Is there a USPS Post Office dismantling thread?

When I wanted to apply years ago there was a waiting list. Or hiring was only done every few years. Or something. I missed the cutoff date, anyway.

USPS jobs were highly sought for… basically my entire lifetime.

There was always a waiting list and a battery of tests and odds are you weren’t getting the job even then.

I ended up being forced into one, and then put into a position where they didn’t want and tried to force me to quit for 89 days.

I had an office job just out of college, it ended. Due to union regs, we had to apply for another job via testing- I passed the test- for a letter carrier. So they sent me to the inner city with an impossible task.

I toughed it out long enough to get my unemployment.

That battery of tests is embarrassingly easy. I did a couple of remote tours in the military to work in a post office and had to go to a postal school for a 6 week class that was based on USPS training. The tests were literally adding postage and counting stamps.

Of course there were still people who failed it.

The senate just confirmed the first of Biden’s nominees to the board of governors of the USPS.

They’ve just adjourned after debating his second nominee. Her confirmation vote is tomorrow.

If she’s confirmed, Louis DeJoy should probably see the writing on the wall.

Someone should have a talk with his daddy.

I somehow signed up for something called “Informed Delivery” when trying to arrange a package pick up from my local USPS. Now everyday I get an email telling me what mail and packages I am getting that day. Not just telling me, but they are actually scanning it and sending me the pictures. Not the catalogs, but the letters, like credit card offers.

It is kind of cool, especially if I ever get something I care about via USPS, but this seems to be a huge waste of resources for USPS. It’s a free service as far as I can tell, I am not on some trial period.

Oh yeah, that’s great. Love that service.

I love Informed Delivery. I live on a private road so my mailbox is a bit of a hike to get the mail, since the box is on the main road. Normally I grab the mail when I’m coming home from somewhere - stop the car by the mailboxes before pulling onto the road. But since we’re going out significantly less, it’s a godsend to know when anything important (including packages) is arriving.

I doubt it’s using extra resources…I suspect they’re already scanning all those mail items anyway, and everything is automated. Obviously there were upfront costs and work involved getting it going initially, but I doubt there’s a ton of extra resources being used on it day to day.

Informed Delivery is a great service for expats who are still maintaining a US residence.

Enjoy the slower mail everyone!

Fuuuuuuuck

No surprise, it’s the goal of Republican administrations and their appointees. It’s much easier to cut taxes for themselves and the donor class when they can prove that government services don’t work well and should be defunded.

I’ve had a few companies warn me of possible late bills and late payments due to this. I think everyone wants you to go paperless now, which will hurt the postal service even more.

If they allowed us to have something akin to a do not call list, for garbage ads sent in the mail, I bet that would streamline things.

99% of the actual paper mail I get is trash, and I only pick it up so it doesn’t fill up my mailbox completely.

I hate mail.

The USPS makes a good deal of money delivering those ads to you though, I bet.

They do, but I think I’d rather pay taxes to fund delivery of non trash, or raise the cost of postage.

The amount of garbage that gets mailed every day, only to go into the trash without even being read, is insane.

So the junk mail is nearly half of all mail delivered, and they get a 65% discount on the postage fee. I’m actually wondering if the real mail isn’t subsidizing them.