Is Space Tyrant Good Enough To Deserve It's Own Thread?

It’s not always the case, but I was lucky in this case it was, as this past weekend I had the time to record a ton of video. This coming weekend, it’s won’t be the case.

This is out now. Does it have multi-player? If so, does it have co-op? I know the latter is unlikely due to the theme of the game.

It’s SP only.

Thank god.

We considered multiplayer for a bit, but it would have totally screwed our ambition to make the only 4x strategy game that DOESN’T offer 400 hours of gameplay.

People often act like adding MP to an SP game is no big deal, but depending the type of game, adding good MP to an SP game without ruining the SP is actually a pretty huge development task. Balance is different, pacing is different, all kinds of mechanics are different. Not every game is a good fit for both SP and MP. If it works, great, but don’t force it IMO.

But whinging about adding mp is pretty easy. It really takes very little of my time and energy.

Beautifully said.

And I’m glad you chose this way. Space Tyrant is one of the few recent 4X games that I’d call “innovative”. And not just because of the extra X.

But mostly because of the extra X.

I love the writing of the bullet points on the store page: “No cultural victories!”, “eXsanguinate!”

I was proud of “Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their uncertainly-gendered slug-rabbitoid broodmates.”

If you wrote the steam page / announcements then well done, it oozes personality.

By the way, is this game a spiritual sequel to:

?

Not officially, but we felt a spiritual kinship.

Finally picked this up. Unfortunately, it crashed on the second combat screen of the first tutorial with a Direct3D 11 error. I was hoping I could switch to Direct3D 9 to see if that fixed it but I don’t see a config file anywhere.

The only other game this has ever happened to me with is For the King, which is also a Unity game so it may be a Unity issue of some kind. I played around with drivers some and got through the first tutorial so we’ll see if random crashes continue.

I wonder if @Jkapalka and company are planning on upgrading the game to Unity 2018.1? Unity has long been a dog for graphics performance and the next version is supposed to be heavily focused on fixing that.

The Unity 2018 release cycle will have a heavy focus on graphics! There are a number of features that will be released during 2018 that will drastically enhance Unity’s rendering capabilities.

Unity 2018 hasn’t been formally released yet afaik. It’s still in beta.

Second, I’m guessing you’ve played a lot of Unity games without issue, there are a ton of games that use that engine now. The ones that advertise it in the beginning just aren’t paying the extra bucks to get the license to change the splash screen.

Yeah, I know it’s not out yet but I’ll bet a lot of developers are already trying to decide if they’re going to update their games to it or not. It’s a real pain to do unless the gains are substantial. I’m not sure yet if that’s the case with this upcoming version but it sounds like it might be.

And yeah, I absolutely do have a ton of Unity games.

This game isn’t really dying for a big performance boost though so I’m not sure how essential they would consider such an upgrade.

I mean, sure - it’s baffling to me how it runs so poorly with so little happening on screen, but it still runs ~ 90fps regardless.

It runs poorly? Before I bought it looked over discussions and don’t remember any complaints. Haven’t played much, but I didn’t notice any issues.

Well it’s relative… 90fps is fine but it should be able to run over 144, that’s all I meant. It doesn’t need an engine upgrade. :)