It’s the 20:20 movie frame game of 2018!

Looks quirky and Scandinavian and I’m pretty sure it aired on TV over here not too long ago. Can’t recall the name for the life of me though.

The guy at the table with the guy with the mask looks like Timothy Spall, but it isn’t him. It is a pub. Somewhere in Northern Europe. Or Boston. Or Chicago.

The set decoration gives me a 2010+ kind of vibe based on the pieces used, though I don’t know if that is supposed to be the timeline setting for the movie. That’s more of a European style beer tap, however.

Like this one:

I’m with you. I think it’s the British Isles.

I’m going to go with You, the Living (2007) by Swedish auteur Roy Andersson. I love his static shot style and how he fills the vignettes with detail and depth. He’s a master at creating an unsettling atmosphere.

That shot is pretty telling of his style, then. It’s both warm and cool, patterned and plain, bright but shadowed, and the color palate is very subdued. Note that the characters, while in mostly drab clothing, pop out against that whole scene.

I’d like to see the rest of that movie.

It is not You, The Living.

Is it Songs from the Second Floor?

One guess per frame…but no.

Is it A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence?

:)

EDIT: Sometimes it pays to be the last guy who shows hsself in a gunfight.

Oh, crap! Sorry, I didn’t know about that rule. I’ll wait for the 40:40 and see if there’s anything that jogs my memory.

Boom, last-second reversal!

Roy Andersson is…something. I’m not sure “iconoclast” quite covers it. One of the most ridiculous films that was somehow simultaneously extremely moving. Recommended.

Your move, @Navaronegun.

Back to glorious Black and White for the new 20:20.

Some of those stills shots look like paintings, no joke. Now I want to see it.

I’ve cued it up on my watchlist. The briefcase already had me intrigued. Now that it looks to be maybe a Macguffin of sorts…sold.

Yeah, see it. It’s on Netflix, and his previous film You, The Living is on Amazon Prime, if you have it. They’re both worth the time.

The Philadelphia Story?

Incorrecukor!

The Shop Around the Corner (1940)?

That’s definitely Jimmy Stewart’s head towering over everyone else, but I was born after they put color into the world, so know very few of the films that captured the colorless era. It’s a Wonderful Life?