It's HONEY time again!

Brad do you do anything with the wax from the hives? I remember when I was a kid we had a bee keeper come to my elementary school and we all made bees wax candles. :)

Mmm, honey for the holidays!

Well I just might grow me some bees
But I’d leave the sweet stuff
To somebody else . . . but then, on the other hand I would

Keep the wax
'N melt it down
Pluck some Floss
‘N swish it aroun’

I’d have me a crop
An’ it’d be on top (that’s why I’m movin’ to Montana)

Movin’ to Montana soon
Gonna be a Dental Floss tycoon (yes I am)

[Montana by Frank Zappa](Montana by Frank Zappa)

Brad: Still curious to hear how the hives are doing. The last thing I remember you mentioning about them was a year or two ago when some ruffians smashed them up for no apparent reason :( Just wondering how you recover from that, how it worked out, etc. Keeping bees is one of those things I know I’ll never have the time/money/land to get into, but it’s interesting to hear about your experiences with it.

I remember hearing recently that 2015 was a really good year for the bee population. Did they ever really figure out what was killing them all off in recent years? Did they figure out what was causing it and fix the situation, or is this just some weird natural cycle we don’t understand yet?

Plz to be posting pics and/or bee keeper anecdotes. :P

Brad,

I got the honey, thanks so much! Once it warms up a little I’ll give it a try!

-Scott

We got ours today too and it was half gone by the time I got home from work. Damn kids. And wives.

That’s the spirit!

I’ve gotten plenty of honey from the Wardell bee farms over the years! I saw this thread (finally) and wanted to pop in and say thanks for being so generous. Your gifts were much appreciated and I’m super pleased you still send more out. If you’re ever in the Seattle area, ping me for some fresh eggs!

I got mine as well, was good with tea this morning. Thanks!

Mine also arrived last night. Had some with toast this morning, a damn fine vintage of processed bee byproduct. Thanks again Brad!

Ah man, was holding out hope I won a random jar but will keep an eye out again for next year!

Every year I think I need to get brad to send me some honey. Every year I check and I missed it by a few weeks.

So because of my remaining military obligation, I got sent on a little deployment to offer my wonderful services to other individuals…and I got back to a butt-ton of mail.

Among that mail was HONEY HEAVEN!

Thank you so very much, Brad, and I loved the little container and how you packaged it. Totally made my month!

So my morning tea has been a bit sweeter due to the honey.

One interesting thing that I’ve never noticed before, sugar crystals can precipitate out of honey. As I have been using it a layer of opaque white has been gathering on the bottom of the bottle. Turns out it is sugar that settled out. I’ve never seen that before! So not only is Brad’s honey good, it is also picked at the peak of freshness.

I’ve been rationing it out, but am nearly at an end. Brad, thank you, it’s been quite delightful to add home made honey to my tea. Now can you get Soren to finish OTC, I’m eager for 1.0 ;)

Please count me in for next year! I don’t wander past the Games forum too often =)

@Brad_Wardell not sure if you’re still around here or not, but I came across this article on a possible option to deal with CCD and wondered if you were aware of it. Is so, did you try it out. The research looks impressive and the results appear amazing.

It has been a while, like 3 years. I wonder if brad is gone or if he is no longer doing bee stuff.

He left a while ago.

I never did get any damn honey.

I think he is franchising: