It's Like a Flamewar With a Forum Troll, but With an Eventual Winner

Nerds love amusing underdogs. Especially nerds with disposable income.

It’s like paying to see the geek version of political comedy in real life.

You know, you could just order an advance ticket to that Kevin Costner thing that’s coming out where he picks the next President with the help of his preternaturally wise and telegenic daughter.

I mean, it’s awful clever of this Sean Tevis fellow to appeal to us xvcd nerds, but we’re not his constituents and we’re not the ones who are going to elect him. I’m pretty sure he knows that, so I can’t help but feel he’s just using us to get money and attention. If he wants to represent the people of Kansas’ 15th District, he should probably appeal to them instead of us.

Seems Tevis was too busy goofing around on the web to get the memo that all politics are local. :)

-Tom

I dunno Tom. I see where you are coming from. But I think what we’re starting to see is a new era, where politics isn’t limited to those who already drive $100k cars and live in million dollar houses.

I mean, in the end, is this much different from the lawyer who has 29k just sitting in the bank? Seems to me that at first, the only thing that separates them is their jobs. So who cares if he gets his money from the internet?

It’s what comes next that really counts. But who knows? Maybe 8$ buys a little bit of honesty. In the end, it’s only eight bucks.

Either way, I have a feeling that in fifty years, we’ll look back on this kind of thing as the roots of new politics.

I love me a good Mr. Smith Goes to Washington story, and I’m all for subverting the system. But I’ll bet you dollars to donuts this isn’t going to be the guy to do it. I don’t know the first thing about Kansas’ 15th District (I’m probably not even remember the number correctly), but some web-savvy administrator who’s had his city job for three years and is now hitting up the Digg crowd for money isn’t going to be able to mount or sustain a campaign against an incumbent, especially if he can’t even get enough local support to file his campaign.

I would love to be wrong on this, though, so hopefully you guys will be able to quote my post in a few months and laugh at me and note that your money was well spent. :)

-Tom

It’s the validation of our own bruised sense of belonging, participation, and importance.

We long for the day where we are the gears that keeps the merry-go-round turning, rather than being the horses with a pole shoved right through us.

Yeah, I completely see where you are coming from. But how local are politics really? I can’t remember the last time I actually met a politician. When was the last time you met one? I don’t think anyone from my family has ever met a politician. How about you?

They are elusive. Like ninja.

Granted, he probably won’t get elected. But I like the idea that a system like this can help people out with the main barrier of entry: money. Hell, I used to consider running for politics, but it’s something simply out of my range, with my job.

Actually, in Olathe Kansas (basically a suburb of KC across Stateline), he stands a chance thanks to some changing demographics there.

Oh, he’s also a Democrat, not an Independent. Sending him twenty buck for me was a no-brainer; I donate to fellow Jackasses, and if this guy is savvy enough to run a fundraising gimmick like this, perhaps he’s savvy and smart and telegenic enough to go further in Kansas politics. The Dems need all the help they can get there.

Asking them is one thing. Reimbursing them is another. It makes the government get all pissy.

I’m not sure he’s flip-flopping, but let’s maybe say he’s a little too into the whole Internet thing.

It’s great to listen to your constituents, except a) most of these people aren’t his constituents, and b) one hopes you have a bit more to offer than an ability to surf the web.

Doh, I didn’t realize he was a Democrat. I clicked around on his site, but didn’t see a party affiliation. Where did you guys see that? Was it right under my nose? Okay, so at least he’s got that going for him.

Also, Charles, “all politics is local” isn’t literal. I was mangling a saying we have here in America that might not apply to you guys in Canada. Aren’t y’all still a part of the UK or something anyway? You should get more liberty bells and declare independence already. Sheesh.

-Tom

Even with Governor Sibelius, it still ain’t that hip to be a Democrat in Johnson County, Kansas, so his party affiliation is nowhere to be seen.

Click the “press release” tab, and you see that he is a Dem, and was inspired to run after participating in the presidential caucuses as a precinct captain for Obama.

Other than the fact that Olathe, KS isn’t rural, I guess not. It was in Money Magazine’s 100 top cities to live in in the United States. It is one of the fastest growing cities in the United States.

I realize that the obvious response is “any part of Kansas is rural Kansas”, but that’s just not true.

Edit: Olathe is plugged in, dogg. I went to high school with Killcreek! :(

That’s the best idea for a political party post Internet I’ve ever heard.

Thanks Jack, Beers on me!

I’m sorry, if I haven’t heard of it, it’s rural.

-Tom, live from Los Angeles

What do Hollywood people know about real politics anyway?

In that case I will not reimburse anyone.
I will buy a beer for any of you Democrats (or crazy people even further to the left) if we ever meet. The damn dirty republicans (except recovered Republicans like Lum) can bloody well buy there own beer.