Ion Maiden - 3D Realms Build Engine retro shooter

Yes. That’s “Bombshell” from the terrible other game.

I wants it. I needs it.

I don’t know whether I’ll ever play this, but I’m really glad it exists.

I thought there was going to be an Iron Maiden game since I read the title too quickly.

I saw an article about the game a few days ago and watched a trailer, and I’d SWEAR it said “Iron”

It’s a good thing metal bands aren’t litigious about IP.

Destructoid has an interview with the dev team and a video preview:

Count me in.

It will be interesting to see if they hit the feel of the 90s FPS, there’s been a few of these retro shooters and so far they have missed the mark.

It helps that Voidpoint is actually using a retro engine instead of cobbling a “retro” facsimile out of Unity or Unreal.

I love playing a 90’s style FPS that doesn’t feature a heavy-metal soundtrack. The moody midi tracks sound like something out of Blood, expect a bit spruced up. I’ve played through the first couple of levels of the standalone campaign, and I really love the level design. The way keycards work is mostly for extra areas and secrets (which are everywhere - 28 in level 1!) rather than blocking off the critical path. The weapons feel over-powered, especially the shotgun, and that is just how I like it! The art direction for futuristic Washington is stellar. It’s neither obvious cyberpunk or over the top gritty, and there’s way more color than the original Build titles. Try using the interact key on a wall socket! The full campaign will be awesome when it hits in Q3.

According to the Destructoid feature, Voidpoint have a Switch dev kit, and are working on prototypes.

Yeah, I think I’m gonna pick this up.

K, I just spent 90 minutes playing the game, and Ho. Lee. Shit. That was so fucking fun. Seriously explodey shootey awesome level designey fun. This is the PRE-CAMPAIGN? The level design is AMAZING, and bad guys go squish real good with grenades and shotguns.

That’s awesome to hear you’re really enjoying it! The team have been making maps for 3D Realms games for years, and the tech guys have been incredible at documenting and creating source ports to maintain and preserve the original technology for modern setups. The project director estimates the final game will be roughly eight times longer than the mini-campaign.

If you feel so inclined, maybe leave a review. It would mean a lot to the team, and helps push the game to a wider audience when certain review milestones are passed.

Here’s an impressions video from an old-school shooter fan:

So damn good. I’m really impressed with the level geometry these folks were able to squeeze out of Build.

I totally did! Are you on the team, or do you know them?

Cool.
So if you’re already an owner of Bombshell Deluxe Edition on GOG, the prequel is already in your download area. I just picked up the whole Deluxe Edition last week during GOG’s last sale for $4, so I lucked out. Don’t bother looking if you don’t already own it though. It’s back up to $40 now.

Yeah… true that… realllllllllllll badly.

That’s awesome of you, thank you Brian! No, I’m just a member of the Duke community (lol) who knows a few of the 15 person team, and the limited means they had to work with.

Jesus. So many secrets.