodge or avoid, then attack from behind. Stick and move, take out one, jump to the ceiling, repeat.
  • Knock-down moves like Spin Cycle and Wrecking Ball are great for creating some space when enemies are trying to mob up. Unless it’s a story mission, you can always level up a bit and come back with new attacks & tools.
  • Be sure to use the quick-takedown web gadgets to thin the crowds before wading into a fight. Impact Web is amazingly useful, as is Web Bomb for crowd control. Concussive Blast comes later, and is great for knocking enemies off roofs.