iOS Games Thread

There’s a lot of great recommendations here. And I’m definitely going to pick up a few of them, but one thing that I like is games that have a daily challenge of some sort. I find games with a daily event draw me in, I play a few minutes and I go away feeling satisfied. Are there any games you guys have played that you like but have daily challenges?

My list is boring:
7 Little Words
Hexcells ( just got this last week but I love it )
Solitairica
… sadly there’s not much other gaming I do on my iPad. Otherwise I browse or do financial stuff on it.

I’ve eyed hex cells before, but not picked it up for some reason, even though it is very much right up my alley. Just grabbed the bundle.

I personally enjoyed the first Hexcells very much, but was a bit bummed down by a mechanic introduced halfway in both its sequels asking you to “count” cells in an hexagonal pattern. It was a really time-consuming task, and not a stimulating one at all - for my own little grey cells configuration at least.

The only one I can think of I tried recently was Mini Metro. I didn’t give those challenges a try, I must confess, but I was very impressed by the iOS version and its intuitive gameplay.

Temple Run 2. Daily challenges, weekly challenges, and twice-monthly global challenges.

Stop laughing. I have apparently chosen this endless runner to be better at than I am at any game ever.

Seriously. I will kick anyone’s ass at Temple Run 2. Come at me bros.

Baseball Highlights: 2045 is on sale for $1.99 right now. So if it was on your watchlist this might be the time to snag it.

Woohoo! On sale at GooglePlay too

Just read on BGG: he put this on sale to reward those who avoided a pirated version that popped up on the Amazon store, or whatever it is called.

He wrote:

Just got a lawyer last year. Looking forward to using him.

Google and Apple both asked for my credentials before I could sell the game. Amazon didn’t/doesn’t.

I wish there was a game like Crusaders Quest (gacha/collect heroes/cards-ish) that wasn’t so…Eastern/Anime.

Hidden my game by mom 2 [sic, don’t mind the Google translate title…] has been released.
If you don’t know what it is, it’s the sequel to the first game [sic].
It’s err… a “where is waldo” sort of game series, where you play a kid trying to figure where his mother might have hidden his Nintendo DS look-alike. And then…
Most importantly, both of the games are short, free, and got some awesome payoffs (really!). They, of course, should be played in order, doh!

What about Siralim 2?

Hidden my game by mom and some of the other games by the same developer, like Behind You!! seem like dumb time-wasters, but they’re really special. They make me think of games like Candy Box and Frog Fractions, where you’re not playing a game as much as just discovering hidden charming (and sometimes bizarre) little details. I highly recommend them.

Their art is also reminiscent of some of the “classical” Japanese horror graphical novelists, like Umezu Kazuo, which gives them almost an eerie touch - if you don’t play them while listening to the (quite awesome) soundtrack and sound effects.

Dungeon Defense : The Invasion of Heroes

I’ve been playing this on and off during work lulls, and it’s pretty fun. Part TD, a loot system, a skill system for your character and hire-able mercs, castle upgrades, equipment upgrades - there’s a whole bunch of stuff packed into this game, and it’s pretty fun to boot.

When I first got an iPad 2, I was really into iOS games. But just after I foolishly replaced it with an iPad Air 2, I had pretty much relegated it to playing Gems of War, and virtually nothing else. By “foolishly” I don’t mean the Air 2 was bad; it was a necessary upgrade if I was to keep doing much at all with the tablet. But a combination of stuff like adopting a real LMS for my school stuff, negating the need for iPad-based grade book stuff, and my realization that I really didn’t like trying to play serious games on the tablet, which is used mostly as a before bed relaxer, meant that I basically stopped using my iPad. I keep mine because my wife is an avid user, as in, for real work with a keyboard and stuff, and mine is I guess a good back up if her’s goes south.

Honestly, I have little use for a tablet per se, and if I need something like that, my Surface Pro 4 does the trick.

I mainly use my iPad Air 2 to read manga, comics, and my Bible. I also use it to look stuff up I can’t remember when we watch TV. Who is that old star? What else was that actress in?

It also can fill in as a small TV to watch anime on Crunchyroll or Netflix if I feel like it and I am laying in bed. I have a stand to hold it in place that swings out in front of me on my bed to read or watch something.

I am thinking that I do not need to upgrade it to read. I should mention that I read books on my Kindle. I prefer e-Ink when reading ficiton as it is easier on my eyes.

Same here… well sorta… I never upgraded my iPad 2. I still use it. and it does the job for streaming movies and the light game playing (hearthstone, clash of clans, clash royal.) that kinda stuff… I’d love a newer one but similar to what you said wombat no reason to outlay that kinda cash for something that won’t be highly utilized.

When we watch TV, my wife has her iPad out and yeah, we look up stuff like who was that, and where did we see her before, etc. Very cool. And I, too, read my digital books on an old Kindle Paperwhite, which I like better than reading on the iPad, for the same reasons you note.

SteamWorld Heist is on sale for $4.99… seems like the lowest price it’s been offered at.

I stumbled upon this yesterday:

Please look beyond the meme-ish kitty theme, and there is a rhythm game in there which introduces a few unique mechanics (to me, at least):

• it is meant to be played using 2 fingers and the challenge relies on the synchronicity or asymmetry of the inputs;
  • it doesn’t allow failure (instant game over), which might sound harsh but actually fits nicely;
  • and mainly: your tap don’t put slight variations over a theme. Instead, you are actually tapping the whole music, and your rhythm (or your lack thereof) determines what you hear.
    It forced me to strive for perfection to not massacre the music, the grade and scoring feeling secondary to the achievement of proper musicaling!
    Anyway, it’s a musical game where the (simple) music is actually at the center of the game. I really love it. It is pseudo-freemium (really more of a demo, unless you enjoy watching commercials for some reason), and you can purchase infinite tries for 2 bucks.