It’s the 20:20 movie frame game of 2018!

So Jason Isaacs does come from a showbiz family!

Let’s see, in the 40:40, a woman’s shoelace comes untied in front of Versailles. Is it Jules and Jim?

-Tom

Versailles. Honestly. It’s that Shawshank place in Germany or Austria or something.

-xtien

It’s not Jules and Jim.

Duh, that is Last Year At Marienbad!

What the fuck is that! I’ve never even heard of that!

-xtien

It’s a beautifully shot but ultimately pretty baffling French new wave film directed by Alain Resnais. It’s about a woman who meets up with a man, apparently a stranger, who claims they had made a date a year ago to meet the following year and I dunno…hook up or something? But the woman claims to have no memory of this arrangement.

It’s full of really odd creative choices, and I confess I had a hard time making heads or tails of it. I really loved Hiroshima Mon Amour though. See that instead, unless you just want to watch the pretty pictures.

Okay. I’d rather do that instead.

Also…I have to admit I thought the dude in the first frame was Julian Sands in some weird retro B&W movie that I’d never seen.

-xtien

I knew I could rely on @charmtrap, well done!

80:80

Hiroshima mon Amour is definitely the one to watch, while Marienbad is the kind of 60’s expirement you appreciate for being so adventurous with the form.

This is gonna end up with me rewatching Marienbad, I guess. A bunch of people I respect think it’s a masterpiece, including Ebert. Maybe I was just in a bad mood when I saw it.

Anyway, let’s stick with b&w movies just to make Tom smile. New 20:

I see sand looking walls and maybe Sydney Greenstreet so Casablanca?

Not Casablanca.

I didn’t realize Dean Stockwell was so old!

40:40

Probably wrong. Probably not even the right aspect ratio. But for some reason I’ll guess The Killing.

It is not The Killing.

Oh, I know this one! It’s that movie A Lady Pretends She’s Happy About Having Just Come Into The Room Although She’s Clearly Faking It.

-Tom

SInce I’m stuck on Sydney Greenstreet, even though that is clearly not Barbara Stanwyck, I will go for ‘Christmas in Connecticut’.

I’ll admit I’d never even heard of Christmas in Connecticut.

Arnold Schwarzenegger remade it for his directorial debut!

(And, as an aside, I scratched spending a Christmas in Connecticut off my bucket list a while ago).