Is Space Tyrant Good Enough To Deserve It's Own Thread?

Cool, it’s only 3 weeks. Plenty of other stuff to play until then! :)

This looks promising. I’m looking forward to your impressions!

On my Steam wish list, but still waiting for the green light.

It’s certainly got the green light from me. I’ve enjoyed my time with it immensely, and the devs are great people.

Icould not wait and gave in and bought into the Early Access. And is hooked so far.

After 40+ hours of game time. I finally got a first win…

And it happened when Space Hamsters and Space Slugs blocked the choke points to my sector! Allowing me to build up instead of getting rolled over by the much superior enemy!

I think they have to tone down the difficulty of the final battle to give anyone a chance at beating the game. I used all the tricks I could find and barely scraped the win!

Congratulations!

If we manage to defang @wumpus, we can get 150 credits!

I just watched Tom’s live stream of this on Youtube and now I really can’t wait to get it. I’m hoping they have some kind of launch discount so I’m going to try and hold out for that.

The game is quite fun but there is a grind element that I think will piss off a majority of gamers.

Unlike FTL or Plant vs Zombies, where you are given the tools to beat the game, Space Tyrant is set up so that you’re almost guranteed to fail in the first few campaigns.

The ships and cards needed to beat the boss is kept behind unlockables, meaning that you’ll need to do at least a few campaigns to get the higher tier ships needed. I’m not a big fan of that.

With each map needing about 20-30 mins of play time and with about 10-12 maps before facing the boss, we are talking about throwing hours of progress in a doomed effort at beating the boss.

I predict a lot of complaints in this design. This was mentioned in the forums, but was explained/brushed off as a key design decision. I am afraid that it’s a decision that will cost them.

It’s one thing to be rogue-like, it’s another to design it so that failure is guaranteed.

Edit: They do make the grind less painful though, the game is very polished and smooth. Personally, I treat games like these as major puzzles and love understanding the mechanics so that I can use them to beat the game as the designers intended. So it’s a game that makes me enjoy the treadmill grind =).

That actually sounds pretty darn similar to Monster Slayers, which is very popular. I don’t mind that kind of grind as long as I still have stuff to unlock to shoot for.

Yes I think that’s exactly right.

Although the much shorter campaigns in Monsters Slayers works much better.

The setup in Space Tyrant is so that each map is equivalent to a run of Monster Slayers. And each boss run will take about 10 maps to reach. So it’s like 10 times worse.

The thing about Monster Slayers was that it didn’t take long at all to unlock everything and then I kind of lost interest in it. It sounds like at least it would take a lot longer to unlock everything for this game. I guess I won’t know if I’ll get frustrated with the pace of it or not until I try it.

My guess is that you’ll not mind the grind :)

There will be a 20% off launch discount, slightly less than during the last Winter sale.

Managed to beat all 3 campaigns. Took about 70 hours according to Steam.

The grind was not required to beat the game as I had initially thought. Only my first race required the top tier unlock to beat.

To my surprise, I managed to beat the 2nd race in 1 attempt and the 3rd in 2 attempts. So it is not required for players to have top tier warships (unlockables) to beat the bosses, using the correct strategies and focusing on the strengths of what you have can carry you all the way to victory.

I think they did a great job there. So with this done, I’m ready for Into the Breach on the 27th =).

Edit: There are some small bugs, like Steam Achievements not working correctly and some cards not having the correct effects. But the EA version is extremely playable and polished. It should have a great launch.

Congrats. I got my ass whooped, and happily so. This game does not fuck around.

Mr. Rubin, I guess you’ll be planning a launch review? Your fans deserve/demand it! :)

Already recorded and going up next week to coincide with the launch.

I envy you… having launch access before us plebs and all… :)