It's that time of the year again...

I’ve turned on the always on display on my Samsung Gear Sport. It means I only get a day and a half rather than three days but I love being able to glance down at my wrist without having to actually raise my wrist. I’m sure there are always on displays that take advantage of the OLED screen. My current watchface, not so much.

Eh, seems like a good set of releases to me - two new form factors, a new 120hz HDR display, larger camera sensors with improved image processing, better speakers with stereo sound. Those are all meaningful to me, not to mention things that are likely meaningful to other people like improved IP waterproof, longer batter life, faster processor, etc. The watch improvements are significant because it is now a whole new class of device (medical).

So I think its cool!

You can do that in iOS 12 on a device that doesn’t support 3D Touch. You tap and hold the space bar which puts you in trackpad mode.

Also, iOS will let you perform a long-press (I believe Apple called this “haptic touch” during the event) to mimic most of what you can do with 3D Touch. The two missing features will be home screen quick actions and peek and pop. You’ll still be able to, for example, long press the notification screen to clear all notifications.

Personally I’m very interested in the XR, and I like the colors.

Just did the pre-upgrade thing for a Xs Max, Space Gray, 256gb. Will have to pay about $4 more a month from my X. Just have to log in at midnight on Friday to complete it.

Can’t say I am exited about it, but since I am on this plan, I might as well get a new phone. Much more exited about the watch. Playing with the idea of the SS, but really doesn’t seem worth the money.

Someone asked this elsewhere and now I’m curious, too. If the new Apple Watch has been cleared by the FDA to be used as a medical device, can you purchase one with an FSA/HSA?

This will likely be the first iPhone generation I will skip. I’ve had every single iPhone, including the 5c, but I just don’t see a reason to spend >$1000 for a 10s.

Is this what being an adult is like? I don’t like it.

Yea I was wondering the same thing.

You’ve had every single one, both the regular, and the S model, or do you mean the X (and XS) is the first one you’re skipping? If the former, I’m amazed you upgrade every year. I personally do the every other year or so type of iPhone purchasing.

Yes, I’ve upgraded every year.

I’m battling this too. I have the original launch watch that is well beyond it’s years now, so I definitely want to upgrade this cycle. I love my SS watch because I can dress it up or down with bands but now it’s damn near double the price to leap from gps only aluminum to SS (I have no use for cellular because I’m a lazy shit)

It’s not 120 hz true motion like the iPad, it’s just for touch sensors. I’m not sure 120 oleds are even in Mass production it’s one thing LCD is better at.

People love to let you know they hate Apple on the internet. But in this case I think the stupid thread title has a lot to do with it. I was hoping @Enidigm would change it, but apparently that isn’t going to happen.

Apple finally pissed me off with this announce.

I’ve always traded up to the “default” phone every other year through my carrier. I’m on a 7 now, and was assuming I’d get whatever default they announced this year. I suspected it’d be X style, so I’d lose fingerprint reader and physical button, so I was mostly okay with that.

But they’ve made it so the XR is the default, not the XS, despite moving their entire line over to the X format. The XR, as far as I can tell, is the “SE” version of the X. So instead of getting their default, flagship, I assume my trade up will be to the cheaper version.

That pisses me off. Admittedly, a part of that is that I use 3D Touch a lot. Ugh.

Uh, you don’t make sense to me. Apple has had a flagship and a lower cost phone for a few years now. In fact, to me the XR looks better comparatively than how the 8 looked vs the 10 last year.

Yeah, I didn’t realize until this morning that the XR does not have 3D Touch. It seems like a weird omission, especially since that’s been around for three years now (introduced on the 6S)! I have no idea why they would remove it.

But other than that and the screen, the XR is identical to the XS. That surprised me.

Edit: Wait, WHO made it so the XR is the “default”?? Your carrier, or Apple? Because Apple clearly announced the XS and XS Max, and then the XR at the end as an addendum. The XS is clearly the new default phone.

He also wrote “I assume” so I think he’s maybe assuming the worst case scenario. It would be annoying for sure, but it may not be how it actually shakes out.

That is a catchy advertisement Apple is running on YouTube. Like the percussive music.

Yeah - it’s an assumption based primarily on the price. They’ve retained the higher pricing tier for the XS, and moved the XR into the price slot previously reserved for what I would call the “default” phone. Given how carriers operate, I’m assuming (perhaps poorly on my part) that they will target the XR as the “upgrade” phone for 7 and 8 users.

Maybe they’ll surprise me.

That’s the real genius of this announcement. Last year they released a premium model and a base model. Then this year they release a base model at last years premium price and a budget model at the base price. They effectively raised the iPhone barrier of entry price by 250 and no one is really calling the move out. The business strategist in me can’t help but applaud them.

Yeah, remember, the original price of the first iPhone was $599 and people howled with rage so hard they had to cut the price a month later.