Into the Breach - Turn Based Strategy

Just no patience for people whose go to tone is condescending. I think it’s the people being asses over a thumbs down video game review who are being too sensitive.

The satisfaction of a puzzle game is that “ah ha!” moment when you figure out a perfect solution. Often that’s not possible in ItB because of random spawns. “Okay I’ll position in case it’s a melee charge enemy with a backup mech in case it’s a flying enemy who’s going to try and take the city from the flank…oh it’s an artillery enemy who’s going to shoot a city from the far back I can’t reach.” You can position for 1 or 2 possibilities but often not 3. If Sokoban spawned a random level where you couldn’t possible push one of the crates into position, wouldn’t that be a negative?

But now I wouldn’t say the occasional Kobayashi Maru situations make the game as whole too hard, just not satisfying. If you fail in a puzzle game, it should be because the solution was there and you missed it. Too many destroyed cities feel like you planned for scissors and paper but the RNG threw rock and you can’t position to cover for all 3 possibilities.

It’s not hard because the secret I discovered is that most of the upgrades suck and you don’t really need them, and to just think of stars as extra energy life bars. Do the 2 island minimum, run the final island which scales down but that’s fine because less enemies is a bigger help than any of the upgrades. Most squads have one glaring gap to be covered and closing that gap is really the only important upgrade.

I didn’t find the game fun or satisfying in any of the areas it was shooting for. I really can’t think of many more ways to say that. Let’s just mark that as the 1% minority.

As an outsider, it really seems you are being too sensitive and reading into peoples replies.

@Left_Empty is one of the nicest guys in the world, who’s first language is French, not English. There was nothing derogatory in his post and it is silly you’re all worked up for a little game like this.

Please rethink whether this is a hill to die on as it is unnecessary. Also, it’s nice to see a different color for username. Don’t think I’d seen the “I” color before.

Who cares? It’s not a puzzle game. There are puzzle elements to it, but it’s not a puzzle game. There’s some chaos involved in the game that makes it not what you think it’s trying to be. But that’s not a negative if you like that sort of thing.

It’s not a puzzle game. You can’t cover all of the possibilities. And that’s what some people (almost everybody except you) find fun about it.

Why does the fact that you don’t have a million upgrade options at any given time make the game any easier? Didn’t you say you only were able to complete the game on easy difficulty?

That’s fine. You’ve made this point repeatedly.

We don’t all have to like everything. I’ve never played FTL and have no intention of doing so, for instance.

This. If it’s always possible to get a perfect outcome, then it feels like I’m taking a test. I have to sit there and keep working on it until I get the right answer or give up. If I know that sometimes success isn’t possible, I can settle for making a move that’s just good enough. But I completely understand that’s a matter of personality and some would see it the opposite way.

Sadly, Left Empty doesn’t even know about that one interview with Roberta Williams where she said that elitist stuff, so your sick burn was wasted. I’m totally gonna steal it though and use it against someone when it is appropriate.

I would agree except that I’ve made my share of butthurt flying-off-the-handle posts in the last few days. The internet does that to you sometimes.

I’ve seen it described as a puzzle game turn by turn.

As in each turn is a puzzle, and there’s an optimal solution.

It’s certainly not a “proper” tactics game compared to what I’m used to.

If the optimum solution in any particular turn includes a solution that will lead to a loss because of your precious bad turns and choices on upgrades because of ignorance of the mechanics, then yes.

All valid points, but the game is over so quickly you can start over with no drama

OK, 10 hrs played now, and the best I’ve managed is dying on the 3rd island, or skipping the 3rd and going directly to the volcano, and dying on the 2nd level where one of the Vek does damage every turn.

When there are 6 Vek and 3 of you it is impossible to defend everything that needs to be defended.

I entirely understand those who are frustrated, because I am.

The game gives you all these cool toys and abilities then ups the bullshit ante and you get screwed over.

Conversely, there are some times when the solution is blindingly obvious.

I’ve unlocked 3 squads and so far the Rust Bucks are my favourite. Disabling electric storms are fun, as is that rocket launcher.

That science mech can be useful but I’m thinking of going for a custom squad and replacing it with the Flame Behemoths teleporter.

Over the last 6 hrs playtime I’ve unlocked precisely one coin, and that is aggravating.

Have you watched anyone else play? Sounds like you need to get out of your own head and watch someone else play to get some ideas/inspiration.

Alternatively, you can do like me and throw any pride away, spend 10 hours playing on Easy getting used to the enemies and systems, and then only enjoy Normal for the awesome challenge it proposes!

I’m right there with you and feel dirty, but dang is it an effective means to pop some cheevos. While it almost feels like cheating to me, I justify it all by deluding myself that once I unlock all of the mechs and pilots I can take on the Hard Chaos mode.

Think I will try that. I always let things get out of control on Normal, and then get frustrated and move without thinking so it snowballs.

I never beat FTL either, I think it’s because of my lack of patience in these kind of games.

One turn away from winning and I accidentally hit the spacebar, ending the turn before I move any of my mechs. The bugs destroy the remaining Grid and I lose.

Thankfully, it was just my Easy run. So, I’ve changed the settings and will start my next run on Normal. Perhaps the gods won’t find it necessary to seek retribution on Normal.

There is no shame in spending as much time as you want on Easy. Normal will kick your teeth in if you’re not pretty comfortable with the rules, flow, and units of the game.

That’s true. You need to try not to let it get to that point. Try to block as many of the Vek holes each turn as you can. Either with a squad member or by knocking one of the Vek on top of a hole.

That’s why I love the squads that let you move things around. I’m playing Flame Behemoths currently and they are wonderful for this. Every one of the 3 squad members can move stuff. Last night I sat around and did nothing for the final turn of a battle because I’d killed all the Veks and blocked all their spawn holes on the previous turn.

I actually like the final battle because the game provides lava and falling rock squares so if you pull or knock the Vek boss or other bugs into one of those it’s an instant kill no matter how many HP they have.

Was watching someone play as Blitzkreig last night and they looked ridiculously good.

I’m definitely not liking the Zenith Guard. Laser guy is fairly powerful, but ramming guy taking damage on his attack limits his use. The 3rd guy can save your bacon with the shield and move. As a whole they seem like a difficult bunch.

Well, I was doing fine until I parked laser guy next to the satellite launch. I thought the shield would protect him, but it didn’t. Things went downhill after that. Still, they seem like a weaker bunch than the first 2 squads.

I think Abe would work well for that squad with his armor passive should negate the ramming cars negatives.