Internet speed

I know it’s insane, but I think Starlink might be a viable option for me, and I live in a major metropolitan area. Due to the vagaries of where I live. the fastest Internet speed I can get is 50 / 10 Mbps VDSL, and that’s what I’m in the midst of upgrading to from my previous 25 / 13 Mbps (don’t ask me why the upstream bandwidth is capped lower at the higher speeds). If Starlink can deliver even close to the 1Gbps down they promise with any reasonable sort of upstream and latency, I’m in. I know I’m not in some remote community, but I maintain hope that Musk’s efforts are going to save me from the bandwidth wasteland in which I reside.

Verizon’s fixed point 5G LTE service may also work for you.

An issue for people in dense metro areas especially with tall buildings is simply access to line of sight needed to see the satilites.

Unfortunately I’m in Canada (a Montreal suburb to be precise), but it’s very possible that some of the wireless carriers will come up with something similar. As for line of sight, @Jason_Becker, it should be fine, I don’t have any tall buildings near me (again, suburb). Apparently Musk has already put in his application with the CRTC (Canada’s equivalent of the FCC) and is likely to get approval, especially as he’s saying the right things about giving the otherwise very disadvantaged remote northern communities in Canada access to proper high speed internet. We certainly live in very cool times!

Not my highest in this thread, but I’ll take it. Wireless, 30+’ from the router, 1 wall.

Yesterday I had my internet upgraded from 100MB to 1GB.
The tech connected a device to my router and ran a speed test. The speeds were basically 900MB up and down.

However, when I go to my computer and go to a speed test site, while my download speed is indeed in the 900MB range, my upload speed is only in the 500MB range.

Does anyone understand why this is and what can be done about it?

What wifi adapter do you use on your PC? What speed is it capable of? Guessing the 900MB download means it’s fast enough. But I wonder if that’s where the bottleneck is for uploads.

Can you connect your computer via cable to the router and run a speed test? That would be where I’d start diagnosing the issue.

If you’re getting those speeds over wifi, you’re golden. Those are really good wifi speeds. I barely get 500 down over wifi. Besides, what do you need more than 500 up for?

This speed test is done via a cable directly connected to my router. I used wired for my main computer.

Which site / tool are you testing with? Try this if you haven’t:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

The tech tests the speed to the local cable company equipment - not the Internet. Depending on where you speed test you can see very different results for gigabit. There were no gigabit capable test modes local to me on Speedtest.net for a while for example, so I’d always get slow results with their site.

What speed is the network card on your computer? Is it built-in, PCI, or USB?

I don’t have good advice, but I am here to say that the exact same thing happened to me (except mine is new service from cable to FiOS). I decided that 500Mbps upload is fine, but I do feel like it’s a little bullshitty.

They are always careful to have the phrase “up to” in there somewhere.

Yeah, I’m still in the phase where I’m happy enough that the speeds are so much better that I’m just going to forget about it.

I am fine with 500MB upload. I am just wondering why it is that way when they dude 's device on my router said it was getting 900MB. It was some kind of app though, not like he had his laptop and ran a speed test on that. I was just wondering if I had some kind messed up configuration.

In any case, for my purposes, 500MB upload is plenty.

Yeah they just connect to a local node to test line speed rather than anything for your internet in action. I think maybe google’s speedtest upload has issues above 500mbps though because when I went to Mel’s link on dslreports I got higher, and it was during a meeting so effective bandwidth is even better than that.

Great that y’all have such huge upload speeds. We got the 1 Gb (940 Mbps) download with our service here in Canada (Eastlink) but it only offers 10 Mbps upload, same with any of their packages. They don’t even publish that anywhere on their website, probably because it’s such a terrible number.

I only get 40 Mbps with Xfinity. If you need to be spewing loads of data, they want you on their Pro service which is like 3 and a half times the monthly price (though, tbf, that’s a 2 gigabit down and up, so it might be worth it if you’re moving a ton of data).

I had 940/50, which seemed low. Then I moved and got 940/35. 940/10 is absurd!

Think Spectrum’s $110 gig service is 940/35.

I know that if you have schoolkids, they’re now offering a reduced rate 50/5 service through schools.