It's that time of the year again...

I’ve used apple leather cases for 5 years now, they work great. They get a fantastic gorgeous leather patina after a year or so, if you get the light-colored tan one. Which I don’t, I always go midnight blue. Its “patina” is it basically turns black after a year.

The iPhone camera is covered with sapphire crystal, ain’t nothing scratching that. The bottom edge is indeed exposed, but that’s all metal anyway.

Wow, your watch has a camera on the back? Don’t you have to remove the watch in order to use it?

I’m eyeing the Saddle Brown one to match my wallet… I’m hoping brown age well and does not get too “black” and dirty.

My watch is not used to take beautiful photos.

I can’t remember where, but some podcast I was listening to was talking about how great the brown leather case gets with age. I can’t say myself, I also have always used Midnight Blue, until this year when I got a dark green one. They do get nicer as they age though. They have a completely different feel after a few months,

Anyone else using Shortcuts? I am enjoying them, but I am just not good enough with them to do what I really want. I do use them for a bunch of simple things I do regularly though. Like at work using headphones I usually what quiet music and I use a particular playlist. So I have one that first changes the volume to a set level and then starts a playlist. Most of the ones I see posted are frivolous stuff like that. Useless for most people, but fits my use.

Version 2.1, has better HomePod/AirPlay support, so I am looking forward to that.

I use a shortcut to send a command via SSH to my Raspberry Pi to temporarily disable Pi-hole. I also have one that shows me the price history while browsing the Amazon app (pulls chart from camelcamelcamel).

Apple has had to restart iPhone X production because they were contractually obliged to purchase a certain number of OLED screens from Samsung, but iPhone XS and iPhone XR orders are a lot lower than expected. The iPhone X is cheaper to produce, so Appe is going to churn those out to fulfill their contract.

I am not sure if X is cheaper to produce. I think they don’t want to lower Xs prices. Producing more X will allow Apple to fulfill the obligation to Samsung and yet have a “cheaper” OLED phone, albeit last year model, available for other markets around the world. I have friends who are buying X for the past few months due to local telco giving better subsidies and prices as compared to the Xs.

Speaking of price cuts
https://www.wsj.com/articles/not-so-big-in-japan-apple-cuts-price-of-iphone-xr-to-boost-sales-1542896625

So I picked up a 12.9 inch iPad Pro LTE after selling my Macbook. I must say I am very impressed with the device and use it in exactly the same way that I used the Macbook plus I use it as a tablet to consume content. My relatively “old” 10.5 inch is now relegated to meetings where I do not want to carry a big device.

Once the keyboard is back in stock I will use this as my meeting computer to take notes, etc. It feels like Apple reduced the weight of the 12.9 and somehow made it easier to hold. I am sure this can be proven by looking up the actual weights to compare, but it is much more comfortable to hold.

I got the iPad 11" myself, moving my iPad Pro 9.7" to the bathroom and my iPad Air 2 to my aunt.

Man, it’s so nice. Smaller bezels make me happy, and that 120Hz refresh rate is just delightful. You can read text while scrolling it, it isn’t blurry at all. Very pleasant to use, if just ridiculously overpriced. But what the heck, I’m worth it!

The Apple non-keyboard case is now insanely expensive-- eighty bucks. I picked up an identical case on Amazon for fifteen dollars. It works perfectly, all the magnets align, etc.

The 11" iPad is slightly larger than before while the 12.9" 2018 model is actually quite a lot smaller than the old 12.9". The new 12.9" looks and feels markedly less silly than the old one.

I actually started with the 11-inch but decided it was too small for what I wanted it for - essentially a Surface Pro like device that I can take notes with and use with a keyboard in Macbook fashion. If I did not already have the 10.5 inch I probably would still own the 11 inch.

For just taking notes, I imagine the 11" would be fine. I expect you’re trying to use it like a real computer.

On a side note, I really miss the iPad front cover, the one that attaches magnetically to the side and doesn’t cover the back. That is no longer possible on the 2018 models, and the current cases add quite a bit more thickness and weight for no real appreciable reason. The back is metal, it doesn’t need to be protected. Oh well, I leave the case off except when I’m traveling anyway.

Which one? I just picked up the 11" as well and was thinking about getting a case.

My wife cracked my Air 2 and I couldn’t stand to look at it so it’s nice to have a working iPad again. She says the cracks don’t bother her which is good because it costs $300 to fix and you can buy em cheaper used than that.

This guy right here. When you have the case open, the magnets hold the flap on the rear too, which is a key feature many cheap cases historically messed up.

Thanks, does that protect the edges of the ipad, ie where the glass meets the edge? I looked through the photos but couldn’t really tell - that case for other models of the ipad looks like it does but the one for the 11" doesn’t look like it.

That’s mostly why I want a case, to help protect against edge drops. I have cracked more than a few iOS devices and it’s always from a drop and it falling on it’s side/corner and causing a crack that spreads out from there.

No, the way Apple’s and apple clone cases work on the 2018 ipads pro is that they stick to the rear of the tablet via magnets so they don’t need to cover the sides to stay attached.

If you want to cover the sides I’m sure they do sell cases that do that on amazon, I just can’t vouch for one myself.

If their 11" case from last year is any indication, this will be the best full-coverage case that still manages to be thin. light, and supremely usable:

It’s not out yet but is coming soon.

Will just wait for more cases I guess.

Can you not split the keyboard on the 11”? It’s driving me nuts. A deciding factor on the smaller size was because I thought you could split it.

Frankly I find the unsplit keyboard almost unusable.