Into the Breach - Turn Based Strategy

A.C.I.D. + Lightning Whip is a delicious, delicious combo. I also like Silica + Chain Lightning Mech.

Silica is a pilot right? I can’t immediately recall what she does. Is she the shoot twice one?

Cool - awesome assessment!

Yep, it’s one of the robots and needs two power to unlock that ability - but obviously it brings major benefits with it.

I finally won with the Steel Judoka by the skin of my teeth. I barely made it - it was sooo tense. Unfortunately I don’t have enough coins to buy the next squad so I’ll need to try and get some of those achievements before i continue my quest to get 2 island victories with all squads.

Barbecue!

I performed this move and had 2 turns with nothing to do.

Shockpocalypse.jpeg

I do love the concept of the Steel Judoka - the idea of turning the Vek against themselves with a sumo mech is super cool. I wish I was better with them.

So, that was island 4, and i was doing well.

Then I messed up, because i pulled an enemy onto what I thought was a water tile, but it was an ice tile, so they were right next to my pulling mech, which they killed.

I survived the mission, but was down a pilot. Luckily I had a spare, and i finished the island.

Onto the volcano, and it went bad from the very beginning, me thinking I was clever leaving an enemy to get eaten by the lava pit, and not realising said enemy was flying…

Unforced error that irritated me and led to other errors.

What really pissed me off was that i made it to the volcano after 4 islands, for the first time ever, and I don;t have a single coin to show for it.

So coins are obtained by achievements only. That…sucks.

Yes, they require much, much brain time investment!

Personally, I find that I fare much better with one or two AI pilots. The lack of extra skills is made up by not have having to worry about survivability. It’s like a new skill on its own!

Well the Judo guy can’t throw Vek onto other Vek, so that’s an option out of the window,.

Their pushing and pulling is rubbish (compare that to the Flame Mech who can teleport stuff).

Their damage output is rubbish (ONE damage, after throwing a Vek…).

Seems to me the whole game centres on either damaging or positioning the enemy, and this squad does both badly.

And they’re not manouvrable (no flying) either, or tanky.

Clearly I’m missing something but it seems to me their gimmick just plain sucks.

Truth is I don’t think I was able to get them to hit each other more than 5-6 times across all my battles. I did a lot of pushing them over the edge and killing once I got my weapon upgraded.

This is an accurate summation of their weaknesses. The one thing that made the “repositioning enemies” thing a little better was to level up the passive skill that makes the Vek do more damage to each other. And once the artillery had his “Buildings Immune” upgrade he made more sense as an area/square control type unit. But for two of the mechs it was essential to have a decent suite of damage-oriented secondary abilities. I ended up with the Shield Bash for the Judo mech and (I think) the rocket that damages all enemies on the board.

I do think Vice Fist is underpowered - maybe it should be able to throw a Vek onto a square containing another one, and maybe just knock it back? Although that seems like it might be TOO powerful.

However, it’s worth noting that my current high score is with Steel Judoka. Once I got into a groove, it was a good grove - but I don’t know how replicable it would be from campaign to campaign, maybe I just lucky.

This is definitely true, but upgrading the damage stat for enemies attacking each other does make each of those times count - especially once Alpha Vek start showing up.

Why there has to be so much difference between Easy and Normal difficulties. I hate when game designers just don’t put enough difficulty options in their otherwise good games.

Easy game, 1st attempt = Easy win with 4 islands.
Normal game, 3 attempts = can’t finish even the first island.

That matter is always very personal. I found the progression between easy and normal very smooth, after a first initial hiccup. Hard is very hard though!

Well, at least I could advance to the second island, lol.

I have to take my hat off to the great variety to mechs, enemies and environmental conditions. I have seen lightning, tremors, tsunamis, acid pools, volcanos, teleporters, conveyor belts, shields, ice storms, allied units, and more.

I can see why some people were struggling to classify the game, calling it more a puzzle game. It’s because the game explicitly tells you the next action of the monsters, you are supposed to use that information to beat them against impossible odds.

So, I played some more and earned more coins, enough to unlock the frozen Mechs. That’s every squad in the base game unlocked, and I’ve managed a 2 island victory twice now, different squads.

55 hours now played, I think I have my money’s worth, but honestly I’m not sure I will play enough to unlock all coins and medals for every squad.

Frozen Titans are awesome, give them a shot before you quit.

I have. I’ve done an island with them.

Good for crowd control, not very lethal though.

55 hours, wow! I’m only 15 hours in but managed to unlock all but one squad and have a lot of achievements. The difference is I’m playing on a mix of Easy/Normal (Easy when I play a new squad or just want some casual fun). I can’t imagine getting 55 hours out of this, but it’s awesome you did. Talk about value!