Is Space Tyrant Good Enough To Deserve It's Own Thread?

I, for one, love the art direction. So there!

^
I’m with him.

Techno Slugs unleashed!

Huzzah!

If you don’t yet own this game (now 25% off), why don’t you, dummy?

A steal at that price.

Great game. A bit hard but all of its gameplay components work together beautifully.

I feel a desperate urge to buy this along with about 4 other games that just went on sale. My wallet may soon be going to DEFCON 5.

Woohoo!

Finally! No one bump this thread until February 27th.

-Tom

I am disgustingly excited about this.

What’s new for release?

Will there be a launch discount or something? I am so tempted to get this like NOW!

me too!

A Hard mode is currently being tuned and tested, and two of the three factions have been released. Both the Hard mode and third faction should be in the 1.0 release. Throughout EA, they’ve released monthly updates to add additional content to existing systems, SFX, polish, etc. The core gameplay hasn’t changed, though, which is a very good thing!

Dunno.

So it’s an arbitrary 1.0, and not yet feature complete?

The release will come with many bug fixes, balance tweaks, art, sounds and all kinds of other stuff we’re still pulling together, but that won’t mean we’re done. We’re also eyeballing a 1.1 update not long after the 2/27 release to drop even more content into the game.

Guess it’s the way of things these days! I may fire it up after 1.1.

Huh. I hadn’t seen that update. But “content” may refer to additional content to mechanics that already exist in the game (like the Events mechanic) as opposed to additional mechanics. Regardless, bring on the free content whether it’s in v1.0 or v1.1!

I only put 3 hours into it before getting side tracked with Railroad Empire, no pun intended. :) Will have to come back to it after launch.

Here’s a great Q&A with one of the devs that was posted yesterday:

https://explorminate.net/2018/02/05/space-tyrant-qa/#comments

Some highlights for me:

What about the setting? Could you quickly summarize the storyline or tell us about some big picture details?

It’s fairly straightforward – you’re a big asshole Space Tyrant, taking over the galaxy.

Can you describe the basics of diplomacy in your game?

Diplomacy doesn’t really exist in Space Tyrant. Fleets are destroyed, planets are bombed, masses are oppressed. Anything else would be cumbersome and not very Tyrant-y. You might have the option to be diplomatic about something in an Explore, but it’s not the traditional 4X diplomacy you’d imagine and it’s probably not the best option for a progressive, forward thinking Tyrant.

What does your game have/do that no other similar game currently on the market can provide?

We’re fairly confident this is the only 4X game on the market where you can get through a game in under an hour. A “beer and pretzels 4X that you can play on your lunch break” if you will. It’s built by 4X fans who’ve played games in the genre for decades and know exactly what fat to trim away and what’s needed to keep it tasty.

What do you hope to accomplish with your game?

We hope people can get deep enough into it to enjoy the hidden complexities. It may seem simple at first, but if you stick with it, you’ll find yourself making one sly move after another to beat seemingly impossible missions by the skin of your teeth.

Before closing, is there anything else you’d like to tell the fans about your game or your company that we haven’t mentioned yet?

As with many roguelikes (which this game is in-part), Space Tyrant will not go easy on you. We all grew up with games that gave very few free handouts and usually crushed you to death in the end. Space Tyrant isn’t entirely that brutal, but we wanted to make a game that could elicit true excitement upon winning. The only way to achieve that is to make it difficult to win. You can sometimes bash your way through the earlier missions, but to be successful throughout, you’ll need to master all the knobs and levers at your command and know just when to use them. Buckle up Tyrants – victory goes to the merciless!

I asked on the Steam forums about the EA version and this is what I got as a reply:

“Admittedly, the current version is one we put up before the holidays in December, so it’s a little buggy and unpolished looking compared to what we have now, but it’s mostly all there.”

So I’ll wait it out so that I don’t “spoil” the launch experience =).