It's time for a Paramount+ thread

Interesting. I’m wondering if I should do the same? After I got it working that first time, I had to go on Firefox to the Sportsline website and hit the button for the offer and sign in. It didn’t work on my phone on Chrome, only on my desktop on Firefox. But unfortunately, I’ve had to do it again 3 times since then. It works every time, but it’s annoying for the app to suddenly start treating me as a non-customer on Apple TV until I can go to my desktop and activate it again.

Heres the link if you want to give it a shot without going through customer service: https://www.paramountplus.com/sportsline

FYI, The Good Fight is back for season 5.

Episode 1 is essentially a flashback going through all the events of 2020 and how it impacts the show’s characters.

Pretty well done, although I’m not 100% sure I wanted to relive that year even in a TV show…

Yeah, having the first ep of Good Fight recap 2020, I turned to my wife and commented on holy shit what a year 2020 was.

I have to confess, I love The Good Fight. Far more interesting to me than the Good Wife ever was. Fight continues to be one of my personal favorite shows on TV. As mentioned already, the musical asides to explain something can be a little annoying, but otherwise the show has a stellar cast, consistently good writing, and always keeps me entertained.

Initially I really enjoyed Good Fight, but feel that they got progressively more fantastical / insane and lost me on the way. I agree that the first 2 seasons were better than the last few of Good Wife, but midway through last season (with the satirical play) I jumped ship.

With the new season beginning I’m contemplating giving it another go, but suspect its just not for me anymore.

My wife and I absolutely love The Good Fight. It’s true that the storylines have become almost ridiculously over-the-top, from the Trump Derangement stuff to the key that led to Epstein’s Island, but it’s all very well written and funny, and every once in awhile I actually learn something new thanks to the legal and political angles they sometimes explore on the show. It is fun television, and this new season hasn’t disappointed thus far. The end credits of the 2020 recap episode were fantastic.

Having praised The Good Fight I will say the fifth season’s eighth episode was terrible in my mind. They already pushed the Judge Wackner plot line too far earlier in the season but the eighth episode drives it into a wall.

Is that the “purple zone” episode? I agree, that was more than a little far-fetched.

It was, yes. When they explained the half-court’s legitimacy as basically people agreeing to arbitration, that was one thing, but when it’s not…

Paramount+ has a documentary about The Dream Team. I really enjoyed it. The actual Olympics happen in episode 3. The first two episodes lead up to it, and the last two episodes grapple with the aftermath and how it changed sports and basketball, and follows the careers of some of the players in the aftermath. Great stuff for basketball fans. This one doesn’t cast Michael Jordan in a universally positive light like the documentary from ESPN.

Not that it matters but I finally got to the end of The Good Fight. It’s amazing how it just fell off a cliff for me in terms of quality in those last few episodes. It leaned in way too far into its nonsense plot line, doubling down to a resolution so on the nose that it was painful. I’ll check out a future season to see if they can right the ship but I couldn’t believe how stupid I found the show as it wore on.

That’s disappointing to hear, guess I’m not even going to bother with season 5 after all. Thanks for the heads up!

Paramount Pictures Chairman and Chief Executive Jim Gianopulos will step down from the ViacomCBS-owned studio, according to two people familiar with the matter who were not authorized to comment.

Parent company ViacomCBS is expected to name Brian Robbins, currently president and CEO of Nickelodeon, as Gianopulos’ replacement, the people familiar with the plans said. ViacomCBS could announce the appointment as soon as next week.

Executives and agents credited Gianopulos with improving Paramount’s filmmaker relationships. The studio returned to profitability under his leadership. But his desire to protect movies and filmmakers from corporate mandates to boost the streaming business caused friction, people familiar with the matter said.

In contrast, Robbins is said to be more willing to embrace the digital revolution in Hollywood. Robbins is widely credited with the success of “Paw Patrol: The Movie,” based on the Nickelodeon show of the same name, which drove significant sign-ups to Paramount+ when it recently premiered on the platform at the same time as its theatrical release.

I had seen a few episodes of the Good Fight when my wife was watching it, and had seen the Olympic swimmer / trans episode. I was surprised that a show would tackle that, and appreciated that the show portrayed it as a tough question of how to be fair and sensitive to all interested parties.

Given that expectation, I went back to watch the show from the start, and watched the entire run over the last few months. For a show that started off as reasonably well written and thoughtful, it was sad to see the show start to lose those characteristics as time went on. Season 4 was significantly weaker than previous seasons (and good lord, those musical interludes were terrible - if you were watching the show, I’d think you already knew at least the basics about the issues, so the songs were too remedial to be useful.)

Season 5 was just a bad joke. They wanted to get to the endpoint of episode 10, and plotted an increasingly ridiculous series of events to get them there.

What happened to many of the lead actors who were dissapearered? Did they quit on their own, or were they let go?

Good, as long as they don’t go the Disney route of making certain movies an additional $20-30 charge on top of the subscription. While I hate that everyone has splintered off into their own service we clearly aren’t going back to consolidated offerings. Paramount+ has been a complete afterthought for me after watching one or two series - though it will start to have some value again with the NFL season starting up.

I watched the last episode of The Good Fight tonight.

I think I agree with the consensus that it jumped the shark this season.

I don’t know if that was the last year for the series or not.

I would agree with this summary. I totally get where the writers were going with the whole Judge Wackner people’s court thing (and Mandy Patinkin is great as usual), but crossing the streams with the drug lord client was too much. Hell, even having the drug lord as a client was a misstep for the show as RBL would never have agreed to represent a client like that in criminal defense in past seasons. Maybe they were trying to use that to illustrate how desperate the firm was to retain big money clients in the wake of being bought out by the Dubai conglomerate, but it just fell flat, especially when they kept attempting to make humor out of Rivi and his wife’s constant threats to kill people and references to their cartel empire, huge miss.

Again, I get that the whole idea was to illustrate how as corrupt and slanted as the justice system is (and they already went there with Memo 618 last season), circumventing the system will eventually result in failure and chaos, but man did they ever ham-fist it. The writers on this show have become too clever for their own good, trying to inject humor and absurdity into every opening until the script becomes one long string of ridiculous events that overshadow the points the show wants to make.

This show really misses the parity and nuance brought by characters like Adrian, Maia, Lucca and even Roland Blum (played hilariously by Michael Sheen). While I liked the increased focus on Marissa and Jay this season, I did not like how they used Jay with the hallucinations and PTSD from long-haul COVID (it’s way too soon to attempt to make that shit humorous).

Overall a disappointing season that lacked the quality and care that was put into the previous seasons. I hope that was just a symptom of pandemic production, and that Season Six gets back on track.

While I haven’t watched Yellowstone, make it a western like this and I am all in.

They had me at Sam Elliott. <3

12/19/21

Should I be watching Yellowstone first before I watch the spinoffs?

Apparently Yellowstone Seasons 1-3 are on Peacock Premium right now.
Season 4 is only on cable right now. Will come to Peacock Premium in 2022.
And the two spinoffs, 1883 and 6666 are going to be on Paramount+.

I haven’t watched any Yellowstone, but this trailer for 1883 looks interesting and the show has pretty high production values!

https://youtu.be/wlKOjZL4Uc0

(also, you can never go wrong casting Sam Elliot! Not sure about those two singers though…)