iOS Games Thread

That’s Looney.

Oh damn, completely missed this post and half of the sales are done. Damn!

Sky: Children of the Light is finally out.

This is the game from thatgamecompany (Flower, Journey) that was originally announced for the Apple TV back in 2017.

No idea if it’s any good. Felt very much like Journey in the 10 minutes I spent with it before work. I’m just sort of surprised it has finally been released.

I messed around with it a bit. Had no clue what I was doing. Controls seem a bit annoying, as the game kept telling me to hold to fly over and over again.

Have a feeling I’m just not going to get into this, much like journey. Flow is still my favorite game by them.

I just gave it a try. It’s not for me. It seems to be an adventure game on rails. It’s pretty and sounds good, just not the type of thing I enjoy.

The new Philipp Stollenmeyer game (he made Bacon and other unusual iOS games) is like a wordless Device 6 and an artsy Black Box. It’s a whole branching set of totally unique aesthetic vignettes in which you have to find the right interaction to access the next vignette.

New version of Zach Gage’s Spelltower is out. Not sure what has changed but it’s fun. Free and have to watch ads unless you pay $5.

Monument Valley 2 is free today(?) on the App Store

Book of Demons (referenced a couple of posts above) is currently on sale for $2.99. It is usually $9.99 and sometimes goes to $4.99 but the current price is lower than I’ve ever seen before.

I can’t link to it from my work computer but just go to iTunes and search for it! It’s called Book of Demons: Tablet Edition

It is good and worth that price.

I have been keeping an eye peeled for sales on Book of Demons, Tropico, and Star Traders: Frontiers. Still monitoring the last two!

I know the game was mentioned before somewhere but Retro Bowl has had some updates that have really made the game better. I’m on season 15 I think, after changing from my original perennial contender to a new squad. Very addictive! Now you have the ability to audible, call timeouts, plus other upgrades. Good stuff.

It’s been out for a month or so and I’ve been having loads of fun with it.

The touch controls take some work to memorise (lots of double-tappin, dragging and two-fingers tapping in different combinations) but it all works smoothly.

It does make my 2018 iPad Pro hot to the touch and drains the battery in about five hours. So there’s that.

$14 plus in-app purchases? What are the in-app purchases?

Edit: Ah, looks like they are free?

Yeah, they’re using in-app purchases to let you manage storage space, so you can load only the maps / scenarios you want (map content totals over 1Gb, and CoH overall takes 5.7Gb on my iPad).

So far the only campaign is the US army campaign, so I presume there’s scope for paid in-app purchases for the other campaigns if this sells well enough.

Final update. That “five hours” was super optimistic. It was more like three and a half.

The good news is that Apple recommends you drain your battery regularly before recharging it.

Looks like Carrier Battles PC release just came out

Slay the Spire has arrived for iOS. Launch price is $9.99.