It's time for a Paramount+ thread

Interested in this. More so than Yellowstone, which I’ve seen all of. I know they filmed a bunch of scenes over at the Stockyards in Ft Worth. Would have thought it would be easer to make a set then ‘old’ up a a modern place. Plenty of oldtimey looking buildings, to be sure. But still modern.

I’ve enjoyed Yelllowstone well enough, but pretty much everyone and I mean everyone is a raging asshole at least every other episode. Maybe that’s how Dallas and Dynasty was back in the day. But the show is gorgeous.

Edit: Oooh, had no idea there was gonna be a spinoff 6666 show. I’ll def watch that since I went to school out in Lubbock and operated a few oil leases for a few years in the 6666 part of Texas. Interesting.

Seems like quite a deal

Where did you get that?

T-Mobile Tuesday, for T-Mobile customers.

If you blow up the picture, you will see that its a T Mobile offer.

Hey cool, I’m a T-Mobile customer!

That’s a nice deal. We’re AT&T so I guess we’re out of luck.

I was AT&T a couple of months ago. But I took advantage of their “we’ll pay off your device” offer to switch. Got $799.99 in an electronic debit card, and I got to ditch AT&T.

I signed up for it via T-Mobile, and am amazed how bad the Praramount+ app is. We watched an episode of Voyager on it. It had VHS-style scanning at the top, no skip intro button and terrrrrrible captioning.

Prime, on the other hand, looked way better, had a skip intro button and great captions.

Glad I’m not paying for this.

Can’t you watch it on the Paramount+ app?

Er that’s what I was talking about. I edited my thing to make that more clearly. The P+ app is terrible.

I’m not all that into Trek so I don’t see a lot of new stuff on Paramount that I’d want to see. Probably Evil. Not sure what else.

Oh, yeah, no doubt. They need to acquire Gojo before Waystar Royco does and beef up their new media streaming.

I’m into Trek, so I’ve enjoyed it overall, though I agree with Brian that their app is still terrible.

But it’s been slowly improving. At least they’ve fixed their watching something and continuing later from that same point issue. And they have a watchlist now, which makes it much easier to keep track of movies I want to see on there.

Let’s see, Mark, non-Trek stuff that I watch on P+:

• Late Show with Stephen Colbert 5 nights a week
  • Daily Show sometimes, Trevor Noah is good sometimes, other times he annoys me
  • Dream Team documentary about the 1992 dream team documentary is decent
  • I’ve been slowly making my way through Legend of Korra, good show, spinoff of Avatar: Last Airbender (which they also have)
  • They have lots of great movies in their back catalogue, here’s a sampling:

This list is slightly better. Again a lot of movies that you’ve probably already seen, but maybe some you haven’t.

Here’s the Tomato meter ranking of their TV shows.

Thanks. I just have so many TV options with Prime, Netflix, HBO Max, Apple TV, and DirecTV Stream along with the free antenna stuff and Pluto that it’s hard to even consider paying for more. I now have Disney Plus but my free month is expiring so I need to cancel.

I think we will lose our HBO and DirecTV Stream since my GF is leaving AT&T next week, but even Prime and Netflix and the remaining six months of our free Apple TV and the antenna stuff seem more than enough. I think my TV viewing is 15 hours a week, give or take a few, so it’s not that hard to fill it up.

Yeah, same here. 15 hours is about right, and most of that is on Sundays for me, my day off. And I currently use most of that Sunday TV viewing time for NFL games, so that’s even less time for streaming services.

Oh, speaking of which, that’s another nice perk of having Paramount+ if you have it for cheap: even if you’re out and about on Sundays, if you have access to wifi, you can view the CBS NFL games on the Paramount+ app.

If you’re an American Express cardholder, check your offers online for one that kicks back $5 per month (so 50%) on Paramount+ for three months. You have to click the offer to activate it. I tried grabbing a web link, but apparently you have to be logged into your AMEX account to be able to see the offer.

We will be watching the 1883 Yellowstone spin-off later this month, as we enjoy Yellowstone a lot. We’ll probably watch the 6666 spin-off as well, as the Yellowstone scenes with Jimmy having been transferred there are interesting.

Other good stuff on Paramount+ includes Mayor of Kingstown (Jeremy Renner), SEAL Team (now a P+ Exclusive for some reason), all three Dick Wolf FBI shows (FBI, FBI : Most Wanted and FBI : International), Evil (though quality varies by episode), The Good Fight (same), and of course all of the Star Trek content, with Discovery (now in it’s 4th season) and Lower Decks being the standouts.

It’s honestly one of the better values in streaming television. Netflix is still undisputed heavyweight king obviously, and Amazon Prime is great but I consider it to be basically free since I’m buying Prime for the shipping and everything else is gravy. All the other services, from Hulu to Disney+ to Peacock to HBO Max all have excellent stuff now and then, just not a consistent string of stuff good enough to keep me from unsubbing for months at a time, then coming back and binging. Every time I’ve been about to cancel Paramount+ though, they suddenly seem to come up with something new I want to watch. Are they spying on me? Is someone in my house feeding them information about my television preferences? Do I even care as long as I can keep watching?

Especially at the $35 for a year and a half deal that a lot of us took advantage of last year.

We started watching Yellowstone and are very much enjoying it, but I get the melodrama complaint. I think it’s well done melodrama, but it’s definitely playing that game of how much of it can we cram in an hour.

The answer is, at times, an absurd amount.