Into the Breach - Turn Based Strategy

Here neither. I have no idea!
Edit: ah, I get it, GOG’s site being an horrible mess, it sent me to “Into the Stars” when I clicked “Into the Breach”.
No goodies for Into the Breach, at all, which is meant by having no Goodies category.

I started this 3 days ago and somehow have 17 hours into it. I beat it once on Hard with a custom squad and uninstalled before it sucked away more time!

I’m about 100 hours in. The interface is obscure in places, the retro graphics do nothing for me, and the randomness of incoming enemy movement can put you in an untenable situation depending on the loadout.

… and I am there for it. The game loop is smooth and it just excels with a simple rule set that gets you thinking creatively. I can do a really smart turn but end it nervously because I left a unit near a corner and maybe ineffective next turn.

I finally started playing this on Switch and absolutely love it. Getting a 2-island completion is so incredibly satisfying, even though I’m still playing on Easy so far.

I’m going to play the game a bunch more and with other Mech teams before bumping it up to Normal, but man this game is just perfect to play while on my commute, and listening to a podcast or whatever.

(I know the soundtrack is amazing, but I’m happy listening to that in other situations instead of just while playing the game!)

I picked this up in the last Steam sale, and yeah, it’s great. Just got my first 2-island victory (on Normal), so, feelin’ pretty good about that.

The one nit I would pick, (and maybe I’m just doing something wrong?) is that there’s all these great upgrades (weapon upgrades, movement/hp upgrades, plus the occasional new weapon with upgrades), but you need energy cores (or whatever they’re called) to activate them – and those cores seem really rare, to the point where I can’t imagine ever getting to activate even a small fraction of those upgrades. Like, I don’t think I’ve ever gotten more than two or three cores in a run, and that’s including buying them and finding them in time pods.

Just seeing all those unfilled upgrade ovals makes me sad!

I get a bit of that feeling too, but I think it makes sense for the game. As you get better at the game, and don’t need to repair the grid at the end of each island, you can afford to buy more power cores. The relative scarcity also means that you are making tough choices about which upgrades to power at all, rather than just what order to max things out in. And of course, it also helps you always have upgrades to go for, even at the end of four islands.

Yeah, Gear with high activation/upgrade costs are useless if you’re working to upgrade stuff you already have.

Finishing perfect on an area helps speed the upgrade path

During each island I usually prioritize reputation, so by the end of each island I can buy 2-3 power cores. And buying those cores usually seems more valuable to me than buying the equipment offered for that reputation.

Granted, I’m usually playing on Easy, and sometimes Normal, so perhaps that strategy doesn’t usually work too well on Normal / Hard.

Generally speaking if you are buying something besides cores at the end of an island, something went wrong.

Interesting article on how the metagame was supposed to be much deeper but had to be dumped.

Just picked this up and it is indeed spectacular. Subset games just amazes me. A record of 2 for 2, both unique games, minimalistic graphics, and yet the immersion is mindblowing. They might be my nomination for best devs ever at this point.

Just managed a victory and I think I’ll leave it there, but in the credits I saw Chris Avellone credited for writing?

I hope it was the little shouts from the buildings when the mechs drop in. They seem so happy to see me :)

I forgot Avellone got involved with them! It totally makes sense - the immersion via text is amazing.

Into the Breach is currently free on the Epic Games Store: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/into-the-breach/home

(free game promotion ends on 12/20/2019 at 11:00 AM eastern)

There probably was a lot more he contributed to the original meta game that got dropped if the article you linked above is any indication.

Oh yeah – that makes sense! Gosh, the must have deleted so much of his stuff! I believe he joined them already back in the free dlc for FTL.

I picked this up for free on the epic store. Of course it stayed backlogged for a bit. Just checked it out. Amazeballs. So addictive!

So, got tips? Things one should/ should not do?

Also, why is this and FTL not on android? My tablet cries out for them.

Totally agree. Apparently the devs aren’t willing to let other people work on the port, and their port of FTL to iOS was so painful that they decided to not port anything else. Insanity, if you ask me. These games are ideal for touch interfaces, since they take place on one non-scrolling screen and involve large mostly static buttons.

In theory, I agree. But more than anything, Into the Breach should be considered a miracle of interface design… and getting the same level of intuitiveness, informativeness, and polish that they got on PC on a touchscreen is not guaranteed, even with the advantage of a fixed playfield.

Which is a shame, because they did a great job on it. It’s a perfect iPad game.