It’s the 20:20 Movie Frame Game of 2020!

Les Diaboliques?

It is indeed Les Diaboliques. Well done @Courteous_D!

This great French horror movie by Clouzot was made in 1955, just two years after Le Salaire de la Peur (The Wages of Fear). It is a (rather loose I think) adaptation of a book by Boileau-Narcejac. Hitchcock also wanted to adapt it, but Clouzot managed to secure the rights first.

It stars Vera Clouzot, Simone Signoret and Paul Meurisse. Vera Clouzot, the director’s wife, also appears in Le Salaire de la Peur. She only did three movies, all directed by her husband, and is also credited as a writer for La Vérité, although I don’t know the extent of her participation. Simone Signoret and Paul Meurisse are both fantastic actors. They would play together again in Melville’s L’Armée des Ombres (Army of Shadows), 14 years after this movie. Paul Meurisse is also great in Le Second Souffle, also directed by Melville. I highly recommend both movies.

Les Diaboliques is available in the Criterion collection.

40:40

60:60

80:80

100:100

Nice write up, @Buckaroo!

Thanks @Skipper! As much as possible, I will try from now on to give some info on the movie I pick, like I just did and like others do, even though I’m pretty sure I’m not bringing anything new for most of the guys here. But I guess the purpose of this game is also to present some movies and make people want to see them!

We sometimes do and sometimes don’t do write ups. Sometimes when the game is going pretty quickly, it’s just a post of the remaining screens and moving on, etc. It’s entirely up to you.

I appreciated the back story though, also the disclosure on where it was streaming.

Right on! I watched it decades ago, but Simone Signoret has a way of lodging in the memory. Deeply creepy movie, and some iconic scenes.

This one will take forever or no time at all:

20:20

Blow-Up?

Yes, it is Blow up for sure.

It is Blow-Up.

A Very Special meta-referential 60:60, in which the camera is panning between two blow-ups of individual frames:

Bonus link to the scene which prompted me to watch it in the first place, featuring the Yardbirds performing “Train Kept A-Rollin’” for an impossibly bored nightclub audience. Jeff Beck becomes unhappy with his guitar. Jimmy Page and Keith Relf keep calm and carry on.

You’re up, @Jason_Levine!

I can’t imagine seeing the Yardbirds perform live and being bored.

Here’s your new 20:

The African Queen?

Nothing glides by @Navaronegun!

60:60

Proceed with the execution, @Navaronegun!

This Twenty has believers.

THX 1138

Gotta be. That’s a really young Robert Duvall.

Warning: Clip May Be NSFW

A young Director released his first feature film in 1971, which expanded upon his 1967 UCLA student film project, Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB. He capitlaized upon his relationship with other young up-and-coming directors and writers from the UCLA mafia who were making noise in the emerging New Hollywood scence, and the film was released as a joint venture between Warner Bros. and American Zoetrope (Francis Ford Coppola).

With a young Robert Duvall playing a rebelling citizen of a future dystopian nightmare, the film showed great cinematographic promise for the young director. The film explored society’s obsession with sex and violence, conformity, and the alienation and isolation of the individual. It is one of the better if not the best examples of the dystopian Science Fiction genre which abounded in the 1970s, and its look and special effects stand up even today.

The director went on to do other genre work (American Graffiti) before returning to the Science fiction genre again. Sadly, after that return, he wouldn’t direct many more films of this caliber as he decided to become a toy merchandiser.

Oh, and Fuck Star Wars!

The Forty:

The Sixty:

The Eighty:

“Thou art a subject of the divine, created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses, @Woolen_Horde.”

20:20

Free Enterprise.

Van Wilder?

Kicking and Screaming?